WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 565 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that Energy Supply's kinetic charger is discontinued, and the available stock remains very pricey ($230-ish). I'm wondering what are the alternatives for those of us who only wear Seiko kinetic occasionally.

Some people have some success with toothbrush chargers, but seeing that there are a lot more induction chargers available now, I thought maybe it's time to start a thread to keep track of people's experiments. Currently I'm aware of the following chargers but haven't personally tried them:

(1) Wii controller chargers. For example, Energizer made something called flat panel for Wii.
(2) Powermat or other iphone induction chargers.
(3) MTM Special Ops watches come with their own induction chargers which can be purchased separately directly from them. I'm wondering if they will work for Seiko kinetic.
(4) Fossil also made a line of watches with their own induction chargers: has anyone tried them on the Kinetics?

All of the above options, if they work, would be significantly cheaper than getting a dedicated Seiko charger like the Energy Supply ones:-d

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would be interested in reading about any trials of these devices. I also have problem keeping my Seiko Kinetic charged as I only wear it about every ten days.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried to charge my 5m42 caliber with a sonicare elite charger without any luck. I had the watch case facing up and with the crown in the 12 o'clock and then the 6 o'clock position. The watch wasn't even warm (which was supposed to happen if it's charging), so I gave up.

Has anyone tried something similar? Anyone?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I've some news to report. I bought a charging stand from the Dakota Watch Company (google Dakota Watch REQ charging stand and you'll find the product) which I believe is made by Ricoh Elemex Corp--less than $30 shipped. Rumor has it, this is the same charger for the MTM special ops line of watches. I placed my Seiko SKH060 (5m42, original capacitor replaced with Maxell li-on battery) on it the way you would normally charge the Dakota line of watches (case face up). After 2 hours, I checked the indicator and got no improvements. I turned the Seiko 180 degree and tried again--still nothing. Then I opened the charging stand, and saw that the coil was located at the dead center. This time I moved the Seiko off center slightly so that one of the coils in the watch would lie across the center of the charger. 5 minutes later, bingo! The indicator moved from 20 unit to 30. I don't know how much the battery is charged within that time, since the indicator was designed for the original capacitor (holds 7-14 days worth of power), not the new rechargeable battery (6 months on full), but it's certainly doing something. I think I'll leave the watch on the charger overnight. Hopefully, Seiko has some kind of over-charging prevention mechanism. I don't know if there's any risk to this experiment. I just thought I'd share my observations. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Thanks - that's good to know. I had given up on using a charger because of the cost.
I'll have to check that Dakota charger out!

·
Registered
42 Posts
ptwang:

Please update when you have more info. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Three days later...indicator still shows full charge (30 units). Watch ticks happily and accurately; no discernable ill effects.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Three days later...indicator still shows full charge (30 units). Watch ticks happily and accurately; no discernable ill effects.
I was so excited when I saw your post. I have a 5m42 kinetic and I also replaced the capacitor with a lithium battery. I don't wear out often enough to give it much of a charge. My dakota charger arrived today. How exactly did you position your watch? I didn't do the battery replacement myself, so l am not sure where it is on the case. Do I place out off center with the 3 facing the stand or do I face the 9 towards the stand? Thanks for finding this. I have been looking for an economical solution to this for awhile.

You also mentioned charging case up. Did you charge case up or crystal up?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was so excited when I saw your post. I have a 5m42 kinetic and I also replaced the capacitor with a lithium battery. I don't wear out often enough to give it much of a charge. My dakota charger arrived today. How exactly did you position your watch? I didn't do the battery replacement myself, so l am not sure where it is on the case. Do I place out off center with the 3 facing the stand or do I face the 9 towards the stand? Thanks for finding this. I have been looking for an economical solution to this for awhile.

You also mentioned charging case up. Did you charge case up or crystal up?
The position of the battery doesn't matter; it's the coils that must be positioned close to the center. There's a see-thru back on my skh-060, and I can see two coils. One of them runs along the imaginary line from the crown to about the 35 or 40-minute mark. I placed the watch off-centered on the charger so that this line comes very close to the center of the charger. Experiment a little bit to see what works for you.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, indicator went down from 30 units to 20 units after about 4-5 days. I wonder if 8-hour of charge is not long enough. Some Dakota and MTM watches require charging up to 36 hours according to their instructions. I guess the up side of this is that the charger has low enough voltage to be safe for Seikos. My Seiko got slightly warm when it's been charged, never hot like it's been reported by owners of Energy Suppliers.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Updating my earlier post. I am happy to report that ptwang's find of the Dakota Watch REQ induction charger is a cost effective solution to charging my Seiko kinetic. I have an older 5m42 movement and had replaced the capacitors with a lithium battery about a year and half ago. The charge indicator on my watch is on the right side of the face (between 12 and 4 with 4 progressively larger sections indicating the charge level. After fiddling around with the placement of my watch on the REQ charger and leaving it on the charger for appox 1.5 weeks, my charge indicator is up to the 3rd hash mark, one more section to go to get a full charge. My caseback is solid and I did not do the battery replacement myself, so it was a guess as to the location of the coils inside the case. I suspect it took so long because I would periodically check the status of the charge and place the watch back on the charger probably in a position where the coils were not on top of the charger.

Thanks again ptwang!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Okay, I've some news to report. I bought a charging stand from the Dakota Watch Company (google Dakota Watch REQ charging stand and you'll find the product) which I believe is made by Ricoh Elemex Corp--less than $30 shipped. Rumor has it, this is the same charger for the MTM special ops line of watches. I placed my Seiko SKH060 (5m42, original capacitor replaced with Maxell li-on battery) on it the way you would normally charge the Dakota line of watches (case face up). After 2 hours, I checked the indicator and got no improvements. I turned the Seiko 180 degree and tried again--still nothing. Then I opened the charging stand, and saw that the coil was located at the dead center. This time I moved the Seiko off center slightly so that one of the coils in the watch would lie across the center of the charger. 5 minutes later, bingo! The indicator moved from 20 unit to 30. I don't know how much the battery is charged within that time, since the indicator was designed for the original capacitor (holds 7-14 days worth of power), not the new rechargeable battery (6 months on full), but it's certainly doing something. I think I'll leave the watch on the charger overnight. Hopefully, Seiko has some kind of over-charging prevention mechanism. I don't know if there's any risk to this experiment. I just thought I'd share my observations. YMMV.
I just got one of these chargers, to charge my Seiko BFK and Caesar Kinetics. They have the 5M62 movement, and so far I haven't had much luck getting them to charge. When you opened your charger, what shape was the coil, and how was it oriented? Thanks in advance for the info., it will save me from having to take mine apart!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the info!
I ordered the charger based on the success discussed here. Got it for 17$. Would this be the way to place the watch on the charger? I don't have a way to test for sure since it's become my main watch and it's stays at 6 months reserve. It tried to imagine the coil on the imaginary line between 8 and 10 o'clock and place that line at dead center on the charger..

Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to this thread, I too purchased a Dakota REQ. Now I just have to get it to work consistently. I have been trying multiple positions and both crystal up and crystal down with my 5M43 that still has a capacitor. Once I got lucky and the indicator went from 5 seconds to 10 so I know that the problem is positioning. The 2 visible coils are from 5 to 7 and 8 to 10. The question that I have is whether the 'vertically' positioning of the mentioned above be parallel with the line created by the plug in connection or not.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Hi,

I used a Braun toothbrush base with my discharged but upgraded (to lithium cell) Scubamaster Stingray SBCW003 with the face down and the top of the charger at the 10 O'Clock mark. It was charging for about 10hrs.

The watch was completely discharged and now shows 10 seconds when hitting the reserve button. I plan to put it back on the charger again tonight and get it to 20 seconds. It is possible to overcharge the Lithium cell so that will be good enough. I also have the same watch with a yellow face (SBCW005 I think) which has been discharged for over 2 years having been upgraded to Lithium. A bad idea I now know. I will try that one on the charger as soon as I can.

These watches are a nightmare to keep working if they are occasional use only so the toothbrush charger is going to be great! I would order the Dakota one, but they are out of stock and I live in HK.

All the best

Berni

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi Berni,

I'm really interested in this setup because I too happen to own a Braun toothbrush with the induction charger. Can you please post a picture showing the positioning of the watch and the charger ? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
WOW--my dakota induction charger arrived yesterday, $25.00 incl UPS shipping, and it DOES WORK VERY WELL!! thanks for all the great info guys. i have 3 kenetics and i dont wear any of them often so they are always DEAD when i need them. i was ready to sell all of them til this charger arrived. i pulled one out of my watch case, it was 100% DEAD, hasnt been worn in nearly a year and laid it on the dakota charger. within 5 min it was running with the 2 second movement!! after 8 hours--overnight-- it is now running normal. is that fantastic--FINALLY a way to keep em charged. i am going to give it plenty of time to charge before i hit the battery check button, i will report my results later.

1 - 20 of 565 Posts