WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
May issue I think. They tore apart the Dark Side of the Moon and the Chronomat Blacksteel.

I actually thought that there'd be very little differences between the two movements but that wasn't the case at all. Additionally, I'd much prefer a black ceramic case which won't chip or scratch over the DLC on the Breitling.

The Omega movement is much better finished and exudes quality. Take off the mainplate on the Breitling and you could almost be looking at a generic Sea-Gull.

I own a few Breitlings but no Omegas. This article has caused me to consider changing that ratio a bit.

Very well written article from the perspective of a senior watchmaker.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400343232.773856.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400343253.798031.jpg

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
....The Omega movement is much better finished and exudes quality. Take off the mainplate on the Breitling and you could almost be looking at a generic Sea-Gull....
I suppose the same could be true of a Daytona. Just because a movement is much better finished doesn't necessarily mean it is of higher quality which I would measure by material, construction, stability. Both the Omega and the Breitling are chronometers, so finishing doesn't seem to interfere with the ability to obtain that certification.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You are right, but when I spend that much money on a watch I like to think that every component is as high a quality as the visible ones even if both perform equally well.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
You are right, but when I spend that much money on a watch a like to think that every component is as high a quality as the visible ones even if both perform equally well.
I'm not of the opinion that finishing (nice as it is) is directly related to quality - you can do all sorts of stuff to a junk movement and all you'll have is a good looking junk movement.
But I think what it DOES show is the attention to detail that both manufacturers provide. Also, what are you "getting" for your money. Based on what the article claims to be true one could make the point that:
1)if both watches sold for exactly the same amount, the Omega delivers better value.
2)If the Omega was cheaper then the Breitling is overpriced and you are paying for the name, not craftsmanship.
3)If the Omega is more expensive then it is a case of "you get what you pay for.

Plain Jane movements are not inferior - Rolex movements are far from pretty and though competently finished they make no attempt to make them look like a piece of barouque statuary, but they are very fine movements none the less.

Nice article but I think it - rightly so - leaves it to the reader to make his/her own conclusion.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
That's inserting about the cases. When I read about the Omega's I wondered if it was as scratch prone as regular DLC cases. Nothing worse than a coated or plated watch that is chipped and scratched.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a subscription so I don't know if it's available elsewhere. Check their web site, sometimes they post articles for free.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Wish WatchTime had done a head-to-head comparison of the Omega Speedmaster 9300 and the Breitling Transocean Chronograph. That would have actually made sense, and I think the results would have been extremely close, since the TO does away with some of the negative points attributed to the Chronomat (i.e., heavy bulky case, no display back). Instead, we are treated to a comparison of two very different watches -- why? Because they both have black cases? Seems silly to me.

Nevertheless, the discussion of each of the movements is interesting. I have a 9300 Speedy, and I absolutely love this movement. The praise for the 9300 certainly seems well-deserved. Still, Breitling's B01 (which I also use routinely) is no slouch, and I think deserves much better than the faint praise that it receives in the review.

All in all, though, an interesting read.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I don't think it was a good comparison either, I think they just picked one of the most expensive black watches in Breitlings line up just so they would have a black watch to compare the omega with. I don't think the dark side has a good comparative watch, it's kind of in a class of it's own with the ceramic case and in house chronograph. It's a great watch.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've always thought of Breitling as a borderline fashion watch company. Omega has always been clearly the better watchmaker. So this news shouldn't really surprise anybody that has been following watches for a while.
Ah, I know what you meant now. Cheers!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I found it unfortunate that the article did not compare the Omega to the Transocean. For those who believe Omega is above Breitling, the Transocean Chrono with B01 is a game changer. One watch does not undo all of Breitling's issues, but the TOC is a step way up, and requires an honest re-evaluation by watch collectors in the sub10K range of the two brands.

Is there not a blacked out B05 based Breitling toc chrono with worldtime they could have compared to?

Reactions: pgoat

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Love the TO also. Not sure how or why they picked what they did. Prob as one poster said they both had black cases!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Reading the article, I don't think it was nearly so "Omega good, Breitling bad" as a lot of folks here seem to be saying it is. They do actually score them in the article, and it comes out 89 to 81. And the category with the biggest difference is 10-6 for wearing comfort - everything else is within a point.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The article seems to make the point that the biggest disappointment is the stamped bridges in the Brietling and the ordinariness of the whole movement. Make no mistake, I like Breitling a lot but now am just as interested in Omega.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts