2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Thanks for this link. I find it crazy, even sad, that people are willing to
pay for this piece of junk.
Please people, spare the "if someone want's to pay then..."
This argument is well known, never convinced me.

Actually, when I see it I feel lucky that Bill is making the Kingston,
and praying that I'll never reach that level of materialism <| in watches
or anything else. Or maybe I'm there already?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Semi-OT: What surprises me is Roli and Pam haven't offered "service watch" equivalents for those that actually like that style watch and the quality, but won't pay for the museum piece.

I've love to see Roli offer a date-less (non cyclops) sub with fixed lugbars and the old style bezel insert and no table of contents printed on the dial either:-d...or a 47mm Rad or 47mm Luminor w/o small seconds and high grade ETA Unita's with a solid case back...hold the hardwood coffins, caseback hologram stickers and other consoluation prizes to keep the cost down. Either firm do this in sufficient enough quantity to be had and I'll make room in the watch box.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for this link. I find it crazy, even sad, that people are willing to
pay for this piece of junk.
Please people, spare the "if someone want's to pay then..."
This argument is well known, never convinced me.

Actually, when I see it I feel lucky that Bill is making the Kingston,
and praying that I'll never reach that level of materialism <| in watches
or anything else. Or maybe I'm there already?

Well, I wouldn't call it junk. It was in a military issue Rolex and is quite rare. The collectors of vintage Rolexes are content with pieces in their "as-is" state. It's actually nice to see people embrace the beauty of something that isn't perfect.

For example, the collectors gush over pieces like this old 6538. The dial is really exquisite even though it has changed markedly over the last 50+ years.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Semi-OT: What surprises me is Roli and Pam haven't offered "service watch" equivalents for those that actually like that style watch and the quality, but won't pay for the museum piece.

I've love to see Roli offer a date-less (non cyclops) sub with fixed lugbars and the old style bezel insert and no table of contents printed on the dial either:-d...or a 47mm Rad or 47mm Luminor w/o small seconds and high grade ETA Unita's with a solid case back...hold the hardwood coffins, caseback hologram stickers and other consoluation prizes to keep the cost down. Either firm do this in sufficient enough quantity to be had and I'll make room in the watch box.
Actually, Panerai has released a slew of historic re-issues. They also have a new 42mm Radiomir line this year that has the new in-house movement.

I'm digging this PAM 338. It's brushed titanium with a steel bezel and the new Panerai in-house P.999 movement (hand wound).

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Well, I wouldn't call it junk. It was in a military issue Rolex and is quite rare. The collectors of vintage Rolexes are content with pieces in their "as-is" state. It's actually nice to see people embrace the beauty of something that isn't perfect.
Sorry, didn't mean to criticize anybody, only spoke through my own POV.
Collectors who want to preserve history are fine with me.
The examples you've posted are beautiful, if I disregard the price tag.
Again, didn't mean to insult anybody.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Actually, Panerai has released a slew of historic re-issues. They also have a new 42mm Radiomir line this year that has the new in-house movement.

I'm digging this PAM 338. It's brushed titanium with a steel bezel and the new Panerai in-house P.999 movement (hand wound).
The slew (232, 249, 127 and 117) all went for more money than the base model watches, despite relative basic content in many. I don't suspect many 249's get salty.:-d

Regarding in-house movements, I'm of the opinion they can only increase cost as a small volume manufacturer sells fewer units to marginalize the cost of developing said movements. Nice, yes, viable as a service or contract watch, not likely as they would not be the least cost bidder. We are in the day of disposible digitals and luxury brands more point to legacy of their service pieces than offering a product in the same vain using today's materials, techniques and technology.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The slew (232, 249, 127 and 117) all went for more money than the base model watches, despite relative basic content in many. I don't suspect many 249's get salty.:-d

Regarding in-house movements, I'm of the opinion they can only increase cost as a small volume manufacturer sells fewer units to marginalize the cost of developing said movements. Nice, yes, viable as a service or contract watch, not likely as they would not be the least cost bidder. We are in the day of disposible digitals and luxury brands more point to legacy of their service pieces than offering a product in the same vain using today's materials, techniques and technology.
Actually, the slew for 2010 is:

29, 339, 300, etc... (probably more depending on what you count as re-issue)

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/panerai-forum/35812-panerai-2010-releases-est-prices.html

I don't really understand you. Out of one side of your mouth you complain that the basic Panerai have nothing special inside (I agree), but then when they make an in-house movement, you seem to discount the benefits out of the other side of your mouth.

Panerai will be expensive. Period. I'm just happy there are more models that have movements worth spending that extra money on now.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Actually, the slew for 2010 is:

29, 339, 300, etc... (probably more depending on what you count as re-issue)

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/panerai-forum/35812-panerai-2010-releases-est-prices.html

I don't really understand you. Out of one side of your mouth you complain that the basic Panerai have nothing special inside (I agree), but then when they make an in-house movement, you seem to discount the benefits out of the other side of your mouth.

Panerai will be expensive. Period. I'm just happy there are more models that have movements worth spending that extra money on now.

Allow me to clarify.

Statement regarding content was not a complaint about wanting content, rather a statement of fact that the lack of content meant the movement was not the basis for pricing well in excess of base models.

There is no advocacy of inhouse movements in my statements above, I believe in house movements increase cost, with limited production and increased cost come a reluctance to actually USE the watch for what it was made for. The 249's legacy roots, the Cali' dialed 3646 were instruments on a combat swimmer's wrist and not a fashion accessory or resident of a safety deposit box, sigh. As stated, I doubt many 249's get salty.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Allow me to clarify.

Statement regarding content was not a complaint about wanting content, rather a statement of fact that the lack of content meant the movement was not the basis for pricing well in excess of base models.

There is no advocacy of inhouse movements in my statements above, I believe in house movements increase cost, with limited production and increased cost come a reluctance to actually USE the watch for what it was made for. The 249's legacy roots, the Cali' dialed 3646 were instruments on a combat swimmer's wrist and not a fashion accessory or resident of a safety deposit box, sigh. As stated, I doubt many 249's get salty.

That was my point. I agree - the mundane guts of most Panerai watches turn me off when I see the price tag.

However, I do see that an in-house movement rectifies that, so I'm at a loss as to why you wouldn't be an advocate.

As for finding a watch you might actually -use-, isn't that why we're all here on -this- forum? :-!;-)

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
That was my point. I agree - the mundane guts of most Panerai watches turn me off when I see the price tag.

However, I do see that an in-house movement rectifies that, so I'm at a loss as to why you wouldn't be an advocate.

As for finding a watch you might actually -use-, isn't that why we're all here on -this- forum? :-!;-)
Gotcha, I agree, for more money, people tend to expect more, I'd love to see less with a price that reflect it. ;-)

As for using them, heck yeh!

Last triatholon I did there was a sea of digitals, one submariner and my Longines Legend...guy with the Sub and I looked approvingly at one anothers pieces before hitting the salt. ;-)

·
Registered
269 Posts
And I thought I was the only crazy one here. I wore my LRRP on a Bond NATO for the last du I did.

Gotcha, I agree, for more money, people tend to expect more, I'd love to see less with a price that reflect it. ;-)

As for using them, heck yeh!

Last triatholon I did there was a sea of digitals, one submariner and my Longines Legend...guy with the Sub and I looked approvingly at one anothers pieces before hitting the salt. ;-)

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
That's just great--like the "Pat" character on old SLN episodes.

So are the hands gold or silver?

heb

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my Longines Legend...
Nice!

I almost had one of those. Signed the papers and everything at a local Tourneau (even got a good deal) and then they couldn't find the correct box for the thing.

I had them void the sale on the spot. I told them I'd still be interested if they could find the correct box, but it never materialized.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So are the hands gold or silver?

heb
Which watch are we talking about? The old Rolex with the crackle dial appear to be non-gilt. The Panerai has gilt hands.

·
Registered
502 Posts

Hear, hear!

I wish they would release a Sub with drilled lugs, a dial with printed markers (i.e. no white-gold surrounds), and a domed crystal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts