WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished a F2F deal with another forum member and I’m now the very happy owner of a Polar 16570!

Some random comments and thoughts:

-I wanted a versatile daily wearer with a date function. I had been wearing my Sub (114060) on a daily basis but it felt a little too sporty at times at work and not having a date window was a little annoying. The 16570 goes better with my daily work attire. Sub now moves to weekend/pool/beach days. Lange for formal occasions.

-This older style case with non-SEL and tapered bracelet just fits my smaller 16cm wrist better. The bracelet doesn’t feel as robust as my Sub but it feels more comfortable as the entire watch just hugs my wrist in a way that the Sub does not. I was looking into straps but I’m just going to keep it on the bracelet for now. Like most Rolexes, they just work on the bracelet.

-I love the white dial with blackened white gold hands and indices. The contrast adds great depth to the watch. The cyclops is a little more discreet with a white dial. White dial professional models are fairly rare. Even after a few hours of wearing, it still feels a little weird to look down at my wrist and see a white dial Rolex. It’s like my brain has been programmed to expect a black dial. I’m sure I’ll get used to it soon enough.

-I ended up with a Swiss only dial. This is marketed as a rare dial by sellers but I don’t know if it’s a big deal. This was not a factor in my search and decision-making. That being said, I figure it can’t hurt to have a Swiss only dial and it may potentially provide value down the road. FWIW, it also verifies the time period of the watch (1998-1999) and that it is not a service dial.

-The jumping hour hand is super cool and I can’t wait to use it once we can start traveling again.

-Now that I have spent some time with it, I’m truly curious as to why these have not appreciated even more. Granted they have appreciated a great deal but they still don’t have the cult following of Pepsis and Cokes. Many have the same 3185 movement. Apart from the rotating and colored bezel, I don’t see a huge difference. I had looked into buying the 16570 a few years ago because I thought it was similar to the GMTs but at a more approachable price point. At the time they were as low as $3-4k. I decided to jump in now before they get to the $10k mark. Not sure if it will happen but with the current state of the Rolex and steel markets, I wouldn’t be surprised.

-Speaking of GMTs, like many many others I am on the AD’s “list” for a BLNR/BLRO/CHNR. I still plan to purchase if I ever get the call. However, with the 16570, I think the wait will be a lot easier. If you are waiting for a GMT like me, I would suggest this watch to at least temporarily scratch that itch.

Thanks for reading. Would love to hear the thoughts of other fellow Polar 16570 owners as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
Congrats. Most versatile watch in my collection. I've worn it with a suit or, like today, with jeans and a t-shirt.

With respect to your value thought, I paid just under 5k from a known reseller in January 2018. That same seller has a comparable F series 16570 polar for 8k. That's a fairly impressive appreciation in under 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
While I never bought one, I always thought the white dialed EII was a classic in the making. Well done.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Congrats. Most versatile watch in my collection. I've worn it with a suit or, like today, with jeans and a t-shirt.

With respect to your value thought, I paid just under 5k from a known reseller in January 2018. That same seller has a comparable F series 16570 polar for 8k. That's a fairly impressive appreciation in under 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That’s fair. Thinking about % appreciation, it has been impressive. I feel like the 16570s were very undervalued to begin with and so even with appreciation, they are still approachable. It will be interesting to see what happens if and when Rolex updates the E2. Given the current trends, I imagine they will try to make it a little closer to this model vs the 216570, likely go to 41 mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Well done mate.. I knocked back a SD43 for a explorer2.
So be it
Yours looks Stella!!
Dave

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
always loved this watch. it's my most favorite GMT Models beside the Sky-Dweller.
congratulations.. wear it in good health.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts