WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Its a swiss-made watch from the period shortly after the American Elgin company stopped making watches and sold the rights to the "elgin" name. 70's, I think. Probably has one of the Unitas movements inside, but we'd need to see under the caseback to know more. Probably a decent enough watch (if its a unitas, they're pretty good workhorses).

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Was it sold under the impression that it's an Elgin as the American Elgin Company that AbslomRob mentions? I hope not...Elgin did not use that "E" logo until after they sold the rights to the name. I don't recall ever seeing an Elgin PW from more recent times that's made to look older. If I'm wrong someone please chime in.

OP...get some pictures up. I'm curious to know what your watch is and how the movement is signed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DSC01268.jpg DSC01270.jpg
Here are two pics from inside, I can't tell if it is descent or not, any help would be appreciated.
Richard

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
Here are two pics from inside, I can't tell if it is descent or not, any help would be appreciated.
Richard
Decent, yes. As Erik pointed out, this is a Unitas movement. It's the only modern mechanical pocket watch movement in current Swiss production aside from some low production volumes used by a few in-house vendors. I doubt there is much age on this watch.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,051 Posts
It's a pre-ETA Unitas 6398 with the old single-ended balance-cock, probably with 18,000bph escapement. The Swiss experts will be able to tell you the minimum age of the watch from that. The maximum being defined by the buyout of the Elgin name.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Although a nice looking watch, I have no need of it (and have enough hobbies). I know a hard question to answer but if I got it repaired what may it be worth to sell it?

thanks
Richard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts