WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope this is not a silly question, but do you do anything to increase the value of your vintage watches?

What i guess im wondering, is what can add value, and what is wasting money.
I dont mean servicing or restoration, but adding a correct box, correct buckle/strap, etc....

For example, would an Omega watch be worth more with a correct (expensive) strap with a little Omega logo on the buckle? Opposed to the cost of purchasing said buckle.

I hope that makes sense.

I have been looking for correct or close to, vintage boxes for some of the watches i have, and some of the examples i have seen are worth more than most of my watches.

Another example is a trench watch that i am looking for a strap for. I have found an original early strap in good vintage condition, but is three times the cost of a new repro.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
If you mean getting a dirty watch into a presentable condition, usually it's enough to have it cleaned and serviced, and a new crystal fitted. Then, value usually increases from nothing to something.

Generally, little do I care about what are my watches worth, so if you're thinking of stuff like doing some hype to sell a watch big- no, that's the last thing I would ever do. That's what Hoodwinkee does, and I loathe Hoodwinkee.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mkws, no i dont mean refurbishing or the like.

And I dont plan on selling my watches, just curious on what people who have been collecting a lot longer than i have think.

Do the simple things count? Hard to explain exactly what im getting at.
I need a new strap for my trench watch, and personaly i would much rather see it on an old and matching strap rather than a new one, just not sure if its worth the extra $ i guess its a personal thing too.

I collect a lot of things, and have been collecting vintage tin cars and the like, an original box will easily double the value for these things, so just wondering if its a similar deal in the watch world.

I dont sell my cars either, unless i need cash for something i have my eye on. And i can see a similar thing with watches as my taste may change, and i may look to sell here and there.

So is it wise to keep an eye open for accesories to add to your watches?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I think I know what you mean. And I like matching a watch and buckle that may have come with the watch or are at least period to it. And sometimes those accessories are expensive . I have been lucky to get a watch at a great price and then spent more than that to acquire a matching buckle. Nor have I sold any of these items but I have watched how items like this have sold. My impression is that if sold you would get more if you sold the watch and your matching band and buckle separately than if sold together. My frame of reference is more Hamiltons and Seikos rather than Rolex and Omega. So my opinion is bottom line certainly someone will pay more for a watch with the extras but you might not get back what it took to acquire them separately.

·
Registered
923 Posts
IMO you are comparing oranges with lemons when comparing vintage watches with vintage tin cars in original boxes. It's all about the market and demand. Millions upon millions of watches produced
Unless the watch is a very rare collectable or of a high value finding the original presentation box or attaching an original strap will add little if anything. More critical is the condition and originality of the case , hands and movement including its operation. Whereas vintage tin cars in original boxes especially unopened is very much in demand and worth much much more than the toy by itself.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Omega - correct metal bracelet for something like a speedmaster, is a big thing.
Depends- a ref. 1171 bracelet can still be ordered from Omega, so it won't really increase the value by much, if we're talking of 1968-1970/71 ref. 145.022. But indeed, a 1039, also correct for the reference, does increase the value by quite a bit.

·
Registered
555 Posts
When I first got into vintage watches (mostly Seikos) I spent many hours and dollars trying to track down "correct" manuals, boxes etc. Sometimes I was successful and now those items are collecting dust in my closet. In retrospect, I could have channeled both hours and cash to better use, but it was fun at the time. I doubt they will add significantly to the value of the watches since they are not original.
Conversely, when I picked up my 6105 it came with the original rubber strap, which is pretty rare these days. I wouldn't wear it on that 45 year old strap for love or money, but I'm pretty sure it enhances the value of the Seiko. Some might argue, perhaps correctly, that the strap would bring more sold alone than it would add to the selling price of the watch as a set. Who knows for sure? For now the strap also resides in the closet, while the 6105 enjoys the safety of a stainless bracelet.
I guess the bottom line is don't make the effort of a search for accessories on the chance that they will elevate the selling price of the watch at some future time; instead do it if having them will make enhance the ownership experience for you.

IMG_1341.JPG

IMG_1344.JPG

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I think I'm going to have to disagree (a least a little) with the above opinions.

In my 50+ years of collecting, and selling at least on a limited scale (I'm not big on selling) I've found that for watches I've sold that have the original band, and correct box, and hopefully original paperwork, the price I've received is sometimes double or triple what just the watch would have commanded.

Just my opinion.......

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Bracelets and such usually will be more expensive when you buy them seperate from a watch. So i dont think you will be adding value to your watch opposed to what you have to spend to acquire the bracelet in most cases.

For boxes goes the same.

Or you will have to find a very good deal on them ofcourse.

The only thing that would really add value to a watch is if you would buy the papers for it with correct serial number (which is basically impossible) and then buy a correct box and bracelet so you have the full set.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Anything old with original boxes and papers will fetch a significant premium compared to the same product without. Whether you can add value by buying for instance a box obviously depends on what you pay for it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I bought a Zenith from 1956 last year and it has a signed crown. Unfortunately, signed by Benrus, so...

I'm looking for a new crown and it will most likely be a generic. I'd like it to be signed but I won't pay ten times the cost or half of what I paid for the watch or any such amount. That said I'm always trolling and if I can get one for a bargain I'll take it!

Mike

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
To enhance the aesthetics of a watch, to make it more appealing I think it is import to fit the right strap or bracelet. By that I do not necessarily mean an original or one in your favourite colour, but one that suits the particular watch. I start of by deciding whether it will be a strap or bracelet, this is often determined by what lugs the watch has, 50s and 60s dress watches are obviously more at home on leather, whereas with a 70 chrono (like a Seiko) you can get away with a bracelet or mesh.

I like to think that the watch you are dealing with will 'find' it's correct band, by laying out your stock straps, one of them will look more at home on the watch in question than the others. I also use the picture framing rule, by taking colour cues from the watch dial, a gold watch with a cream dial looks nice on brown, whereas a silver dial watch with black markers is more in tune with a black strap. I've just managed to pick up a ZRC strap for my Aquastar which is the same colour as the blue dots in the chronograph, it can take time searching but it's worth it in the end.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think it's nice to have the original box if you can get it.
I bought a chronograph a short time back. I picked it up at the vendor's workplace.
It was given to him as a present in 1966. He was given a budget and preferred the design of the Enicar Sherpa Graph to the Rolex on offer ( same value apparently ).
Just as I was leaving his office with the watch he said
" Don't suppose you want the tacky old box it came in cos it's being held together with 1970's Sellotape ! "
" That will be nice, what's that stuck in the lid ? " I said.
" Instructions" he said.
Well, the instructions happen to be the only English language version I have ever seen. I've seen a French version with the same info but in landscape format.
Game, set and match I thought on the drive home ! Sometimes tacky is good
Added value ?
Not sure , certainly added interest and history ?

·
Registered
990 Posts
When it comes to MY vintage watches, while serious collectors will value things like having the proper buckle or crown or box, I don't care. I have always felt that it doesn't hurt to have an original band, buckle, or case/box, but who knows what the history of the watch was before I got it. Having an Elgin pocket watch in an Elgin case is nice, but that watch may have been re-cased 10 times before I got it. So I just look at it as nice things to have in case I want to sell.

But that is how I fell about my vintage watches.. I am the opposite when it comes to more modern/new watches I collect. I always look for complete box/paper sets because I know it will be important if or when I decide to sell. I picked up this Bell & Ross a few years ago and the main selling point was the complete box and papers (along with a few extra straps):

BRkit.jpg

I think it would be really difficult to sell something like this, and get a decent price, if all I had was the watch.

Ron

·
Registered
923 Posts
I suppose my point is that when talking about vintage watches a lot of the time the packaging was pretty ordinary and some of the time bore little relationship to the watch .
Perhaps if we are talking about a Rolex or the like it would be different.
For example I purchased the below Aquastar new and it came in a Tissot box ,see below, as they were the distributors in Australia. I also have boxes with the jewellers name not the watch brand. Would you pay extra for the box. I think not.
The Neuchatel dive watch came in the original box shown but I would not pay extra for it.
The packaging used for modern mid to high end watches are a different story.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Get some killer pictures with multiple strap combos, that's what sucks me in on listings. In terms of value wait till there are fewer for sale then charge the earth for them, or buy the others and destroy them!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think it's nice to have the original box if you can get it.
I bought a chronograph a short time back. I picked it up at the vendor's workplace.
It was given to him as a present in 1966. He was given a budget and preferred the design of the Enicar Sherpa Graph to the Rolex on offer ( same value apparently ).
Just as I was leaving his office with the watch he said
" Don't suppose you want the tacky old box it came in cos it's being held together with 1970's Sellotape ! "
" That will be nice, what's that stuck in the lid ? " I said.
" Instructions" he said.
Well, the instructions happen to be the only English language version I have ever seen. I've seen a French version with the same info but in landscape format.
Game, set and match I thought on the drive home ! Sometimes tacky is good
Added value ?
Not sure , certainly added interest and history ?

Very nice full set sherpa graph Kaz. Any dealer or collector would pay top dollar for your full set compared to other examples. In my experience, a full set vintage watch can exponentially increase the value of the watch given that the watch itself is in good condition. And yours is a perfect example. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts