WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all!

I've been doing some research on vintage pieces to replace a watch that was stolen a while back, and have narrowed it down to a Breitling or Gallet chrono. I came across the following Gallet:

GALLET - CRONOGRAFO vintage originale - OCCASIONE on eBay (end time 27-Aug-10 22:24:56 BST)

Apart from the fact that I'd unconvinced it's a 40s watch (I believe it's 50s) there are a few things I was hoping someone could shed some light on!

1) I've seen a very similar piece before, but it had flat, rectangular pushers. Am I right in saying the oval pushers are correct?

2) Don't know enough about the movement - I believe this watch should use the distinctly average Venus 170, but I thought all Venus mvmts were engraved with their ref? This one does not appear to be.

3) The dial and hands look original and in decent, but not "over-restored" or re-dialed condition....

4) The inside case-back puzzles me - the 3 "bits" of writing (incl the odd scribble in the middle that looks like it's been partly polished out) appear to have been etched at different depths, and are poorly aligned. Suspicious?

5) Not sure if anyone is able/allowed to comment on worth/whether this seems like a good deal, but any direction would be massively appreciated! EDIT - as per forum rules, I know there are no comments on valuation as such, but general guidance would be very useful (i.e. is it a rip-off)!

Thanks to all!

Marc

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Only problem with this, that is accurately represented according to my references, is the European price. The late 1940s Gallet here came from fine knowlegable watchmaker including service for less. My other couple of fine 1930 and 40 Lemanias Total $250. However one cost additional $368. for service by same watchmaker. Thus service cost one reason for reluctance of U.S. buyers to pay much for these nice old chronos I really like. Still better than a pretty Omega Speedmaster with an uninteresting generic autowind movement I have that is unreliable but easy to sell for $1000.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,372 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are too quick for my old slow computer. Try again.
Gotchya! Thanks for that, very interesting to note. $250 and even $368 sounds remarkably good value.

I contacted the seller of the initial Gallet, and he has offered a price of €590 but won't go lower. Better, but still sounds rather high given your comments. Tough call, especially as the other Gallets I see for sale now (and in the past few months) are on for a higher price (as per the chrono24 link that emmanuelgoldstein helpfully included).

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I think You and old world people are more intelligent about these than Americans thus the higher prices and inflation, taxes, various charges only increase. Omega, Rolex, Brietling are terrific merchandisers and fine products but nice looking fakes cheapen their appeal. No body fakes a fine old Gallet or Lemania.

You may want to review rewritten comment. I meant to emphasize service costs as a deterrent to purchase of old chronos. If recently well serviced, I should not be too critical of higher costs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think You and old world people are more intelligent about these than Americans thus the higher prices and inflation, taxes, various charges only increase. Omega, Rolex, Brietling are terrific merchandisers and fine products but nice looking fakes cheapen their appeal. No body fakes a fine old Gallet or Lemania.

You may want to review rewritten comment. I meant to emphasize service costs as a deterrent to purchase of old chronos. If recently well serviced, I should not be too critical of higher costs.

Great clarification, artb, thanks. As you say, the quality of the servicing is rather crucial as, like you pointed out in your $380 example, the cost can be similar to that of the watch itself. And def agreed that the presence of very well made replicas has devalued a number of the more popular brands, but not some of the less widely-known, such as Gallet. Good advice, and much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
On that first Gallet Regulator you mentioned, yeah I think it's 1950's as well. From my knowledge, Gallet used the oval pushers up until 1954, although I do know of a Flying Officer from 1939 (Harry Truman's watch) that had round pushers.

That is the original movement and correct for that watch, and the dial looks like it was cleaned up, but not refinished. The stampings on the caseback are correct. The "Gallet & Co." stamp was probably done after the "stainless" stamp.

There are a couple Italian folks with Gallet's on the 'bay. Haven't purchased from them so I dunno.

Regulators are very distinctive and cool. Is it the up/ down location of the dials that interest you? What style was your watch that was stolen (so sorry to hear that)?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts