WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have recently been looking into the vintage market and want to get a vintage watch. I'm not sure what brand, style or size to go for.
I want it to be automatic and not need servicing, it needs to be fairly reliable and not to big considering I have quite small wrists. Is there anyone who could help me find a watch with this description?

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Go with vintage Seiko. Reliable, lots to choose from, reasonable prices, can get in stainless easily, not usually big on size....aka not Invicta size.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I always say Certina and also Tissot and they had some really nice 60's models. The Certina Blue Ribbon and the Tissot PR-516 are two really stylish models and they are cheap.

The good thing with these brands are that they used their own movements so they are a bit special compared to the 1000 or so "name only brands".

1000349.jpg
Here is a 18k gold Tissot I'm working on but the same model can be found with a steel case. Not the best picture but it's night here. :)

1000350.jpg
I love these Tissot movements. A few spots and I think the watch must have been dropped in some mud puddle as it was the most dirty watch I have worked on.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
To narrow it down I suggest you firstly decide on a watch style. Ask yourself is it to be worn with a suit or casually, do you prefer a smaller slimline watch or one with a larger case, an auto, manual wind or perhaps a chronograph (or an automatic chronograph depending how deep your pockets are). Once you have an idea of the type of watch you want then finding a good one will be easier.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
It so stylish and grows on you and the movement is just fantastic and a joy to work on.
The style is absolutely classic, and high quality through and through. Very nice size (35mm) all stainless steel case.

·
Registered
592 Posts
All the above suggestions are worth while, I'd add Bulova and Hamilton automatics. Many smaller sizes to be had.
As far as service is concerned, all of them will require service at some point, and I usually factor it in
to my purchase price, as most vintage watches have not been serviced in spite of what they say in the ads or listings.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Another Certina model that people always are asking me for is the DS.

1000351.jpg
At first glance it might not look that special but when you see the thick diver crystal and feel it in your hand it's hard to let go. I only have a few busted ones right now but this will be the next to get all fixed up. It's a mid 60's model so it has a bigger crown and more modern looking hands. It's not a cheap watch but much less then most standard Omega watches out there.

They are hard to find though as the owners just don't want to part with them and I know Rolex people that now have several of these as everyday wearers as they have such a high quality feel to them.

1000352.jpg
Inside is the wonderful 25-651 and you can see the rubber suspension that made this the watch to go to when you were to get out into nature, they also made a diver version of the watch but these are really expensive.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think King Seikos are a great starting point to get into vintage watches. They are inexpensive (in the hundreds of dollars) and plentiful and gorgeous; have a great history behind them in terms of both design (learn about Taro Tanaka's "Grammar of Design"), in terms of the ambition of Seiko and the internal competition at the company (Grand Seiko vs King Seiko), and of course the story of how Seiko came to Switzerland in the mid-to late 60s and flipped the entire watch world upside down!

Even if you're not a hardcore Seiko fan, just the story behind the King Seiko alone is phenomenal! You can own one for not a lot of money, compared to many other vintage watches.

·
Registered
8,131 Posts
Hello all,

I have recently been looking into the vintage market and want to get a vintage watch. I'm not sure what brand, style or size to go for.
I want it to be automatic and not need servicing, it needs to be fairly reliable and not to big considering I have quite small wrists. Is there anyone who could help me find a watch with this description?

..you will need to service it sooner or later.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
If you buy it from Sweden you will get it for half that! They should really be in the $300 range though as they are of high quality. In some markets they did sell a lot of chromed case watches so be sure it has a steel case.

When you read that story the ugly face of envy momentarily took over and I sure wish to be able to have a look at all those watches. :)

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
If you buy it from Sweden you will get it for half that! They should really be in the $300 range though as they are of high quality. In some markets they did sell a lot of chromed case watches so be sure it has a steel case.
There are no photos of the inside of the case-back, but there is some damage to the case, and it certainly looks like solid SS.

When you read that story the ugly face of envy momentarily took over and I sure wish to be able to have a look at all those watches. :)
Hopefully their kids don't need the college tuition immediately; it could take them years to dispose of all those watches if they sell them one-by-one on eBay.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
There are no photos of the inside of the case-back, but there is some damage to the case, and it certainly looks like solid SS.

Hopefully their kids don't need the college tuition immediately; it could take them years to dispose of all those watches if they sell them one-by-one on eBay.
If they continue the way it is now, it will take forever :D Most watches they listed are crappy designer watches yet priced as something special...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts