WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bagged a job lot on Ebay recently and as expected most of it was pretty ropey .
Amongst the dross I seem to have uncovered a few half decent finds. The first two pieces I`d like some background info on are the following:
job lot.jpg ebay listing promised little.

First find -a Smith`s Everest Auto...was lacking a crown but sprung to life when gently shaken and I luckily had a crown that fitted in my spares.
It has run non-stop for some 6 hours but I know little about the brand other than it seems to have a reasonable reputation for quality and was a big British brand for clocks,watches and vehicle instruments as well as other guages for industry I believe.
IMG_20170817_143828268.jpg IMG_20170817_144113754.jpg IMG_20170817_143937053.jpg
I could find no way of opening the back to look at the movement -Is it removed through the front after removing the crystal?
I was expecting to see Made in England somewhere but unless it`s hidden by the crystal ring it may have worn off.
Does anyone how any idea of it`s age ? I was guessing late 50`s or 1960`s?
A nice stainless steel case on it but coupled to a badly matched modern steel bracelet.
There seem to be quite a few fans of Smiths on the forum so I`m hoping someone can give me some pointers .

The second nice suprise was an old pocket watch -which again sprang to life upon a gentle wind.
No name on the dial but on turning the watch over I noticed a broad arrow which I recognised as a British military marking but the rest of the reference numbers I know nothing about.
IMG_20170817_141028796.jpg IMG_20170817_141011365.jpg IMG_20170817_141146808.jpg IMG_20170817_141200578.jpg
It turns out to be a Waltham which I presume dates from the late 1930`s or the 1940`s.
Just chrome plated case but in nice condition.

The dial is also good and has a circled T in the middle -anyone known if this has a meaning please?
The movement seems a pretty low jewel count but is marked 3 adjustments so does this indicate a fairly decent quality piece?
It`s my first fully working PW so I`m quite pleased with it following a slightly rash buy a few months ago.

Any info on either watch would be welcome.
I think I`ll be keeping the Waltham for a while -the Smiths may have a brief vacation with me before it helps out with paying my local watchmakers service bills.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Nice finds! That Smiths is great. The pocket watch has the great tough looking Waltham military font for sure. Maybe the "T" means its adjusted to temperature?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Freddy -I hadn`t thought about T for temperature :0)
The Smiths is growing on me..I have an old `40`s Art Deco style Smiths Bakelite clock but this is my first watch.
IMG_20170817_180431898[1].jpg

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dan but I don`t think Tritium was used on watches until the Mid/late 1960`s -or at least that`s the rough age of various brands I have marked with a "T" .(usually on the dial below the 6 O`clock position.
I may
be wrong though

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
T is for tritium. If these watches were used until the 1960s, it may be, that it's a so-called MoD redial- the British MoD had some of the service watches redialed and relumed at some point.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Thanks Dan but I don`t think Tritium was used on watches until the Mid/late 1960`s -or at least that`s the rough age of various brands I have marked with a "T" .(usually on the dial below the 6 O`clock position.
I may
be wrong though
Well, I know that a lot of the British MoD circle-T replacement dials were issued in the 1950s, and I'm quite sure that the "T" represents tritium. Presumably your dial is newer than your movement.

Edit: I see that mkws posted a similar comment as I was preparing this response.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info @Dan & mkws.
I hadn`t even considered a later re-lume as I`d assumed (obviously wrongly :0) ) that pocket watches would have been long out of military use before Tritium was in use.
Something new learned.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the link balaton, I`ve been doing some research this evening and these models seem relatively uncommon.
The crystal has polished up fairly well so far and a leather strap on it improves the appearance too.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Thanks for the link balaton, I`ve been doing some research this evening and these models seem relatively uncommon.
The crystal has polished up fairly well so far and a leather strap on it improves the appearance too.
Well, let's see the "new improved" version, please.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The Smiths is the real find in that lot IMO, the SS cased models can be worth more than the gold ones, shame the dial has some damage but its still a desirable watch which I believe houses the only English made auto movement, The Imperial.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That`s a nice bit of info Border-Reiver-many thanks.
The serial number on my watch seems to sit nicely in that date range too and T on the dial for a later re-lume would make sense :0)

Going further through the job lot this evening I have discovered what appears to be a very old pocket watch by Baume and Lezard ..more on that tomorrow .
I have almost zero knowledge of pocket watches so any advice is gratefully received.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for that info V8chrono -I`ve been Googling away most of the evening and am gradually discoving just how collectable this model is.
I have no reason to doubt it does not contain the "Imperial " movement but I will probably take it to my local watchmaker tomorrow to open up (I presume through the front)

I`ll update with some movement pictures and the better strap and cleaned up crystal tomorrow if possible.
I have a few more in the lot that I`m researching too and will post them in the coming days

1 - 15 of 15 Posts