WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My long-awaited Aussie microbrand finally arrived this evening, the Moto Koure MK I. While many opted for the mech-quartz versions, I went for the (quite a bit more expensive) mechanical chronograph.

Here are my snapshot impressions, along with my snapshots.

Comes in a leathery-feeling box that closes with a snap via internal magnets, with a nice, stitched leather interior with compartments for the watch and the warranty/instruction booklet. Outer, thick paper shell with logo around the box. Looks nice.

This watch definitely looks substantive on first glance, both in terms of size (more on that later) and just looking like an expensive watch. Under no circumstances would this be mistaken for a $50 to $200 watch.

Among the positives: A really, really impressive sunburst dial. One of the nicer ones I've ever seen. I went with the "champagne" colored model, and I really like the color and the look. I was worried that the inlaid wood-looking inset around the subdials and date window would look cheesy, but in person, it really looks good, and gives the watch a very unique look. The motivation for the MK I watch series are vintage Jaguar automobiles, but I grew up on the lakes around Michigan, and the inlay reminds me of one of those vintage speedboats with the great wood dashboard and trim. (Some of you will know what I'm talking about.)

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Watch accessory Strap Watch Fashion accessory Leather

The other thing that jumps out at you: Holy cow, is it ever thick. The case dimensions are a quite doable 40mm by 43.3mm, according to my electronic calipers. And bearing in mind that it's a lugless design, that size is remarkably accessible for a lot of wrist types. My petite wife (size XS) even tried it on her wrist and it didn't look glaringly big -- except for the thickness. For me it measured 15.4 mm. On a big diver watch, many wouldn't bat an eye at that. But something about the size of this case makes it come off really thick.

Vehicle Metal

Watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory Hand

Car Family car

The light brown, stitched strap matches the dial and wood-like inlay well. And that's a good thing, as strap changes on this will probably be a little complicated. The strap has an orange underside that you can see on the side of the strap, but I think it looks good.

Bracelet Fashion accessory Jewellery Wrist Strap

This watch is powered by the Seiko NE88. It's a relatively new, column-wheel movement that many think will be a go-to alternative if and when Valjoux 7750 movements are made scarce by ETA. It's gotten positive reviews so far, and I'm looking forward to experiencing it. A good article on the movement here:

The Seiko SII NE88 Automatic Chronograph Movement: A Change In The Wind? | Quill & Pad

The attractive chrono pushers on the MK I are VERY stiff, but I wonder if that will change over time and use. I like the big, motor-inspired, signed crown, too.

Another negative I would note -- while I like the look of the vertically brushed sides of the case, and how it catches the light and contrasts with the shiny parts of the case, a careful look at the edges shows them a little wavy. I'm not one of those "loupe guys," but at this price point, I'd like to see those edges very crisp and straight.

The lume won't be mistaken for a diver watch, but it's there, and it will work. Here is a shot with literally about 20 seconds' worth of charging outside at near-sunset:

Black Green Light Sky Darkness

The little pips of lume on the subdials is a neat touch. Another touch of class, the date wheel at the 6 is a silver/steel color, which is good, as white or black would have looked bad.

Also has anti-reflective sapphire crystal, and water resistance that is meh.

My overall initial take: Its substance and uniqueness, along with a very well-executed dial, make it an attractive watch. Its unusual thickness, and lack of similar fine detail on the case work, detract from something that could be even more of a success.

My first impression was to not wear it and do a catch-and-release, but that may have more to do with my tastes evolving over the nine months or so waiting for the watch. But my wife chimed in and said she really liked it, so it's staying here for at least awhile.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Nice piece, congrats.

Reactions: WorthTheWrist

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Great impressions, I think the watch was worth the investment. Definitely a unique time piece as there's nothing currently like it on the market.

Here's my mecha-quartz burgundy....

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Would've purchased one if they'd offered the blue/wood version in mecaquartz. :(

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
As a fellow Michigander I get the whole "wood boat" reference ;) . I also drive a Jag ... and you have the color I would have picked.

Thanks for the review!

I'd personally like to see some closeups of the casework where the brushed and polished finishes meet. I think I am a little spoiled by the 3 JeanRichards I own and I think the case may be a disappointment, at least for me. Maybe I am one of those "loupe guys" :p .

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I'd personally like to see some closeups of the casework where the brushed and polished finishes meet. I think I am a little spoiled by the 3 JeanRichards I own and I think the case may be a disappointment.
I looked again at my green dial version, and to my eye the case work looks very good, not too far from my terrascope. But I'll take macro pictures tomorrow in natural light.
Thank you for the great review. It it very thick, and I think would have looked better if it was about half the thickness. I find the stem with the tire thread a bit gimmicky, cheapens it a bit.
Meanwhile, another excuse to repost pics of the green one :)
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As a fellow Michigander I get the whole "wood boat" reference ;) . I also drive a Jag ... and you have the color I would have picked.

Thanks for the review!

I'd personally like to see some closeups of the casework where the brushed and polished finishes meet. I think I am a little spoiled by the 3 JeanRichards I own and I think the case may be a disappointment, at least for me. Maybe I am one of those "loupe guys" :p .
All I have available for photography is my iPhone and my crappy photography skills, unfortunately.

If you look at the pic in my original post showing the signed crown, on the top edge of the vertically brushed segment, you can definitely see what I'm talking about regarding the edge being "wavy" instead of crisp and straight.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked again at my green dial version, and to my eye the case work looks very good, not too far from my terrascope. But I'll take macro pictures tomorrow in natural light.
Thank you for the great review. It is very thick, and I think would have looked better if it was about half the thickness. I find the stem with the tire thread a bit gimmicky, cheapens it a bit.
Meanwhile, another excuse to repost pics of the green one :)
View attachment 9064786
To be fair, it's probably exactly as thick as it had to be to accommodate the movement.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I picked up the meca-quartz on pre-order. I think it's a great value for the money....not so sure I'd think the same thing if I sprung for the auto. definitely an original piece which has stayed in my watch box for longer than my crepas decomaster did to be certain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts