WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent month hunting for one of these, but could never find it... if anyone has an idea of what search terms to use, I'd like to know

But instead... I came across this one which I bought today.. should be on its way:

I don't know any details about it, but I love the typeface and couldn't resist ordering it.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The first one you were searching for will be fairly hard to find and expensive if you do find one. Unless the seller doesn't know what they have :-d

The one you bought is awesome! I have yet to see that dial anywhere. Jealous

·
Registered
131 Posts
Flawless, the one with the 'octagonal' case, the case looks like a 100 series amphibia case to me. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I've always wondered about those octogonal cases. Haven't seen them in any catalogues I can remember of in these pages and other forums. However it seems quite common, so never know whether it's =franken or not.

Is it an Amphibia case? What period about if you know that?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Vostok currently offers at least two watches with octagonal cases...the 100 series and the 670 series.

Here's my 670..

vostok 670922 8.jpg

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Right, and I actually also own one--I should have been more precise--haven't noticed the vintage octogonal case in any catalog--but I admit having an obvious talent to miss the obvious.
That case looks to me similar to the modern 100 case but with a smaller size.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The Soviet-era octagonal case was known as the Albatross. No idea why!
The octagonal case type was never known as Albatross. The name belongs to a series of watches produced in the late soviet era. All had the word Albatross on the dial. Notably the Radio Room dial.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Great, thanks a lot for that ! Now I know it's a 270 case and it's an Amphibia. Next step will be to check wether mine is in its original case or it's been recased.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm not so sure it's an amphibia case, scratch test under the lug and see if it's brass if you want to be 100% sure. If it's brass, it's not amphibia.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's definitely not brass. Also, I noticed that the original picture I posted is also an octagonal case. Should there be a reference number somewhere on the watch?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts