Hello Sempervivens

I think I will wait for help

BTW, you were right

The caseback shows Zenith original marks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Response from Zenith corp historian:

Dear Sir,Thank you for your pictures. From what I can see, the movement is a Zenith Manufacture caliber 2562 P or 2572 P made between 1969 and 1978. It is a very high quality version of this caliber since there is a jewel on the axis of the rotor and the mention Chronometer, meaning the movement had been tested for its accuracy. The winding knob (or crown) is a Zenith original.
As for the hallmarks, they seems to hint to a jeweler who could be in Lebanon, but with no certainty.
I hope this helps and remain at your disposal for any further question.
Best regards
Cécile

Go figure how a watch bought in Lebanon ended up in Montevideo Uruguay were by dad got it

Some pictures (inserted by the moderator after resizing):
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Metal

Wheel Auto part Rim Automotive wheel system Tire

Metal Font Circle Pattern

Product Eye Cosmetics Metal Face powder

Wood Wood stain Chest of drawers Drawer Furniture

Ring Fashion accessory Jewellery Metal Engagement ring

Attachments

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
A Cal. 2562 or 2572? No way! It's definitely a Cal. 2522 P from 1961 (serial number 5166xxx on the movement). The 2562 and 2572 also lack the double arm regulator on the balance:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Zenith 2522P

vs.

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Zenith 2562P

Hartmut Richter
yes, the jewel-bearing rotor is normal for cal. 2522 P.

So Hans was right when he hinted at cal. 2522P from the beginning:
The dial looks like Rössler page 146 movementnumber 5105409 Cal 2522P Zenith Captain automatic.
Like Hartmut said, it probably dates to 1961. The Zenith archives should be able to date it more accurately based on the serial number.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hello guys

I do not know anything about watches but admire the knowledge given by those who are passionate about any objects of beauty and great design by profession or as a hobby { I am a physician and French Art glass collector who never wears a watch]

I am sending the link for this thread to the Zenith historian, just to add some spice to the mix

German

·
Premium Member
13,596 Posts
very nice captain giosif:-!

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
MYSTERY SOLVED‏

Here's an update from the OP Giosif concerning the mysterious MJPL bracelet on his Zenith Captain Chronometre (cal 2522 P from 1961).

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Gold

After almost 3 years he was able to solve the mystery who made the beautiful bracelet.

This info he got from Mr. Manuel Llopis in Valencia, Spain who had already posted some information on his blog here.

Here goes a translation of his research:

In Spain in the period between 1965-1990, there were many manufacturers of jewelry that were manufacturing custom made gold watch bracelets. It was a fad. They imported from Switzerland original watches from brands like Longines and Omega, also Zenith, Cyma and others. There were at that time many manufacturers. You can find cases with Spanish marks (with the original Swiss mechanism and dial) or you can also find original swiss gold cases to which a high quality gold bracelet or mesh bracelet with Spanish punches was added. At Pallars street in Barcelona there were several jewelry shops of some importance 40/50 years ago.

In the clasp for this Zenith gold band is a punch with hexagonal shape which contains the number 4 and the letter B,

Rim Wood Beige Material property Automotive wheel system

This means that it is made by manufacturer # 4 registered in Barcelona (in the register of punches by province).

According to the register you will find the hexagonal sign with 4B refers to Mones' shop.

Text Font Document Paper Paper product
Text Font Document Paper Recipe

MONES was a very important workshop in Barcelona in those times. They were 3 brothers, Pedro, Jose and Luis (the latter was gemologist).

The contrast mark or identifying mark, apart from the official hexagon was the "clover" with the M in the middle and the 3 initials of the brothers J P L.

Belt Belt buckle Buckle Fashion accessory Beige

We hope that this information will be useful for many, as there are similar bracelets out there in the vintage watch world, especially for those brands mentioned above.

A warm thank you to German Iosif for this update, as he thanks Mr. Llopis and his blog.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,850 Posts
Re: MYSTERY SOLVED‏

Thanks for posting that information. Very comprehensive, very conclusive. It is certainly still one of the most beautiful watch bracelets I have seen.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
13,447 Posts

Mighty interesting
Seems Spain had a Poincon De Maitre.
I never knew that.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,848 Posts

An example of an Omega automatic with both case and bracelet made by Mones can be seen here. In the same thread here the owner mentions that this Omega was purchased in 1963.

Therefore the period mentioned above (when there were many manufacturers in Spain producing such fine bracelets) can perhaps be extended to c. 1960-1990.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts