WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All:

I am thinking of making checking accuracy a little easier and am looking for a good atomic clock that doesn't break the bank.

Can someone please recommend one and a source to purchase.

thanx,

scott

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Hey All:

I am thinking of making checking accuracy a little easier and am looking for a good atomic clock that doesn't break the bank.

Can someone please recommend one and a source to purchase.

thanx,

scott
Check out www.brunings.com if you do not see what you want call them, I know the web site is out of date.....because I take care of the site. They carry a large selection of atomic clocks this time of year.

Stephen

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Hi -

Unless you mean this, I think you'll have a better chance finding a radio clock than an atomic clock. Of course, if you really are looking for an atomic clock, this looks like a good place to find one. :)

What is often called an atomic clock is a clock that uses a 60 kHz very low frequency signal broadcast by the National Institute for Standards and Time (NIST) to set itself by to compensate for the normal drift of whatever system is used to keep time, such as a quartz crystal. In other words, the watch adjusts its internal time in sync with this source.

I know I'm being pedantic, but don't mean it in a bad way. I'd love to have an honest-to-god atomic clock! It'd be the geekiest christmas present of all time. :)

JohnF

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx guyz...thanx John. Yea, I can't afford to rebuild the clock in Boulder here, so yep, you are 100% right|>

I am looking for an inexpensive clock that receives the signal.

My neighbor and watch buddy let me borrow his Junghans to see how I like it before I buy one so I will try that for a few days.

kind regards,

scott

·
1,263 Posts
I picked up a battery powered radio controlled alarm clock at Wal Mart for about $20. I use it as a backup alarm clock/travel alarm clock and to check my watches for accuracy.

Chris

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Just so you know Scott here is the Junghans we use. We have had it for over 5 years and still working great:

Stephen

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi -

Unless you mean this, I think you'll have a better chance finding a radio clock than an atomic clock. Of course, if you really are looking for an atomic clock, this looks like a good place to find one. :)

What is often called an atomic clock is a clock that uses a 60 kHz very low frequency signal broadcast by the National Institute for Standards and Time (NIST) to set itself by to compensate for the normal drift of whatever system is used to keep time, such as a quartz crystal. In other words, the watch adjusts its internal time in sync with this source.

I know I'm being pedantic, but don't mean it in a bad way. I'd love to have an honest-to-god atomic clock! It'd be the geekiest christmas present of all time. :)

JohnF
An atomic grandfather clock would be sweet.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The little Junghans has arrived this evening...

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
remind me again what code I type in to show the clock without putting it up on a site.

right now, it is nestled next to my German 400 day clock, different generations of Germans while I am wearing a ludwig by Nomos.

Will post the atomic clock as soon as I get sent the code.

scott

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry...I meant the code to post an image as opposed to having to put a phot on my site.

sorry for the confusion.

cranking along in easter time zone...

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Sorry...I meant the code to post an image as opposed to having to put a phot on my site.

sorry for the confusion.

cranking along in easter time zone...
No problems...... Try this:

To get the image location right mouse click on the image and select "view image" then copy the url and past into the above.

This is how I would do this. Hope this helps.

Stephen

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanx stephen...will have to take some pics when i get home from work tonote or tomorrow nite.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can call the Naval Observatory and get a time hack from the Atomic clock there.

USNO Master Clock time via voice announcer, from Washington, DC:

(202) 762-1401 and (202) 762-1069

USNO Alternate Master Clock time via voice announcer, from Colorado Springs, CO:

(719) 567-6742

1 - 18 of 18 Posts