WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At $125 shipped...EDIT: $115 shipped as of July 1st!! (Overstock + coupons) I am thinking what a deal for a Hamilton! I have a couple divers but wanted something slim with a leather strap for slightly dressier occasions. I'm a big fan of automatics, but I'm going to try and see if I can love a quartz, since this is essentially half the price of the auto version.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nice looking watch. I am very happy with my quartz Hamilton. Not as exciting as an automatic, but a very good watch for the money. Something about the simple Hamilton Khaki dial just appeals to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just received this very watch from Overstock.com this morning, and it is a very attractive piece. But I can't help but wonder if it might not be a genuine Hamilton. Low price aside, there are a couple of odd things about the watch.

For starters, the model number listed on the website is different from the model number on the watch I received. On the website, it is listed as model number H68411553. But the back of my watch is engraved H684410. According to Hamilton customer service, that number corresponds with watch model H68411253, which has a white face and a black leather band. The Hamilton rep said they do not make a Khaki quartz with a white face and brown band like the one Overstock.com sells.

The band itself is branded Hamilton, but looks different from other genuine Hamilton bands I've seen. The Hamilton logo on the buckle is very small and is engraved along one side. The Hamilton bands I've seen always had a large logo centered on the buckle. Also, the holes are oval, not round.

Other info: On the back of the watch it is engraved sapphire crystal and water resistant 100 meters (even though Overstock lists it as a mineral crystal and gives no water resistant depth rating). There is also a large "H" engraved on the back, tilted at a 45-degree angle.

I don't want to get paranoid about this. I know that Overstock sells gray market watches--and I don't think they would knowingly sell fakes--so it could just be a color combo intended for the European or Asian market. Or it could be that Overstock's listed specs are simply wrong; or that Hamilton once made a watch in these colors and Overstock bought up the discontinued model; or that they put a brown band on a watch that should have had a black one. It just gives me pause that there are several things together that don't seem to add up.

Can anyone offer insight about this? Does anyone else have this watch, with these specs, purchased from an authorized dealer? As I say, the watch is very well made--so much so that I doubt it's fake. The best case scenario is that it is actually a much better watch than Overstock lists it as. More than anything, I just want to know if it's really possible to buy a genuine Hamilton watch with a sapphire crystal and 100 m water resistance for a little over $100 bucks.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks very much for the quick response.

Overstock, Ashford and The Watchery all list this same watch with the same model number. What's strange is, it's different from the model number on the actual watch, and Hamilton says this face/band combination doesn't exist. Unless all three of these companies are selling the same Hamilton knockoff--which I doubt--I'm guessing it has to be a discontinued or overseas model and Hamilton doesn't have it in their records. I'd just like to know!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Thanks very much for the quick response.

Overstock, Ashford and The Watchery all list this same watch with the same model number. What's strange is, it's different from the model number on the actual watch, and Hamilton says this face/band combination doesn't exist. Unless all three of these companies are selling the same Hamilton knockoff--which I doubt--I'm guessing it has to be a discontinued or overseas model and Hamilton doesn't have it in their records. I'd just like to know!
That sounds logical to me..
Its just probably a older model, and most of the time customer service does not know what there own company has out on the market. I would say you have a real Hamilton..|>

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Time4lunch, hi, I'm the guy who started this thread. The Hamilton is sitting in front of me and I have never questioned whether it was real or not since it does appear to be very high quality. About the leather strap, I have had a Hamilton Khaki King Automatic before and the strap appeared to be the same leather, although you're right the buckle is different.

I have looked on the Hamilton website and while this model is not listed, and also the rep said they never had this combination, I suppose it could be a model/strap combination in the past since these things probably likely change. As for getting a good price on it, I think the quartz models just go for much cheaper than the auto's.

I've searched high and low on the web and found many retailers selling this watch, although some of them have the wrong specs too (33mm case? Yeah right. 18mm band? It's actually 20...). I would chalk that up to error on the retailers part...

Either way, I think it's real. :)

http://www.superchrono.com/index.ph...ucts_id=1333&zenid=ukg42jpqmmcha24jcoftn7sb74

http://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-khaki-watch-h68411553.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Str8flexed,

I think you're right. It's funny, though, that even the two sites you link to can't get their specs straight! One says it's a mineral crystal, the other, sapphire. And both have the "wrong" model number. As you say, it's probably a case of the seller not knowing his stock.

I'm curious: What does the back of your watch case look like? Does it say sapphire, 100 meters, and is there a large "H" engraved in the center of the case with "Hamilton" beneath it? And what serial number is engraved on it?

By the way, I called Overstock this morning when I saw that the price had dropped over the weekend. They didn't hesitate to match the new price. I've got to say I'm pretty impressed with their quick delivery and customer service.

·
12,320 Posts
Here's another option, Hamilton (like many other brands) could have made a watch exclusive to one retailer, these are not listed on websites and the retailer they made them for can list or not list the specs. Now say that retailer has too many of them and sells them to gray market dealers. Now you have a genuine Hammy that no one knows anything about.

I have Seiko that was made exclusively for Macy's, I contacted Seiko to make sure it was real and they said I could call if I wanted to ask about it, but would not tell me if it was genuine or not. Once these are made for a retailer I think they disavow any knowledge. I am sure it's genuine, a small, 'exclusive' tag was tucked in with the watch. But as far a Seiko goes, it does not exist, there is no reference to the part number on Macy's or Seiko's site.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Six years later, I just bought my second Hamilton Khaki H684410, only this time I paid $225 from Ashford, whereas the first time back about four years ago I only paid $125. Still, it's one of the best quartz watches you can buy, even at $225. It is an old model, and where Ashford gets them I have no idea, but they are genuine.(I bought several of these and a couple other Hamiltons from Ashford back in 2009-2010.) My new one came with a solid link bracelet and a push-button clasp although the one shown in the eBay ad had a fold-over clasp. I was really happy as my original Khaki also had the push-button clasp and I prefer it. I like the look of the Khaki shown at the beginning of this discussion, with the white face and the brown strap, but it is nowhere to be found. This model and the one with the white dial are different from a similar Khaki that also comes with either a brown or black strap, but never with a bracelet. It looks cheaper, has a wider bezel and is simply not as attractive, yet it too sells for over $200 nowadays.

This is a photo I took of the original Khaki, just like the one I received yesterday:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.