WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I quite fancy the Speedmaster Triple Date despite it's "busy" looking dial. I've noticed recently there are quite a few of these available online and I'm interested. From what I've read, it uses quite a reliable and accurate movement which is also easy to service. Seems like a good choice for a first time buyer, I'm confident as a newbie I can get my hands on a good one if I do enough research. Hopefully I can get some additional info from you guys.

From what I have read, there is the earlier version 3523.80, and the newer version from around 2008, the 3220.50 which is also a chronometer. Forgive my ignorance but does that mean it's a proper chronometer with a certificate? There doesn't seem to be much of a price difference between the two and from what I know, chronometers are usually always priced higher.

Other than that, I don't think I've read much else on any differences between the two variants. I'll be looking into it more closely over the next couple of days but I'd appreciate it if anyone could point out any differences I might miss. I can't actually tell if it's 39 or 40mm. Some posts I've read indicate the 3220.50 is 40mm.

Are there any known issues I should know about or anything I should look closely at when checking the watch? I'll be watching youtube vids to see how everything works so I don't make a fool of myself asking why one of the hands doesn't move or why the calendar doesn't advance when I turn the crown.

Thanks in advance.

·
Sponsor
13,171 Posts
Main differences:

3521.xx - 39mm, solid bezel, fold clasp bracelet
3523.xx - 39mm, bezel with insert (usually steel), hidden clasp bracelet
3220.xx - 40mm bezel with color insert, moonwatch-style bracelet, chronometer

The most common issue with this is that the day-of-the-week corrector on the left side of the case gets gummed up with dirt. This is not a defect! Its just that it gets dirty and stuck quickly and needs to be cleaned.

There is an even earlier model - 3521.80

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I believe that these are a lot more expensive to service, so bear that in mind.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've had the silver dial version (3523.30) for 17 years and it has been a fairly solid and reliable watch. These models aren't very popular as people don't consider them to be a real Speedmaster.

The timekeeping was pretty good for the first 14 years before it started going bad and needed a full service. The only other issue I had was a malfunctioning chronograph which only appeared after Omega NJ serviced it. Fortunately, it was still under warranty and the Omega Seattle service center fixed it.

As for the cost of service, Omega charges the same price as is it does for any other chronograph ($750).

IMG_0803.JPG

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all.

@watcvaultnyc - That helps clear up some confusion with the different models.

With regard to the reliability or known issues, I read one or two posts about the date not advancing or needing to be manually advanced every two weeks or something like that. I can't find the post as I sped through reading quite a few last night but I'll try to find it. I don't think it was a widespread thing but I don't suppose I will be able to check for something like that until it happens.

Is servicing and service history absolutely essential when looking at one of these?

I have two options this weekend. One guy online with one in good condition, minor signs of wear with full box and warranty cards (no recipet). He's nearby and willing to trade in person at an Omega boutique. My other option is one from an actual store that sells used watches and jewelry, it's in pristine condition but no box or papers. Neither have any mention of servicing, the store offers no guarantee or refund.

I probably won't buy just yet as I don't want to rush but if I were, which of the two options would you advice towards proceeding with? I'm leaning towards the guy from the internet as he provides a box and full papers which would help with the resale later on but I haven't seen the watch in person.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump... And I'd like to add another question. I've been looking around some more, I found another one which was really good condition apart from the bezel. This particular one had signs of wear on the inner part of the bezel and the ring between the bezel and the crystal. It seems unusual to me and I'm wondering if it was normal or might be an indication that it has been misused or tampered with?

Here is a sample of a similar thing I found, look towards the bottom near the 120 on the tachymeter there are also marks around the bezel, mostly on the inside. The actual watch has more wear on the beze, on the inner part like paint peel.
DSC08539_zpsypeawhed.jpg~original.jpg

·
Sponsor
13,171 Posts
If the bezel insert has scratches on the inner side when the outer side does not, it suggests that the bezel was removed (maybe several times) at some point. Maybe due to service, not necessarily tampering

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
This model does look nice; how thick are they?

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the bezel insert has scratches on the inner side when the outer side does not, it suggests that the bezel was removed (maybe several times) at some point. Maybe due to service, not necessarily tampering
Actually on the watch I'm looking at it looks like the paint is peeling from the inner part of the bezel, but there are a few scratches as well. I thought it may have been one of those things specific to a model since I've now seen it on at least two watches. I thought about maybe going ahead with it until I noticed the slight wear which did not seem consistent with the rest of the watch.

I guess it's up to the individual how much cosmetic damage and signs of wear they are willing to put up with but should I be worried a watch with this type of wear?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts