WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finding myself drawn to Panerai's offerings and was wondering if there is a source that allows you to search the current models by both movement and dial type. I'm interested in a hand wound movement with a sandwich dial. On the Panerai website I have to zoom in on the photos and try to determine which dial type I'm looking at for each model. Do the model numbers correspond to these attributes?

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you go to Panerai site, go to collections and then choose the model design and then you can choose manual or automatic to narrow down your search.

There is nothing that will define the type of dial in any listing as that is asthethics not functional, you’ll just need to view each to choose what works for you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Synequano. Paneraisource looks like what I was hoping to find. I'm just starting to explore Panerai. At this point, the number of different references is a bit overwhelming. I know that I want a hand-wound movement and that I'm leaning in the direction of the sandwich type dial. I also like the look and simplicity of the 2-hand models. So, I'd just like to compile a list of the modern (not comfortable buying used/vintage) reference numbers that share these attributes to compare specs before visiting the local AD's.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Paneraisource is great once you know what you are looking for as Sq pointed out.

One thing to keep in mind regarding dials is that there is a newer option that is similar to but not actually a sandwich dial. There are a number of modern models that offer a ‘filled’ lume dials, which gives a similar effect and looks great too. The dial is cut just as with the sandwich dial, but instead of a being mounted on a lume plate, the lume is filled in to the numerals/markings which also gives the depth effect.
I’ll also say that I would leave the dial option as the last decider option when thinking about which to get. I have all 3 types and they all perform great so the case style, complications, and size should be the defining attributes before considering the type of dial, imho.

Good luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
m630...I had read about the dial that you're describing, but couldn't quite understand it. Your description makes sense and I think you're right about not focusing on just one dial type at this point. Thanks for the advice.

James...the 372 is definitely one for consideration. Thanks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
m630...I had read about the dial that you're describing, but couldn't quite understand it. Your description makes sense and I think you're right about not focusing on just one dial type at this point. Thanks for the advice.

James...the 372 is definitely one for consideration. Thanks.
Here’s the 662 as reference

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Love that austere brown dial and gold hands combination. It's tough to get a true sense of the "filled" lume (as you described) in a picture. I look forward to seeing it in person soon.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Its tough to get a great pix, but I found this one which is close. Look at the numbers and batons and you’ll see the depth, the fill lume style goes great with the engraved logo....i luv this blonde dial which really changes color depending on light conditions...outside in natural sunlight is bright, while indoors it changes to multiple shades of brown 👍

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts