WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know Rolex’s well and thought I’d see if there is anything extra special about it other that it being a meters first dial. Give me your thoughts!

Reactions: fish70

·
Registered
788 Posts
Meters First - increasingly rare
ref. 1680 was the first Submariner with a date window
1680 displayed the meters first. These Meters First Submariner 1680 were eventually replaced with feet first water resistance depth ratings and as such meters first was never repeated.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
I don’t know Rolex’s well and thought I’d see if there is anything extra special about it other that it being a meters first dial. Give me your thoughts!
Can we see more pics, this looks great.. Pics always help

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it’s driving me crazy that the serial number has worn off. My father in law bought this brand new in 1979 and wore it just about every day. It was his dive watch when he lived in the Virgin Islands too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And I spent the whole day researching the dial online and cant find another that matches the 4 line layout of the depth, name and SCOC. I found some similar but not exact.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The serial is actually very easy to get back. I have not tried it but I remember someone just using a bit of ink and being able to get enough to make it out and it just washes off the stainless.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The serial is actually very easy to get back. I have not tried it but I remember someone just using a bit of ink and being able to get enough to make it out and it just washes off the stainless.
Huh, interesting idea!

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
I don't see this being authentic. The dial is way off so maybe a repaint but it doesn't looks right, the T Swiss T is wrong and the markers are repainted.

Reactions: emgee79

·
Registered
116523 Daytona, 16710 Pepsi, 16600 SD
390 Posts
Fake ... From the order of the text on the dial to the way things are printed. This is an obvious one.

·
Registered
309 Posts
its possible the dial has been refinished, and the watch is not a fake. it sounds like its time to take the caseback off and see what the movement looks like. A clear photo of the stamping on the bracelet would also help.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The dial isn't even on stright. The more I look, the more things I find wrong.
Although I agree. The more I look the more it just doesn’t have the “precise” Rolex anything on the dial. If the back story is indeed true I’d say more than likely non Rolex dial on an old watch done by someone who wasn’t a collector.

this being said I am as far as you can get from a Rolex collector. I just enjoy them and like the ones I got.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
I am by no means an expert.. but I cannot find a dial layout from that era that coincides with the one presented.

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
its possible the dial has been refinished, and the watch is not a fake. it sounds like its time to take the caseback off and see what the movement looks like. A clear photo of the stamping on the bracelet would also help.
This was my thought (albeit in relative ignorance)
Unless the OP's story is totally fake, it is conceivable the watch is right & was his father in law's, but the dial has been messed with - badly ???
Or are there are problems PF with case/hands etc???

·
Registered
Seiko, Orient and now Addiesdive
606 Posts
This was my thought (albeit in relative ignorance)
Unless the OP's story is totally fake, it is conceivable the watch is right & was his father in law's, but the dial has been messed with - badly ???
Or are there are problems PF with case/hands etc???
Plausible in my no-knowledge base. Only weighing in because I had inherited rolex (Not a Sub or I would've kept it) that had repainted/repaired dial and various other issues so I sold it as is.

·
Registered
Seiko, Orient and now Addiesdive
606 Posts
Also as i'm learning about this stuff, would love one of the guys pointing out that it's fake to elaborate passed the dial issue already pointed out.

Reactions: Scbr24
1 - 20 of 221 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.