WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first post here and also first venture into vintage watches. Hope I didn't screw up too bad!

I just recently purchased this watch on ebay and was hoping to find out a little bit about it. I couldn't find much through searches especially since there aren't many identifying marks on the watch. I'm not even sure if it's real!
Gruen Face.jpg
Gruen Movement.jpg
Gruen Back.jpg
Gruen In Back.jpg

It checked off a few boxes that I was looking for: Stainless Steel, Mechanical, 17 Jewel, Swiss made.

At least I'm hoping those things are true!

Thanks in advance for any help or info

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
Looks legit to me at first glance. Nice watch. My main concern is the green corrosion in the movement, so I'd suggest getting it serviced before wearing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I figured it wouldn't need more than a good cleaning. Glad it looks real so far! Is it common for people to try to clean their own watches on this forum or does that take some serious skill? I like to clean and service things.. usually helps me learn a lot about the thing along the way as well.

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
Yeah I figured it wouldn't need more than a good cleaning. Glad it looks real so far! Is it common for people to try to clean their own watches on this forum or does that take some serious skill? I like to clean and service things.. usually helps me learn a lot about the thing along the way as well.
"Cleaning" in the context of a watch means complete disassembly into individual parts (bridges, jumpers, springs, screws, wheels, etc.), ultrasonic cleaning of the parts, reassembly, lubrication, and adjustment. There are some people (not me) who have learned to do it themselves, but it's not a simple thing to do, and there is a significant risk of damaging the movement.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Cleaning" in the context of a watch means complete disassembly into individual parts (bridges, jumpers, springs, screws, wheels, etc.), ultrasonic cleaning of the parts, reassembly, lubrication, and adjustment. There are some people (not me) who have learned to do it themselves, but it's not a simple thing to do, and there is a significant risk of damaging the movement.
Hmm yeah I figured it would be no easy task. Do you have a best guess on what decade this watch is from?

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
I would be inclined to say 1950s, just based on the style and my rudimentary knowledge of Gruen's history. Unfortunately, I don't believe there are any records that would allow you to match the serial number with a date for Gruen watches.

·
Registered
777 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dont practice on that nice Gruen! Buy something like this

If you kill that it wont be a big loss and mechanically they are all very similar so you will learn a lot. I killed several cheap watches before I got the hang of it so dont be discouraged if you do too.
That's great advice. Even though I know I shouldn't mess with it I would probably try. After looking up what it costs to service a watch I might have to save up for a month or 2 lol I guess I should've looked up that before I bought the watch

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow it looks like that is it. Thank you so much, I never would've found that without you! I know I ask a lot, but do you know anything about those? My Google search brings up just a few little comments here and there with the common opinion that they were "okay" high-end watches. Or something of that sort

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
Wow it looks like that is it. Thank you so much, I never would've found that without you! I know I ask a lot, but do you know anything about those? My Google search brings up just a few little comments here and there with the common opinion that they were "okay" high-end watches. Or something of that sort

I don't think anyone would categorize Gruen as a high-end brand. Your watch is a good quality dress watch with a stainless steel case and solid Swiss movement. The brand would be categorized as entry-level or mid-tier depending on who you ask. It's collectible, but not extremely valuable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think anyone would categorize Gruen as a high-end brand. Your watch is a good quality dress watch with a stainless steel case and solid Swiss movement. The brand would be categorized as entry-level or mid-tier depending on who you ask. It's collectible, but not extremely valuable.
Ahh ok maybe I misunderstood. It seemed like they were saying that it was sold as highish-end when it was new but in reality it is as you said, entry to medium tiered. Either way I didn't think it was too valuable today as I only spent $60 on it lol Thank you very much for your knowledge on all of this and taking the time to share it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts