WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Minase. You think JLC goes overboard with their movement complexity? Look at Minase and their case and bracelets.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Then there is Hamilton's ODC X-03 Auto, which Robert Downey Jr. has in his collection.

View attachment 15933693

As an amateur astronomer, I certainly like this Jupiter themed watch!

If only they hadn't hid half of the GRS...

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I think you're missing the point. Piston sealed crowns aren't new or innovative, and all of them retain some or all water resistance when the crown is out or unscrewed (even though the watch manufacturers won't advertise that). That Certina DS cutaway in the OP shows a piston sealed crown (double piston sealed on the outside of the tube with a backup inside). I'll wager that every WR analog watch you've ever owned has had a piston seal in the crown or crown tube. Vero is likely still using piston sealed crowns.
Sure, maybe it was all just a marketing gimmick. But they aren't using that design anymore on their latest watch(es). I've chatted with them about it, briefly.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sure they aren't the first to do it, but the monocoque / unibody case of some Citizens is cool. I've only heard of it being done for water resistance (one fewer gasket needed), but wonder if there are any other advantages. Not my pic:

This Radia RBMK (picture stolen from The Time Bum). Don't know what you'd call this but the bent steel bar is cool.

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Mauron Musy, which gets 200m of WR from a specialized case design that has no rubber o-rings.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
No mention of the current IWC Aquatimer yet? Has an internal bezel, right? But where's the crown to turn the internal bezel? Nope, that's not it on the left side of the case. That's a mechanism that allows you to turn the outer metal bezel and the inner timing bezel turns with it. So you have the security of an internal timing bezel that will never get dinged up combined with the ease of an external method of moving the bezel. All this in a package that is water resistant up to 2000 meters (picture is of the "standard" 300m version.)

Next one up, Porsche Design.
Back in the day, Porsche Design watches were made by IWC (I'm sensing a common theme here). They requested a chronograph with hidden pushers. IWC integrated them into the sides of the watch case.

Porsche Design (in the meantime, they've moved on from IWC partnership and work on their own now) has recently refined and re-released this idea with their "Monoblock actuator." Where are the pushers on this watch?

Answer: You push the entire side of the watch. To start the chrono function, you push above the crown where the "4" is. The entire bit of case there pushes in over the sapphire crystal face. The manufacturing tolerances are thinner than razor thin. To reset the chrono, you push in the side below the crown where the "8" is. Same process. Over the watch crystal, the entire side of the case pivots in. The older IWC collaboration merely hid the pushers in the case. This new version turns the entire side of the case into the pushers.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think the OP was interested in case engineering but it has also turned into case design. So, how this hasn't shown up yet surprises me.

Another immediately recognizable case

21 - 35 of 35 Posts