WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The discounts were stacked on each other this weekend, resulting in paying less than 25 cents on the retail dollar. Couldn't pass it up, even though I'm really all Ebeled up at the moment. But my 1911 BTR Chronograph now has a sister, a 1911 BTR Chronograph. But they are not twins; the new one uses the caliber 139, which has a truly unique hands display--I've never seen another chronograph like it. I had previously seen the 139 (and the 245 and others) on the Tekton, which I haven't learned to like. This is the first I've seen it in the 44mm BTR case. Here's a couple of quick lousy iPad pics:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382852090.823472.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382852212.188697.jpg

The Caliber 139 is a variation on the 137, which was Ebel's exclusive version developed with Nouvelle Lemania before they were bought by Swatch. The base is a Lemania 1350, of course, but with many specific Ebel design additions. Movado hired Thomas van der Kallen to head up Ebel when MGI bought Ebel in 2004, and he was the force behind the BTR line, which he introduced in 2007. He found the cal. 139 drawings in a desk drawer, where they had languished without approval to manufacture under LVMH. They started production and ran from maybe 2009 until late 2011. By this time, Lemania was Manufacture Brequet, under the Swatch yoke, and no longer available to Ebel. So they used Dubois Depraz to make the specialized parts for the movement, and then Ebel assembled and adjusted the movements in their shops.

The dial is a skeleton, and the perlage in the pictures is the dial-side of the main plate of the movement. The running seconds is shown by a three-pointed star hand in an open circle on the left. The minute totalizer uses a three-pointed hand that runs around the center arbor, counting up to 30 on a 120-degree sector dial between 10 and 2. When one point gets to 30, the next point is reaching zero to count up the next half hour. The hour totalizer is a rotating dial visible through a dial opening at the bottom, and is marked in half hours. The date ring is mostly hidden by the chapter ring, and the date window is at 3. It has a magnifier, but it is mounted on the dial under the crystal--no silly bump on the surface of the crystal. Instead of the rubber bezel on my other BTR Chrono, this one has a steel bezel with a tachymeter engraved in its front surface--this is a larger and more readable tachymeter scale than on the regular BTR.

The crown has a black rubber insert with the Ebel logo, but the black pushers are not rubber, but rather PVD-coated steel. Only the crown is a screw-down. WR is 10 ATM, as with the cal. 137 BTR. But the black alligator strap is certainly not waterproof. Crystal is double AR-coated, as is the case with all Ebels, and as well done as any watch I've seen. But the crystal is flat, as with most Ebels except the Brasilia.

COSC-certified, of course, as were all the BTR-era 1911 models.

I'm backed up on pictures with the good camera, but these will hopefully do for now.

Rick "noting the best combinations of discounts seen on Ebels yet" Denney

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Nice watch.....So, how long have you been working for Ebel,now?

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
It's a unique and interesting chronograph. What percent of the Ebels on this forum do you think you own now? ;-) Congrats on your new Ebel!

·
Banned
510 Posts
I have an Ebel and love it. That face is too busy more my taste though, but if you like it go for it. It's definitely an interesting looking watch.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Interesting piece although aesthetically is not my cup of tea. It reminds of Cartier Rotonde center chronograph.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Gorgeous! I haven't seen that one before.
I'm wearing an Ebel dual time today - one of my favorite dressier watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
While not an Ebel fan and probably will never get one I must admit this is a nice looking watch.

Enjoy it :)

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all. Yes, the dial is busy, but I already have a range of chronographs, including those with classic good looks. No collection is diminished by having some stuff that pushes boundaries a bit. This is one of the few cutaway dials that looks like it was truly designed to be such, and it pays (slight) homage to the early 50's Ebel Videomatic.

It isn't a complicated dial for the sake of being complicated. This is one of those that invites close inspection, and then rewards it. Very little about the dial is mere decoration.

And despite having become an Ebel fan boy, I get that the case shape doesn't work for everybody. But there are few watch companies that have succeeded in establishing a characteristic look. Most watches require close enough observation to see the logo to ID them, unless one happens to know a particular model. Not so Ebels in the hexagonal case. They display brand DNA without it being merely decorative. And nobody will accuse them of being a Rolex wannabe, or Yet Another Pilot watch.

Rick "who isn't worried about having nothing to bring to a GTG" Denney

Reactions: skorN83

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Congrats on the watch, Rick.

Based on your posts, I've been interested in vintage Ebels lately. I don't know where to start, but the one from the ad above is great looking.

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats on the watch, Rick.

Based on your posts, I've been interested in vintage Ebels lately. I don't know where to start, but the one from the ad above is great looking.
It isn't easy. Ebel made watches for other companies under contract (including some very high-end companies), and that was most of their business until well into the 70's. There are not many that show up with their label from the 50's and 60's. I looked for a while to get my old one, and then overpaid to make sure I got it.

Rick "who bought on eBay and then had it serviced" Denney

Reactions: ImitationOfLife

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Great catch Rick! That is a crazy cool dial. I can't wait to see it in the steel!

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
That piece is so full of character; I've never seen a chronograph like it before. I like it Rick.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
It isn't easy. Ebel made watches for other companies under contract (including some very high-end companies), and that was most of their business until well into the 70's. There are not many that show up with their label from the 50's and 60's. I looked for a while to get my old one, and then overpaid to make sure I got it.

Rick "who bought on eBay and then had it serviced" Denney
Yes, I remember the thread about your old Ebel at the vintage forum. I'll have to dig it up. It's a gorgeous piece.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Congratulations on an amazing pick up!!! Ebel is one of my favorite watches to wear out of my whole collection. It's insane that they didn't take of in a market that COSC, In-house titles mean so much, it shows how the right marketing means SOOO much in this industry.. Now Hayek swept them under his floor so the competition for Tag & Omega wouldn't be as big. Even though he bought the company, he didn't put it on par as his other brands as far as building up the name and brand. I'm sure if he did the brand would be on par with the others mentioned as far as popularity. It does say something that he took the movement & used it for Breguet to then shelling it of to UN. One hell of a good looking watch IMO & the comfort is unrivaled out of my whole collection in steel.
IMG_20131010_235101.jpg

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Congratulations Rick, Ebel makes some solid watches and offer particularly heavy value. I hope you're enjoying your time as a brand ambassador ;-)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts