WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited this watch from my grandfather about 20 years ago and just ran across it in a box. Can anyone ID it or tell me anything about it? The inscription says it was gifted to him in 1971.

Is this a good watch? Is it valuable? I wound it and it started right up (I realize now that was a mistake). What would I expect to pay to have the watch serviced and made new?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I inherited this watch from my grandfather about 20 years ago and just ran across it in a box. Can anyone ID it or tell me anything about it? The inscription says it was gifted to him in 1971.
Is this a good watch? Is it valuable? I wound it and it started right up (I realize now that was a mistake). What would I expect to pay to have the watch serviced and made new?

Thanks
Good watch = yes. Valuable = no. This watch is among several reference #s sold as seamaster devilles from early 60s through early 70s. The movement is housed in a "unishell" case that opens from the dial side. This one is likely a caliber 550, or similar reference due to no date. The model number is stamped on the inside caseback so unless you open it, the model number would just be a guess. Your watch has had a facelift at some point in its life which unfortunately greatly affects the value, and the inscription doesn't help either. The face has been repainted, the hands and crown are not original. Depending on the gold content it's worth probably from $150-$300. The gold content is stamped between the lugs at 6, probably hard to see with the bracelet in the way. If it was in original condition they fetch between $600 and $2000, depending on condition and recent service.

This is one in pristine original condition.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for all that info. Now that you say all that I can see its been modified, I'd be willing to bet my grandfather did it himself. The value loss is no big deal my plan is to have it restored and wear it. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Amazing that you can deduct all that from 1 photo! Can you help me judge if this is original face or repainted, hands and price value of this ​​34 mm Omega Seamaster. The hour hand looks to have lume - shouldn't it be "T Swiss Made T"? Thanks

s-l1600 (3).jpg

·
Premium Member
7,544 Posts

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Amazing that you can deduct all that from 1 photo! Can you help me judge if this is original face or repainted, hands and price value of this ​​34 mm Omega Seamaster. The hour hand looks to have lume - shouldn't it be "T Swiss Made T"? Thanks

View attachment 11236514
The dial appears to be original but has some damage at the 9 marker which seems to be pretty serious. Yes one of the hands does not match, not a real issue as one can find matching hands. So it's got two negatives. It would help to know the gold content. Overall I'm not impressed and unless its 18k there isn't much collector value here maybe worth a couple hundred USD if SS. Maybe 100 more for 14k. I've never thought that the Turler name adds much value outside of its country of origin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts