1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know what kind of movement is used in this watch:

358.331C2_LG_1.jpg

Stuhrling Prestige Tradition Mens Wristwatch Model: 358.331C2

Is this watch made in Switzerland or is it simply "Swiss made" as I understand the definition. I think it is a pretty classy looking watch. Would it be considered a dress watch or could it be worn casually? Any thoughts? I know that for about the same price there are other alternatives from Tissot, Hamilton, etc. I was just curious about this particular watch

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
You can be reasonably sure it meets the minimum requirements for "Swiss Made", like most, if not all, similar pieces.

I'd say it's a bit thick for a true dress watch, but it could be worn in a dressy or casual situation. People have different definitions of what constitutes a proper watch for a given occasion, so it's ultimately up to you.

I'd guess it's got a CL-888 movement, which seem to be hit or miss with people.

I think it's overpriced, but if it sings to you, and you buy with full knowledge of what it is and isn't, what you think is all that should matter.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
My guess is that it is a Claro-Semag CL-888 movement, which is really a Sea-Gull ST-16, with a few decorative touches added in Switzerland to call with Swiss.

For that kind of money, I'd want a higher reliability and higher beat rate Swiss ETA/Sellita, or a higher end Japanese movement. Alternatively, you could be a Sea-Gull watch, that is probably better quality, with this movement for far less.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Alternatives:
Seiko SARY005:
sary005_2.jpg
Uses Seikos new hacking/hand-winding 4R35 movement.

Sea-Gull M186S
bar_roman.jpg 186Roman2.jpg

Reactions: Eddie Mac

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I am going to take a wild guess that its a CL888 movement, dressed up with a Stuhrling wind rotor. The only image I could find is the generic factory www pic, and I could not find a detailed enough image of the CL888 (or seagull ST-16).

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. It was more of a curiosity than an actual purchase consideration. I do like the thicker case in a "dressier" watch. It seems a little more versatile in what I can wear with it. But my first choice is still a Tissot Le Locle or a Hamilton Jazzmaster, both of which are around the same price.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I emailed Stuhrling about the movement used in this series of watches and I got this reply:

Good Afternoon,

The movement on the 358.xxxxx is from a company in Switzerland (TECHNO SABLIER). The movement base is from china. The base / parts are assembled / finished and tested in Switzerland. The movement is a Swiss Made certified movement with the "COUNTRY OF ORIGIN" issued by the Swiss Watch Federation.

We use ST as a prefix on all the movements as the movements we use on STUHRLING watches are customized for our requirements in terms of accuracy / finish / décor etc. In other words the movements are not the standard movements.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

I have no problems with this in a $399 watch. And I am happy that Stuhrling answered me honestly. It took a while to get a response, but I am satisfied with their answer.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The whole Swiss made thing is almost a joke now. A Chinese movement (and trust me I have no problems with them I own a few) should not be considered "Swiss" just because they were put together in Switzerland. If a BMW is assembled in south Carolina, I don't consider it an "American" car....

Reactions: monza06

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
I emailed Stuhrling about the movement used in this series of watches and I got this reply:

[/FONT][/COLOR]I have no problems with this in a $399 watch. And I am happy that Stuhrling answered me honestly. It took a while to get a response, but I am satisfied with their answer.
It's cool that they were open about it.

Reactions: econdreras

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
It looks like you smart folks did the same Googling I did. I saw Ecrondreras' recent post here. I went and looked at my different Chinese watch movements and concluded that the one in the Stuhrling seems not to be based on an ST16 nor ST6 (the most likely alternates) but it does look like it comes close to the Shanghai SB1, still not at all sure though, as the plates hide some telltale wheel placements. ST16 comes pretty close but not quite. I do find this to be a very interesting lesson in the appreciation of good Chinese movements, as they seem to be moving further into the world of "Swiss" engineering. (wink wink)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Picked one of these up so I thought I'd revive this thread since there really are no live pictures that exist on the net besides a video on YouTube:

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
If that thing's Swiss I'm Nigerian. And I'm not. ;)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Yeah I really could have cared less if it was Swiss or not, if it came from China, or what the brand is. I just like the simplistic dial design and 42mm size. As easy as it sounds, I went through hundred of watches and couldn't find the style I was looking for.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts