WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm fairly new here, I've been reading around on the forum for the past few weeks trying to get some ideas as to what I'm looking for. I know much of this is probably asked 10,000 times, and I do apologize but I didn't really have a solid amount of luck with the search feature. I'll give you a little information about what I've looked at.

I have been looking for a decent watch now for a while. I was getting inexpensive quartz watches but I got sick of replacing batteries. I don't know if it is me, or my work environment but it seems I burn out a quartz watch battery in a few months, and the entire thing doesn't last much longer. Maybe it was the fact I was buying 50 dollar watches I don't know, but it steered me towards a mechanical automatic, I currently have a Armitron 204406sv and I'm not exactly happy with it. The accuracy on this thing is horrible. I gain just over a minute every day.

Are the "higher end" quartz movements a little more durable? I would be ok with one as long as it works and works for a while. The mechanical watches are neat, and I like the auto I have because I never have to mess with a battery. The problem is all the watches in the 100-150ish range that are automatic seem to have the same internals as mine and I really don't want a watch that gains about 1 minute and 15 seconds a day.

From what I've read here Orient is very highly recommended. The thing is I can't find any here locally, and I really hate ordering things like this online. I would prefer to buy locally. The brands I see here are Citizen, Seiko, Casio, and a bunch of Armitron and all sorts of variations of those.

I'm not really familiar with watches and their inner workings. I just know what I need in one.

So, any opinions will be very welcome. To make it simple I would like a watch that is most importantly accurate maybe a few seconds a week or even a day. One that I don't have to replace batteries, or if I do has a quality movement that wont die on me in 6 months. And lastly I want a watch that will cost me less than 400 bucks. In the last 3 years I've spent about 700 dollars on watches, none of them but the armitron still work. I'm hoping in that price range I can at least get one that will last me a good 5 or 6 years.

Thanks in advance. If this is a little choppy sorry I was running around the house and typing this in-between helping the old lady.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate. Any mechanical watch will gain or lose daily, and will need to be reset occasionally in order to be accurate. Most of mine gain or lose less than 10 seconds daily out of the box, including my cheap Vostok watches. Ever thought about an Eco drive?

many others will chime in.

Reactions: mattsteg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I considered them, in all honesty I hear a lot of back and forth about Citizen. I genuinely do not know much about them, and to be honest I didn't realize that mechanical watches even existed anymore until about a year ago when I got my current armitron.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just get an EcoDrive, as suggested by glenRoiland. You've had extraordinarily bad luck it seems. I was a one-watch quartz guy for years - my girlfriend (now wife) got me a wenger quartz watch in like 1996 - the primarily fault of this watch was that it would break springbars when i was wearing it for probably too energetic activities, and it flew through the air and landed hard many times. After about 6-7 years it started getting a bit sketchy and eventually stopped. Replaced it with an ecodrive, which still works fine, scratched it up a bit in a motorcycle crash after a few years, moved to automatics out of mechanical interest a couple of years ago, and also swapped in a new movement into the wenger for old time's sake even though I rarely wear it. Cost to do this was maybe 10 bucks.

What watches are you buying that self-destruct so horribly? What are you doing to them? Quartz should really be more reliable in harsh conditions...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Citizen Eco Drive for a rechargeable battery and good looking watch. But if you like the mechanicals there is so much under $400 by Seiko that will last for a long time. And if it gets too far off accuracy, just get it serviced and you'll be back on track. My favorite is the Srp229, but it's a dive watch and we don't know your style. It would help if you could tell us what style you like...?

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I considered them, in all honesty I hear a lot of back and forth about Citizen. I genuinely do not know much about them, and to be honest I didn't realize that mechanical watches even existed anymore until about a year ago when I got my current armitron.
I love mechanical watches. Most of my collection are mechanical. To me, they are the purest form of a watch. I do have a few quarts, and an ecodrive. It just seems to me that you might be best fit with the ecodrive. You can't beat its accuracy, it's durability is great, and the battery won't die out on you. In fact, a good charge can last monts in this unique watch.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Citizen Eco Drive for a rechargeable battery and good looking watch. But if you like the mechanicals there is so much under $400 by Seiko that will last for a long time. And if it gets too far off accuracy, just get it serviced and you'll be back on track. My favorite is the Srp229, but it's a dive watch and we don't know your style. It would help if you could tell us what style you like...?

Agreed. If you could give us an idea of your likes, either by description or preferably pictures, that would help immensely.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What watches are you buying that self-destruct so horribly? What are you doing to them? Quartz should really be more reliable in harsh conditions...
Mainly Casio. I am usually a fan of cheap as dirt products. Honestly I have no idea, my mom has the same issue, they just burn up. I do work in a machine shop, so magnetic fields are fairly common, but no one else seems to have any issues with theirs. Mind you, we can't wear them everywhere and mine spends quite a few hours a day riding in my pocket. I would just say to heck with it, but there isn't a clock anywhere close to me, and I can't keep a cell phone on my person in the shop so most of us have watches to track our time and production

Agreed. If you could give us an idea of your likes, either by description or preferably pictures, that would help immensely.
Sportura - Alarm Chronograph - SNAE97 | SEIKO CORPORATION OF AMERICA

Has an interesting look to it. Honestly Its pretty simple being a big guy I prefer a bigger watch, I also like numbers and hands that are easy to see, and maybe a date on it. I have been looking around a Seiko's and Citizens website and most of what they have looks nice. My current watch is a pain in the rear to get a quick look at.

Armitron Men's 204406SVSV Automatic Silver-Tone Round Black Dial Dress Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

·
Registered
Oris Aquis Date Titanium
5,399 Posts
After 3 days of browsing the forum and looking on the internet I settled on Citizen Eco Drive World Perpetual Radio Controlled watch. After a few weeks I would think you should be informed enough to make decision on something better than a $50 quartz.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
There are quartz watches out there with Lithium batteries, gives you 8 to 10 years before a change.

I have a few quartz watches and the ones with regular batteries give me a good 3 years.

As to your Armitron, It probably needs to be adjusted, but I'm not sure how good you can get a Chinese movement to run. I haven't owned one yet.

If you have problems with magnetic fields at work, you don't want to wear a mechanical watch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I typically don't wear the Skeleton watch to work unless I don't have any other option usually keep a cheapo casio on me. My goal is to just find one watch that I can just wear, and wear, and wear, and wear.

That's what I've always understood about quartz watches, once that battery is in there it's good for ages. Maybe my body is supercharged I don't know. But they really piss me off.

The citizen stuff really looks nice. How long does the battery in one of those last before having to be replaced? I know it is solar or something so I figure the battery is probably special and crazy expensive.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I typically don't wear the Skeleton watch to work unless I don't have any other option usually keep a cheapo casio on me. My goal is to just find one watch that I can just wear, and wear, and wear, and wear.

That's what I've always understood about quartz watches, once that battery is in there it's good for ages. Maybe my body is supercharged I don't know. But they really piss me off.

The citizen stuff really looks nice. How long does the battery in one of those last before having to be replaced? I know it is solar or something so I figure the battery is probably special and crazy expensive.
my wife's is running a decade or so with no issues.

·
Registered
820 Posts
My wife's EcoDrive has been running flawlessly for @4 years, and my son's has been running for about 7 years. They should easily go 10+ years and run quite accurately.
For a bit more money they make the radio controlled models which sync via radio wave with the atomic clock in Colorado twice daily. You just can't get much more accurate than that. But most of those models tend to be ana/digi with busier dials, so maybe not the clear, easy read you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After 3 days of browsing the forum and looking on the internet I settled on Citizen Eco Drive World Perpetual Radio Controlled watch. After a few weeks I would think you should be informed enough to make decision on something better than a $50 quartz.
I am hesitant about many things I read randomly online, I've been burnt too many times to count by positive reviews and thoughts on forums. I just wanted to get a personal question out, and see if I mostly grabbed the same canned responses, or if there were more thoughts out there.

This is also the reason I would prefer not to buy it online. I would greatly prefer to be able to handle something like this before dropping money on it.
my wife's is running a decade or so with no issues.
That's good, so its nothing I'll worry about for a while. I guess I'll stop around at some Jewelry shops tomorrow before work and see whats available, and what I like.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I understand not wanting to “mail order” or shop online. In reality most of us have to do so because we don’t live in a large enough metropolis
to find what we want or what we want is available only in a foreign market.

I live in the mid-west and I have found that “Kohls” has the best price & choice near me. They carry a vast option; that would be my move.
I have two Citizen Eco-Drives, they like Seiko Solar don’t really have batteries but rather have a capacitor that charges by sunlight.

Ten years is the lifespan often thrown about but I am sure many are functioning well past that. As many have said get an Eco-Drive …
if you do have a Kohls go look at what they have in the display case. You will probably walk away with one.

Edit: Thank you Oilers Fan research does indicate that Eco-Drives use a rechargeable lithium ion cell to store converted solar energy.
I don’t know where I remember a capacitor from … maybe the Kinetic Seiko is set up like that. Thanx again !!!

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
FWIW, AFAIK, Eco-Drives have a rechargeable battery. Not a capacitor.

To the OP, I think that an Eco-Drive will be your best option. Citizen has many choices with their Eco-Drive movements. It will also be easier to find them locally, since you do not want to purchase online.

·
Vendor
27,737 Posts
Even a $40-$50 Casio should last you a few years, and the battery should be good for two.

For reasons I won't go into, I recently spent some time doing a little light research into how magnetic fields affect watches. Someone here may correct me, because I may be wrong, but this is my basic understanding...

Magnetic fields can do permanent damage to a quartz watch if the field is strong enough or the exposure is long enough (or repeated often enough). With a mechanical watch, the effect is typically temporary, and will only last as long as the watch is exposed to the magnetic field.

It is possible that a mechanical watch can become "magnetized" - not that the entire watch has become a wrist-bound magnet, but if some part of the movement did happen to become magnetized, that will throw the timing off, and you'd have to get it de-magnetized to get it working right again.

Most watch cases are made from 316L stainless steel. If a watch is really cheap, it might be 304L. Neither is a magnetic metal, so the case itself cannot be magnetized. However, because that metal is not magnetic, it also does not make for an extremely effective magnetic shield, believe it or not. Magnetic shielding can only be accomplished with metals that ARE magnetic - the metal actually routes the magnetic waves around the movement. The 300 series of stainless steel is marginally effective at magnetic shielding, and only against very weak fields. It's not a big deal because most people aren't exposed to strong fields on a daily basis.

However, the only mechanical watches that I know of which are made with magnetic metals are Damaskos, and they ain't cheap. They are REALLY nice though, and REALLY tough, so if you can pony up for one, it would serve you well. The metal in a Damasko case is 440C stainless, which is 3 or 4 times as hard as 316L, depending on how long and at what temperature it was heat-treated, and the 400 series of stainless steel IS magnetic (while I was doing research into magnetism and watches, I was also researching metals and watches).

Based on what you're saying, my guess is there's something going on in your shop that's damaging your watch. Maybe your co-workers don't notice it or just don't complain about it enough that you'd know. Maybe they're not exposed as much as you based on the nature of their jobs vs. yours.

That, or you've got a super-power, and you just don't realize it.

Any idea what you look like in a cape?

·
Registered
921 Posts

Reactions: docvail

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Even a $40-$50 Casio should last you a few years, and the battery should be good for two.

For reasons I won't go into, I recently spent some time doing a little light research into how magnetic fields affect watches. Someone here may correct me, because I may be wrong, but this is my basic understanding...

Magnetic fields can do permanent damage to a quartz watch if the field is strong enough or the exposure is long enough (or repeated often enough). With a mechanical watch, the effect is typically temporary, and will only last as long as the watch is exposed to the magnetic field.

It is possible that a mechanical watch can become "magnetized" - not that the entire watch has become a wrist-bound magnet, but if some part of the movement did happen to become magnetized, that will throw the timing off, and you'd have to get it de-magnetized to get it working right again.

Most watch cases are made from 316L stainless steel. If a watch is really cheap, it might be 304L. Neither is a magnetic metal, so the case itself cannot be magnetized. However, because that metal is not magnetic, it also does not make for an extremely effective magnetic shield, believe it or not. Magnetic shielding can only be accomplished with metals that ARE magnetic - the metal actually routes the magnetic waves around the movement. The 300 series of stainless steel is marginally effective at magnetic shielding, and only against very weak fields. It's not a big deal because most people aren't exposed to strong fields on a daily basis.

However, the only mechanical watches that I know of which are made with magnetic metals are Damaskos, and they ain't cheap. They are REALLY nice though, and REALLY tough, so if you can pony up for one, it would serve you well. The metal in a Damasko case is 440C stainless, which is 3 or 4 times as hard as 316L, depending on how long and at what temperature it was heat-treated, and the 400 series of stainless steel IS magnetic (while I was doing research into magnetism and watches, I was also researching metals and watches).

Based on what you're saying, my guess is there's something going on in your shop that's damaging your watch. Maybe your co-workers don't notice it or just don't complain about it enough that you'd know. Maybe they're not exposed as much as you based on the nature of their jobs vs. yours.

That, or you've got a super-power, and you just don't realize it.

Any idea what you look like in a cape?
Not like superman. More like a lumberjack in a unitard.

I'm going to head out today and see whats available before work.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts