WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I have a Rolex ExII that I got 10 years ago. It is a white dial watch and I have been very pleased with it. I now have the bug for a black dial, but I am not immediatly inclined to spend heavy money on another rolex -- unless my promotion comes through!!!...

I was wondering what your opinion was on this watch? I'd really appreciate input. It looks to have a good movement and features from what I can gather. My biggest pet peave with watches is crystals that scratch or chip. In 10 years my Rolex crystal is flawless. In 6 months I chipped my Seiko OM.

Thanks for any advice or input!

http://www.bernardwatch.com/watch/AVI21

·
3,631 Posts
I'd say that looks pretty good. Sapphire crystal will be rugged as you wish (unlike your Seiko which has a mineral crystal). 200m rating and ETA 2893 movement are also good.
Still for fit and finish, and other options I'd recommend the MKII LRRP, even though it's twice the price. I prefer its domed sapphire crystal without the cyclops magnifier. I also prefer its cleaner dial and more robust, higher quality bracelet and case (as far as I can tell from the photos). I'm in line for a LRRP.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for giving me a reply. That's a beautiful watch as well. I checked out the web site. Very cool. I noted though that they use the same movement. I guess that does indicate that the Avier is a pretty good value?

What aspects did you note that are detractors from the Avier.

·
3,631 Posts
HI rOgue,
Yes, sorry...I forgot what I consider detractors...
Minor things really, then again this hobby is all about the details :)
The Avier has a flat sapphire crystal while I much prefer the aesthetics and fewer reflections of domed sapphire. The Avier has a cyclops magnifier, which makes it far more difficult to read the date at any sort of angle less than 90 degrees.
Finally, there are 2893's and then there are 2893's....basic to elaborate grades. MKII uses the higher grades and then he personally (on the custom models) calibrates them. Every MKII I've owned has been accurate to chronometer standards...like a Rolex. Finally, the Avier has far too much ugly writing on the dial.
In short, the Avier actually looks more like the Rolex, but it has all the design features that I don't like about modern Rolex, while the LRRP is just about perfect.
That being said...If it weren't for the LRRP I believe you would have sold me on the Avier. It is a very nice looking watch at a reasonable price.
One thing I like about the Avier and the MKII is that they are hommage watches...but they are "copying" a design that doesn't exist in the Rolex lineup anymore. Nor has it existed since the 70's....the "McQueen" Explorer. It doesn't feel like buying a "poser" cheap fake of a modern watch off a street corner :)
On a personal note, I've been a customer and followed Bill (MKII Watches) since he staerted the company. I'm a big fan of the decisions he's made and the very high quality product he puts out there. Avier, on the other hand, is just another name.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts