WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

There's a new watch brand out this week and I was wondering what you guys thought about it: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-ming-1701-the-first-watch-from-new-micro-brand-ming-watches

I've know the brand's founder, Ming Thein personally through my photography interest, so there's probably some bias here but I think this is an interesting value proposition with some really unique and appealing design. I've ordered one and will share my thoughts on it if there is interest, but I was curious to see what the folks on WUS thought about it.

Regards,
PraneethRS

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great looking watch and those dials are beautiful. Shame about the name though.
I don't see why the name should be an issue - on this forum at least. A good value proposition is a good value proposition regardless of the name on the dial no?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I don't see why the name should be an issue - on this forum at least. A good value proposition is a good value proposition regardless of the name on the dial no?
No.

Reactions: Perseverence

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Interesting, especially at its price point. Slightly disappointed that, with all the care in testing and minimizing the effect of oxygen on the movement, it would carry only a one-year warranty.

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Saw the article this morning. Interesting vibe, and I love the size. I do get the "too fashion-like" position; this is a watch for a SoHo gallery, rather than, say, an office desk.

Heck with it.

Just ordered a gray dial. I'd do blue more often, but the gray dial looks better on all 3 straps.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
If the next model has a diamond at 12 o'clock they can call it the "Ming Bling".

·
Premium Member
40,679 Posts
Saw this a few days ago on instagram. Gorgeous design. Titanium a bonus too.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Good looking watch. I really like the pattern on the dial. But the fact that parts of the numerals are incorporated into the ring really bugs me. If the ring and numbers were separate, I think it would look much better. Just my opinion.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Can't understand the Nitrogen thing. Switzerland is at an altitude about 1,500 feet higher than Malaysia. That equates to slightly over a 3lb psi pressure difference - the same difference as between the surface and 1.5m under water. Therefore if the watch is cased in Switzerland and tested in Malaysia, once the crown has been pulled out the increased air pressure forces air into the watch.

So, once the watch is shipped it already has air inside it and if the new owner lives at only 500 feet above sea level, once the crown is pulled, the pressure equalises with some of the air/nitrogen mix escaping. Each time the crown is pulled at a different altitude or pressure (and this varies based on the weather so no where is immune) air will either enter or escape from the watch, eventually the case will be filled with air and no nitrogen. Therefore unless you are only ever going to wind/set the watch in a Nitrogen chamber you are paying for a pointless marketing gimmick.

And for those that disagree, take your watch (what ever it is) and pull the crown when 0.5m underwater, then fully wind the watch and set the time before pushing the crown back into position, and remember to do this every couple of days and see what happens....maybe nothing or maybe a ruined watch.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
I loathe "0" markers. I'll pass, thank you...
...very nice design for the most part, don't mind the "0" vice 12 but the orientation on the 3 -- and for that matter the 9 -- are hard to accept. Give Ming and partners a solid A Minus though for an otherwise solid execution and inventive approach to watch design. Nice to know someone is out there trying hard to break the cycle of boring offerings by micro-brands.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts