WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
19 Posts
Hi everyone, I am in progress of working on a new updated forum software that can be used as a replacement to sites like this (not that this is bad by any means, but it can be so much better). I created a site called <redacted by Admin> (which is still private at the moment), but my goal would be to offer the same capabilities that you have here, but just give you a more sophisticated system where you can get instant updates and more real time conversations all on new age code and servers. Would you all be interested in moving over to that site? Is there anything else that would be helpful outside of a higher performing forum with all those updates?

Here is my mission statement:
<redacted by Admin>, A Better Experience

For years, the online watch trading market has had many options. There are many popular sites that users flock to in order to buy, sell, and trade watches. Until today all of these sites were run on old designs and old code. No changes have really been made to improve the user experience for the people that wake up each morning and do this for a living.

My aim for
<redacted by Admin> is not to promise better watches and more respective users, but simply a better experience for the user. This forum is built using the latest web development languages on top of secure scalable hardware. It’s faster than all of the others, hands down, and is even easier to navigate. Why post up your luxury watch to a forum that is unappealing and hard to navigate, it makes no sense! You, as the user, deserve better. We hope to be that change for you. We urge you to just try it out. If you like it and find it to be the better platform, then you become the voice and can garner the other users to follow. Once the users are here, the game is changed forever…

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This site is just full of adds and large unneeded sections that take away from the experience. I just want to create a better software for everyone to use, including myself. If there is real interest I will continue my development and would love a few beta testers when the time comes.

·
Premium Member
9,474 Posts
This site is just full of adds and large unneeded sections that take away from the experience. I just want to create a better software for everyone to use, including myself. If there is real interest I will continue my development and would love a few beta testers when the time comes.
And how do you plan to pay for the site without the ads?

What unneeded sections do you see? Are they sections in which YOU have no interest...or truly unneeded? Be careful projecting your personal preferences.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
This site works well for me and being watch mad I like the adds as I get to explore watches I've never heard of. It's all part of the fun, it'd be boring without them. Don't know if any one agrees though I suspect a few do.

·
Registered
10,147 Posts
Well... good luck.
What keeps people here is the fact that people are here. Maybe, over time, it could change.

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At the moment I am not doing this to garner any real revenue as I can keep the overhead very very low using on demand servers, in the future if things are going well I could look into other affiliate programs, but you need to gain some level of trust before you can put anything in front of the users. I agree that I shouldn't inject any of my personal objections into the idea and I apologize for being vague. I have no problem with this site, just see room for improvement since the vBulletin software is a bit dated. In order to check for updates you have to refresh and reload the pages or go back into the main categories to find what you were looking for. The new software I am working on can give instant updates so that you can jump right back into the conversation you were just in. Also it would give users the ability to use this on mobile and have it be 100% supported. Is there anything else that you would think would be nice? Do you think its worthwhile?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Short answer: Sure, I have interest in a better version of this site.

Long(er) answer: By better I mean, with all the great people and none of the trolls, no ads, very easy to use interface, better notifications, and better deals on watches in the for sale section. I don't see how you could accomplish this or what specifically would actually be improved (as to be clear, I don't see any real problems), but if you build it people may come.

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
great people = will take time to garner users and gain their trust
no trolls = better administrator support to help monitor the forum
no ads = was planning to start with zero ads and eventually move to a minimal system that isnt in your face
easy to use interface = this is a priority one within the new software
better notifications = this is also part of the interface and is much improved
better deals = this i cannot promise since i will not control the content, that will be based on the users, but if we can filter out the bad, these good deals may be more present.

With more users and more traffic I will be better positioned to work with more watch companies to potentially offer specific advertising for deals they may be running that are specific to each user. I agree that while there is no real "issue", there is always room for improvement if you can give people a better experience which is really all I am aiming to do.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'd just like a site that loads pages faster. This is, by far, the slowest loading site I go to, presumably due to all the great watch pics. Would love to keep the pics and increase the speed.

·
Banned
121 Posts
All I could say right know is "Good Luck", personally I see nothing wrong with the site not even the ads bother me as long as members are active.

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Speed would definitely be a key feature of the new software.

I agree that it would be hard to get users to come over to the new site, but that is why I just wanted to poll this group to see what people are interested in and if it improved certain aspects, would it be enough to go over. I know user base is basically the one reason you would go onto any forum and that will certainly be the hardest part. I just wanted to see what other features would make the transition that much better.

·
Premium Member
9,474 Posts
no trolls = better administrator support to help monitor the forum
The time commitment for something like this is easily, seriously underestimated. And the notion of what is, or is not, trolling is not at all clear-cut.

Obviously, the forum here is huge...but there are, I think, over 50 admins and volunteer moderators. And probably very large sections that only get reviewed when someone sends in a notification about an improper post.

I was a board monitor on a fairly small board on AOL...WAY back in the day. Maybe 25 years ago. One of my tasks was keeping posts reasonably family-friendly, when it could quite easily drift. None of the Carlin 7 Words, for example. It could be *quite* time consuming...and if you didn't do it for a couple days, the backlog piled up. The bloom wears off that rose REAL quick.

Reactions: rfortson

·
Registered
577 Posts
I use Tapatalk to interface with the forum. I'm not sure that I would contribute as much of my useless musings without it.

Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Completely understandable, thats why in my original post I mentioned that I wouldnt be able to promise better users. My post above was simply to stat that moderation is really the only solution for that and like you mentioned, it is a daunting task. I definitely am not promising to solve that, just simply that with moderation we would do our best to keep it down, just like this site and others attempt to do. I dont mean to underestimate that topic at all.

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you didnt need Tapatalk, and could access the forum very easily on mobile, without an app, would that be an improvement or downfall?

·
Registered
36,311 Posts
Not sure if the OP has checked out the IWL forum, which was established as an alternative to WUS a few years ago. It is fairly popular and quite a few IWL members are also still here at WUS.

My point is, this making of another watch site has been done before. There are advantages but it does thin the WIS herd. And I dare say most of us end up back here at WUS because of the sheer volume of like-minded folks are here, I think.

·
Registered
36,311 Posts
If you didnt need Tapatalk, and could access the forum very easily on mobile, without an app, would that be an improvement or downfall?
I do Not use Tapatalk and I post and surf exclusively on an iPad Air (1.0) using Safari browser via a VPN using adblockers and Ghostery tracking blocker. It works great.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.