WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After spending some time back "home" for the holidays and going through some of my old left-for-dead digital watches that I wore when I was younger, I've decided that maybe it's time that I add an inexpensive and functional digital watch to my collection.

I've been doing some research, though there's one specific requirement that I have that is very hard to uncover - which watches are equipped with a "silent mode". Basically a setting that enables silent navigation through modes or stop/start the stopwatch without any beeps or boops.

Through my reading, I'm finding that this is something that is becoming more standard on newer Casio modules among others, though I was wondering if there might be any recommendations for quality watches that have this "silent" mode and check off the other functional requirements below:

- Day and date on primary time screen, preferably month as well
- 24 hour stopwatch and countdown function
- Current time shown in countdown and stopwatch modes
- Swim-able water resistance

I think that should do it for requirements, though I'll add that in general my watch preferences typically lean more towards uncluttered, small, thin, and minimalist with form following function. Simple, very legible watches are usually those that I gravitate to, though I'd definitely be willing to consider some watches outside of my comfort zone if they're the only ones able to meet my primary requirements.

One last note on price - since this is a function based cry for help ;-), obviously the cheaper the better (hopefully under $100), though again - for the right watch I might be willing to go above.

Thanks so much for any help or direction that you might be able to provide! If there's any more info that I might be leaving out please let me know. In the meantime, I'll be keeping up with my personal search and will check back with any notable updates.

·
Registered
8,523 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It's a little bit out of left field, but... you never know: The Tissot SilenT-Touch. Not only can it be operated silently, but the touch function allows you to do cool things like know the time without looking at the watch face and just running your finger around it (it vibrates.) It's pretty cool tech. Although it is ana-digi and so may not be exactly what you're looking for.

But I've found that sometimes "left-field" suggestions can open up new areas of exploration that we haven't yet considered.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like the G-Shock GD-350 is the perfect choice for you.
Wow, that GD-350 is really something... and would indeed check off all of my requirements. I find the GD-350-1 color combination particularly appealing.

I sort of wish there was a more elegant way of displaying currently selected settings than the circular pie thing, and I'm still not sure of the actual use of the min/sec bars next to it - any thoughts? If there are logical reasons for this type of layout I'd love to hear it.

Reading the manual... holy cow - auto-light and a low battery indicator too. This thing looks pretty amazing. Aside from some layout questions, my only concern is with the size honestly, as I don't have the thickest wrists in the world.

As for the $25 world timer - not a bad choice either. I sort of wish the layout was a little bit more focused on the main time and info as opposed to the alarm/map - but it could be a contender as well if size becomes too much of an issue with the GD-350.

Looked at the Silen-T as well, though I have to say that this is an interesting suggestion, but out of my price range and doesn't really address what I feel are the main benefits of digital watches (which I didn't mention before): accuracy and a clear display of precise information at all times. No concerns with the main time hands covering up a date or rendering a chrono subdial unreadable.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far, will keep researching before I pull the trigger, but I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
That "circular pie thing" (lol, never heard that :-d) is an indicator whether one or more of the following functions are enabled: auto light, vibe alarm, timer and buttons mute. If you look for a more elegant solution the Casio W735H might also be a choice for you: Amazon.com: w-735h

Basically it can be described as the little brother of the GD-350 with similar but not identical functions. For instance, it doesn't show current time while in stopwatch or timer mode, it only has one alarm and the duration of the backlight can't be configured (1, 3 or 5 seconds in case of the GD-350), but for the ridiculous low price the W-735 is certainly a steel.

cheers

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I guess a linear layout is more pleasing to my eye - but what about the min/sec bars in the upper left hand? Those I'm completely lost on as far as usefulness is concerned. Can anybody clue me in?

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
Yeah, I guess a linear layout is more pleasing to my eye - but what about the min/sec bars in the upper left hand? Those I'm completely lost on as far as usefulness is concerned. Can anybody clue me in?
Oh that. Well it is basically just another animation to show time passing from left to right or vice versa when the timer is in engaged. It is simply the way Casio likes to clutter up their watches, kind of a "trademark". As far as usefulness is questioned - there is none ;-)

If you expect a total uncluttered display you should take a look a the Timex's. My personal fave of vibration watches is the T-49851, a trully stunning time-piece with a highly configurable menu and lots of options. However it is not perfect, for instance the reset button still beeps if you restet the timer and/or start it, same with the stopwatch. regardless if the watch is set to mute or not. It also doesn't show current time in any other mode. I got rid of the annoying beeps by opening the caseback and simply put a piece of duct-tape over the piezo speaker( so the alarm spring can't make contact with the caseback), it is a simple, effective mod, doesn't take more than five minutes and it can be undone any time you like. After that you get a total mute watch with a truly unclutterd display, a great backlight (far less bright and more even than the GD-350) a strong(er) vibe alarm, full nighttime usability and all for a very reasonable price - like I said, my fave.

Amazon.com: t-49851

cheers

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Basically a setting that enables silent navigation through modes or stop/start the stopwatch without any beeps or boops.
That is something that almost every newer Casio model can do - but the alarms and timer end-beeper still sound. The GD-350 can be muted completely because of the vibe function. It's actually not that big on the wrist considering length or diameter but it's fairly thick.
(7" wrists)

cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got rid of the annoying beeps by opening the caseback and simply put a piece of duct-tape over the piezo speaker( so the alarm spring can't make contact with the caseback), it is a simple, effective mod, doesn't take more than five minutes and it can be undone any time you like.
Really? That's all that I had to do to silence one of these watches? Jackpot! Just tried this with my very old dw290, and along with a fresh battery it looks like I'm good to go. I love the layout of this watch - and since I wore it so much when I was younger, all of the teal lettering has worn off leaving what I think is a very classy watch behind.

I'm aware that this is something of a love it or hate it style watch, but I'm completely in the love camp - primarily for the layout and easy to use pushers. Though the strap has since rotted away, since the dw290 has somewhat standard lugs (19mm) and spring pins, I've thrown it on a somewhat small (18mm) mil-spec I had lying around and am completely satisfied.

Will likely put it on a 20mm nato/zulu/mil-spec in the near future, but absolutely loving this watch right now.

Obligatory pics:

Watch Wrist Stopwatch Technology Hand

Wrist Revolver Hand Finger Trigger

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Great to see this work out. Also, funny! You guys are purposely causing one of the most common digital watch problems - - no sound.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You inspired me to dog out my own old 290 and put it on a NATO. I can confirm that a 20mm strap fits on without any real difficulty.

Really? That's all that I had to do to silence one of these watches? Jackpot! Just tried this with my very old dw290, and along with a fresh battery it looks like I'm good to go. I love the layout of this watch - and since I wore it so much when I was younger, all of the teal lettering has worn off leaving what I think is a very classy watch behind.

I'm aware that this is something of a love it or hate it style watch, but I'm completely in the love camp - primarily for the layout and easy to use pushers. Though the strap has since rotted away, since the dw290 has somewhat standard lugs (19mm) and spring pins, I've thrown it on a somewhat small (18mm) mil-spec I had lying around and am completely satisfied.

Will likely put it on a 20mm nato/zulu/mil-spec in the near future, but absolutely loving this watch right now.

Obligatory pics:

View attachment 1330621

View attachment 1330622

1 - 12 of 12 Posts