WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another...:thanks
Gold? Is it safe to say that if it does not say Gold anywhere on a watch, it is not at all?

Written on the Dial:
Hilton
17 Jewels
Incabloc
Swiss

Written on the Movement:
HILTON WATCH CO
UNADJUSTED
SWISS MADE
SEVENTEEN 17 JEWELS

Written on the inside of the Case:
HILTON WATCH CO
SWISS
PLAQUE ORG
20 MICRONS

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim, since the case says 20 microns (which are?), how is 10 microns of gold plated figured from it? Or did you just know?

· Registered
7,657 Posts
Thanks Jim, since the case says 20 microns (which are?), how is 10 microns of gold plated figured from it? Or did you just know?
A micron is a millionth of a metre. Gold, being expensive, is applied pretty thinly. Cheap plating is often about 3 microns - and will wear off quite quickly. !0 microns is good enough for companies to specify it on the case as a mark of quality; 20 microns is very good indeed. Watches from the 60's with 20 micron GP cases usually still look good nowadays - and can take a little cleaning.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much for the info. I would have never guessed what the Microns meant as far as gold was concerned.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, but since Gold was not stated anywhere on the watch, I did not know that it meant 20 Microns of Gold. I did lookup Microns though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.