WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this watch at the end of 2010..
No brand on the face, no writing on the backcase, but the art work screams 'Soviet', especially the usage of straight blue lines as water... I checked the movement,it looks like Soviet/Russian movement... turned out to be Slava twin barrel.

The question is the ship. Flying Red and White flag, I think I could safely assume it's Indonesian (does Monaco has a navy?)

Indonesia did have many Soviet armaments during the 50s and the 60s, the most notable were the Tu 16 "Badger" Medium bomber and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sverdlov_class_cruiserKRI Irian, a heavy Cruiser.

I don't think this ship looks like KRI Irian, but some artist does interpret what they see rather freely :)

5353214347_63fcea2ffc_z.jpg

5353214341_d8f08a1c94_z.jpg

Any info ?

All in all, I like the art work.. the watch itself is a bit to small for me (about the size of the acrylic of an Amphibia)

I'm going to Singapore at the end of the month, where should I do to get Russian watches (other than the Red Army) ? Does Dinki Di still in Golden Landmark (any info about his opening hour?) ? Is there other seller ? Any collector wants to sell ? :)

Thanks !
Rudy

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Think it is really ironic that Singapore should be seen as a place to buy Communist era Soviet timepieces. That place is as McCarthyist as they get. All you have to do is smell Commie and you'd be arrested - if that is possible.
Anyway, sorry about the rant.
Have a look at this URL Tips from a Russian Watch Expert
It might give you some leads in $ingapore.
marc
p.s. dont be bamboozled by the airport.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'm going to Singapore at the end of the month, where should I do to get Russian watches (other than the Red Army) ? Does Dinki Di still in Golden Landmark (any info about his opening hour?) ? Is there other seller ? Any collector wants to sell ? :)

Thanks !
Rudy
Hi,

Dinki Di still operates there, he always has a ton of Vostoks. :) You can try visiting after the lunch hour, as I usually can't catch him around 12 - 1pm.

I haven't been there in a while but there's the only place with lots of Russian watches.

If you staying over the weekend, you can visit China Square Central on Sundays, there's a indoor flea market with about 4-6 stores selling used watches.

You might catch a gem there. :)

Welcome to China Square Central

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!
Unfortunately I caught Chickenpox three days before departure day :(

Maybe next month....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts