WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. Got a question. I just bought a Montblanc Star Large Automatic off eBay. It came in an original box, complete with a service guide that has an international warranty. As far as I can tell, it looks quite genuine except for one thing. There's an engraving of a gazelle or a mountain goat on the back of the watch. Naturally, I inquired the Montblanc company and their reply was that they've never produced a watch with an animal etching...

So, my question is... is it safe to say that this watch is a counterfiet? The model numbers and the product numbers on the watch and the box match. It has a sweeping second hand... The engravings are all set deep, heck, even the gazelle looks awesome! BUT, I wouldn't want to have paid what I did for a counterfeit. Your opinions are most greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PS. Please take a look at the attached pictures. I can't post the images as links... :(

PPS. Issue resolved :) I took it to a watch shop and had it appraised. The shop mainly dealt Bucheron and didn't have Montblanc but the guy seemed quite respectable. He took a close look and did some fidgeting with the dial and said it was legit, although an older model. BTW, if you click the pictures, they should blow up to full size when you maximize the IE window. Thanks for all your interest and input! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
if it was a used watch, it *could* have been engraved by the previous owner. post photos (even the ones from the ebay listing) when you get the chance.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Some of the replicas these days are frighteningly good.

Having said that, it strikes me as odd that the faker would stick a picture of a goat on the back where the original didn't have one. Are you sure the real one doesn't have it? A reply from someone on the website isn't a guarantee. They might have thought you meant on the front, and not the small engraving you have on yours.

To be sure, you'd have to take it to a watchmaker and have him look at the movement. Or do that yourself, and post a photo of it here, and someone would be able to tell here.

You photos have a very very small depth of field. Any chance of some better ones?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts