WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Searched the webs and haven't found a definitive answer on how to put the balance hairspring inside the balance arm pin on a Vostok 2415.

There's a tiny slot where the hairspring can be inserted with enough flipping I guess but I think that will mess the hairspring, even more as it is attach to the wheel.

Any way to open it to allow for easy install? Some balances have a screw slot where you can move the pin a bit aside, there's no such thing on the vostok regulator arm, do you have to open it and then close it by force? Am I missing something?

Maybe this is on the wrong forum and should be on watchmaking.

Thank you.

·
1,223 Posts
Indeed, these Vostok regulator arms are a pain. I normally put the bridge flat on its back, so the balance sits on top. Have the hair-spring stud positioned above the slot. I then insert a fitting screw-driver in the bottom slot of the regulator arm and twist the two parts open. Often, due to the twisting action of the screw-driver, the whole regulator arm turns away from you :roll:
Once you have managed to get the two parts apart, you have to insert the hair-spring stud. It's fiddly work and I'm sure that you wish for another pair of hands too :)

Undoubtedly Vostok has a special tool for it, and I would very much like to know how that one works/looks like. Luckily I don't have to do this job often, but you are not the only one struggling ;-)
So far patience and perseverance have saved me ...........

Suc6 :-!

Reactions: Matt_Bored_O

·
1,223 Posts
Is comrade japc actually asking how to get the hairspring between the brass pin and brass boot on the other arm of the balance :think:
Sorry, I didn't distill that out of his question ....

Again. this is done with the bridge laying on its back, balance-wheel sitting on top. Best is to place the regulator pin further away from the arm which holds the hair-spring stud; this to create more space & spring flexibility/mobility/movement.

To get the hair-spring from and behind the pin of the regulator arm, you have to open the "head" (by lack of a better word or brass-boot may indeed be the term :think:) either to the left or to the right. Remove or insert the spring. Once inserted, close the "head" (brass boot) and make sure that the hairspring sits low enough while doing so.

Attachments

Reactions: Avidfan

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sorry, I didn't distill that out of his question ....

Again. this is done with the bridge laying on its back, balance-wheel sitting on top.

To get the hair-spring from and behind the pin of the regulator arm, you have to open the "head" (by lack of a better word or brass-boot may be the term?) either to the left or to the right. Remove or insert the spring. Once inserted, close the "head" (brass boot) and be make sure that the hairspring sits low enough while doing so.
That's what I do :-! but wasn't sure If it was the correct way as there seems to be nothing on the web about this in regard to Vostoks ;-)

And comrade japc should be aware that the brass pin next to the boot is very fragile and easily broken (been there :-()

·
1,223 Posts
That's what I do :-! but wasn't sure If it was the correct way as there seems to be nothing on the web about this in regard to Vostoks ;-)

And comrade japc should be aware that the brass pin next to the boot is very fragile and easily broken (been there :-()
Comrade japc should be aware that there are many parts which are fragile and easily broken (I guess we've all been there :roll: :))

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Based on the question I was wandering whatever or mot modern Vostok to do not allow to open the lock for the spring. But looks like this is the standard soviet balance: there is a grove for the screwdriver so one can open up the balance, put the spring in and close it. I guess the mystery is solved.

There is surprising few web resources available how to service various calibers. Best source: soviet books if you can read Russian.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is comrade japc actually asking how to get the hairspring between the brass pin and brass boot on the other arm of the balance :think:
That's right, how to slide the hairspring in between the regulator arm pin and boot. I don't see any screwdriver slot there to allow the boot to rotate.

The stud install I grok it, may be a pita but I do get the procedure.

·
1,223 Posts
If the "boot" does not have a screwdriver-slot or a "V" in it, all what's left is to open it, as shown below, with your tweezers. Don't "over-reach" with the tweezers tips as than while turning, as comrade Avidfan says, you will bend/break the tiny thin brass pin.
Take your time and use enough magnification so you can clearly see what you are doing.

Suc6 :-!

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the "boot" does not have a screwdriver-slot or a "V" in it, all what's left is to open it, as shown below, with your tweezers. Don't "over-reach" with the tweezers tips as than while turning, as comrade Avidfan says, you will bend/break the tiny thin brass pin.
Take your time and use enough magnification so you can clearly see what you are doing.
Seems pretty doable and easy enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts