WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an IWC ingenieur which has the SW200 movement and noticed that sometimes it loses time and sometimes it gains time. The time it loses and gains varies also. Once it gained a second in a day and one time it lost 9 seconds. Am I being paranoid or should I get the watch regulated? I assume it is how I wear it that affects the accuracy but I've never had a watch this inconsistent before. This is my first Sellita watch. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Within specs... Regulation is more appropriate when error is consistent (ex: -10 daily can be regulated easier than +1/-9)
Positional variance on these is not uncommon.

Reactions: rfortson and ike773

·
Premium Member
9,466 Posts
The degree a watch is wound...the position a watch is in (if not on your wrist)...these can dramatically change a watch's rate.

Reactions: ike773

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
phew! good to know. Its just that I compare it to the watches (not a lot) that I previously owned and never seen this kind of variance. I had ETA 2824 and Valjoux 7750 movements in my watches before.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Is the variance occurring over the course of wearing it, or does it occur when you have set the watch down overnight or longer?

Watches run differently as they wind down, as well as in different positions, so setting a watch down for a time can have a significant impact on its variance.

If the variance is occuring while you're wearing it, then it might need servicing (you didn't say how old the watch is).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the variance occurring over the course of wearing it, or does it occur when you have set the watch down overnight or longer?

Watches run differently as they wind down, as well as in different positions, so setting a watch down for a time can have a significant impact on its variance.

If the variance is occuring while you're wearing it, then it might need servicing (you didn't say how old the watch is).
I just purchased it from a gray market dealer a couple of weeks ago so I'm not sure how long they've had it. I did wear it sporadically, sometimes on my wrist the entire day and sometimes only for a couple of hours.. so yes, I guess I'm just being paranoid. Getting a lot of good info from this thread, though!

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I just purchased it from a gray market dealer a couple of weeks ago so I'm not sure how long they've had it. I did wear it sporadically, sometimes on my wrist the entire day and sometimes only for a couple of hours.. so yes, I guess I'm just being paranoid. Getting a lot of good info from this thread, though!

With sporadic wear - if power reserve is low, performance may be affected.
Wind it fully by hand, set to atomic clock, then wear a full day, then check accuracy 24 hrs later after initial wind.
Test and repeat.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
As others have said I don’t think it’s unusual given highly variable wear patterns and state of wind. Btw, I believe it would be an SW300 not SW200.

·
Premium Member
22,572 Posts
Regulation will not help a watch that is inconsistent in its timekeeping. The rate of a watch can be affected by the level of power reserve (isochronism), or the position the watch is stored (positional variance).

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Tip to whom it may concern: Learn the difference between "then" and "than", "you're" and "your", "there" and "their".
No offense, but its generally considered rude to lecture elderly on there grammar, especially in a passive\aggressive "to who it may concern" format. If their typing using there mobile or tablet , than its not unexpected to have grammatical errors, especially if there auto-correct than changes things. Correcting grammar in these context is wronger then making mistakes.
But than again, your probably aware of that

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
No offense, but its generally considered rude to lecture elderly on there grammar, especially in a passive\aggressive "to who it may concern" format. If their typing using there mobile or tablet , than its not unexpected to have grammatical errors, especially if there auto-correct than changes things. Correcting grammar in these context is wronger then making mistakes.
But than again, your probably aware of that
That was funny...

·
Registered
14,456 Posts
I have owned probably a dozen watches with that movement.

I've never been impressed by positional variance, winding efficiency, or power reserve.

My observations are that they are inferior to the 2824 and the specs are irrelevant now after the experimental data I've gathered for myself.

I think your movement sounds pretty typical.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have owned probably a dozen watches with that movement.

I've never been impressed by positional variance, winding efficiency, or power reserve.

My observations are that they are inferior to the 2824 and the specs are irrelevant now after the experimental data I've gathered for myself.

I think your movement sounds pretty typical.
Good. I was concerned that this is out of the ordinary. I dont mind the variance as long as there is nothing wrong with the movement. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts