WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ebel, as a high-quality etablisseur, used very nice movements in its watches. Some are top and chronometer-grade ETAs, but many came from the deeper end of the pool. Famously, their Sport Classic Chronograph used the Zenith El Primero from 1982 to 1995, and Ebel was the first to do so after Zenith's Vermot had squirreled away the tooling during the Quartz Crisis. Ebel started using their own Lemania-based chronograph movement in 1995.

But they used some other famous movements, too. The Ebel calibre 330, for example, is a Girard-Perregaux 3300.

Another three-hand auto the used in the 90's is their calibre 060 and 080. This movement is a Lemania 8810. Lemania bought the movement tooling from Longines, where it was the L990. The 990/8810 uses serially connected dual mainsprings, where the auto winder powers only the first (which is the only one of the two to have a slip clutch to prevent over winding). The second spring is fixed on both ends like a hand-winder. This allows the second mainspring to move faster, which reduces power-train force. The result is very even power transmission and one of the thinnest autos ever made. It has been used by Breguet (expected given that Lemania is now Manufacture Breguet) and by other haute horlogerie companies (Vacheron, for example), often as a tractor for a chronograph complication.

(Pic from an article linked below.)

This article describes the movement in detail and comes to very balanced conclusions about it (including why it should not be routinely hand-wound):

Ebel Lichine Sr The Ebel 060 (Lemania 8810) Longines cal L.990 automatic caliber

Ebel used this movement in several models, including this 1911 Senior, during the late 80's and 90's when they were riding high. The blue-dialed ST5 project watch made me want to expand my blue-dial repertoire, and this one is a uniquely Ebelian execution, with polished rhodium-plated hands and markers on the blue dial. And it's my first 1911 on a bracelet. The watch is in the Ebel 38mm case like my 1911 auto, though that measurement is from the smallest available diameter in this hexagonal watch. It is only 9mm thick.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389560686.166063.jpg

More pics eventually.

Rick "the Ebel saga continues" Denney

·
Registered
15,919 Posts
Don't much care for the look of current Ebel models, but this one is way cool, both dial side and movement. Congrats on adding to your growing Ebel stash - wishing many more to come!!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
When I saw the thread title say 'Incoming: Ebel...' I already had a pretty good idea who wrote it!
Domo "Looking forward to seeing some real pics"

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
Excellent acquisition. I had the same watch with the cal 330 and really shouldn't have sold it. You will love the bracelet. The polished centre links were a little much for me and the main reason I sold it - buying a strap was a bit too costly. But there's no question it was the most comfortable case and bracelet I've ever worn.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
You're going to singlehandedly keep this company in the men's watch game! That's always been an interesting design which fits right in with Datejust, Aqua Terra and SARB style watches - but with a bit of a twist. Also, I'm not sure how you get your stuff but grey market site Inventory Adjusters often has a decent selection of Ebles on hand.

·
Premium Member
36,117 Posts
They make some of the most comfortable bracelets I have ever worn. Nice choice.

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, I'm not sure how you get your stuff but grey market site Inventory Adjusters often has a decent selection of Ebles on hand.
I know. :)

Rick "who usually buys at Movado Company Stores but have never seen this model there" Denney

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Very nice, Rick. I had about a dozen Iterations of the Sportwave several years ago, as well as this too-small model.

Family Pictures 2054.jpg

BTW, your link doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice, Rick. I had about a dozen Iterations of the Sportwave several years ago, as well as this too-small model.

View attachment 12364151

BTW, your link doesn't work.
I posted this three years ago--links do go stale! I'm not even sure I remember what I was linking to.

I completely agree that Lichine was very interesting, but too small.

Here's my favorite Sportwave--the Aquatica 500 Limited Edition.

But made too late to get a Lemania movement, and even too late for a Girard-Perregaux movement.

Rick "thinking 'Incoming' posts are at least somewhat ephemeral" Denney

·
Registered
914 Posts
here is one I have

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
apparently not by me, took to 2 of best here in the cleveland, oh area and they said they absolutely can't get parts from movado

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"parts", is something broken?
Most good watchmakers want to replace the barrel, crown, and tube as a matter of routine. And the gaskets are custom. You can service the watch without all that, of course, but I had a couple of well-known techs here turn me down because of that.

But MGI Service will service it fairly reasonably.

Rick "who serviced five watches with them this year" Denney

·
Registered
41,183 Posts
Good would be a real stretch here.
Most good watchmakers want to replace the barrel, crown, and tube as a matter of routine. And the gaskets are custom. You can service the watch without all that, of course, but I had a couple of well-known techs here turn me down because of that.

But MGI Service will service it fairly reasonably.

Rick "who serviced five watches with them this year" Denney

1 - 20 of 26 Posts