WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I previously found the idea of top floor investment (as some call them) to be ludicrous to say the least. But after seeing the video of this apartment/penthouse taking up the complete top floor, with ten by ten foot windows at every glance, I am a changed man. If I had one billion laying around, I would make the purchase at ask.

Another video:

·
Premium Member
Rolex MG Green/Black, DSSD JC, SD43 Mk I, PAM176, 1305, 778, Omega PP, SeaMaster300, MoonPhase
1,944 Posts
That type of opulence neither appeals to me, nor interests me.

·
Premium Member
6,665 Posts
The building exterior looks surprisingly ordinary for such a price tag. Was this deliberate?

The interior and floor space is nice though.
It's not ordinary if you see it in person. The lack of architectural embellishments draw the eye to the ratio of height to small footprint.

Reactions: mudmud and watchRus

·
Premium Member
6,665 Posts
I didn’t watch the video but that building is known as a place where Russian and Chinese oligarchs park their money.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really nice view, but other than that... A bit bland perhaps? Looks like my aunt of 87 designed the interior :/
The one major interior design critique I can make is the whole orange theme in the living/dining room. Especially the orange curtains. Eyes will be drawn to the curtains instead of the windows. I would have gone with a beige color, or something similar in color to the bedroom curtains. Typically, you want to use darker colors in areas where you know it will get dirty. The darker color will mask the dirt better. I would also have gone with a white wall paint rather than the off-white they have used. I am finding off-white paints to be more dingy nowadays.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yeah, that color palette and those lines would get tiring, fast. Too many sharp angles, and hard lines - my guess is it’s too low of a ceiling for the open span they wanted.
At that price point, compromise is very dumb.
A room that size needs a 12-14’ ceiling to be comfortable.

·
Registered
7,519 Posts
Typically, you want to use darker colors in areas where you know it will get dirty. The darker color will mask the dirt better.
It's a $169,000,000 apartment, how dirty do you think it can possible get? Besides, it will likely get used once or twice a year by the owner and I can almost guarantee there will be a cleaning person in that apartment at least once a week. There might even be a full time live-in maid/butler, for those surprise visits (the prevailing opinion is that these places are primarily used to bank cash and/or money laundering)

·
Registered
262 Posts
It’s not the opulent price or anything like that which turns me off...

...the decor was way off. Couldn’t get a good vision for how I’d make the place my own. My fear of heights would keep me way away from those glorious windows. And too bad it’s in NYC. Might be a nice place if it were in pretty much any other major metro.

·
Registered
7,519 Posts
It's not the opulent price or anything like that which turns me off...

...the decor was way off. Couldn't get a good vision for how I'd make the place my own. My fear of heights would keep me way away from those glorious windows. And too bad it's in NYC. Might be a nice place if it were in pretty much any other major metro.
What's wrong with NYC...I mean, based on your personal experience? And where were you thinking, downtown duluth or houston? As for the decor, what was off; no front porch, no elvis on black velvet, no tree in the front yard to use as an engine lift?

As for the building, it sits on billionaires row at the south end of central park, a more exclusive NYC setting you're be hard pressed to find and home to some of the best trailer parks in the country

1 - 20 of 58 Posts