WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interview with Berry Harleman, Catawiki Watch Expert - watchuseek.com

I thought I was reading Hodinkee for a minute there. This line stopped me cold:

What is it that you do as an expert at Catawiki?

BH: I curate the auctions, which means my team and I review every lot submission that comes in and check the authenticity and quality before we schedule it for auction.

Really? Even a rank beginner like me can spot a lot of, um, fanciful descriptions there.

·
Registered
963 Posts
For some reason too many people see auction houses as reliable gauges of authenticity. They most certainly are not, or can be variable. They are businesses that sell stuff and hype up the stuff they sell as much as possible. Naturally. The problem with certain market segments and especially watches is that the industry is extremely incestuous. How many auctions and individual auctioneers do Hodinkee for example promote and support, sometimes to the point of breathless hyperbole? That would be a lot.

Too many fakes of all sorts of antique goods and art pass through auction houses every month. Plus with the volumes that are often involved dodgy pieces can pass through even with the best will in the world. Never mind that if you buy a pig in a poke on eBay you have far more recourse to complain and seek and get a refund through them and/or PayPal and yet people are more reticent to buy from there.

·
Premium Member
13,455 Posts
You gotta be kidding right? That guy an expert? Very hardly, he isn't even a well known watchmaker and he doesn't have the pedigree of the real ones, I wonder if he knows movements well. I have tried once catawiki but never again, not worth the risk and far worse than ebay and chrono24 and no real warranty that what you buy isn't a stolen or a franken watch or even properly repaired. Auction houses are for the most of them crooks who are making huge margins by selling junkpile condition items at a fortune but as I said before and I will repeat again:"a fool and his money are always parted."

·
Registered
187 Posts
They even have a 'Marriage Watches' category!! The epitome of Franken watches. They have listed a lot of IWC 'Marriage watches'. That just shows their credibility.

·
Premium Member
13,455 Posts
They even have a 'Marriage Watches' category!! The epitome of Franken watches. They have listed a lot of IWC 'Marriage watches'. That just shows their credibility.
Yerp and they have a zero credibility due to their total amateurism and absolute lack of knowledge

·
Registered
8 Posts
What is it that watch experts at Catawiki are doing?
They value a mint Björn Hendal quartz chronograph at 325.- - 450.- €, which costs 349.- € brandnew.
Japanese quartz movement, made probably in China. Worth? Whatever you´re willing to pay for it. ;-)
Björn Hendal chronograph is always be an overpriced watches. The Catawiki experts put this in they minds when they calculated the estimate price. This is a price policy of the brand. Anyway, few models (like this or this) are not so bad at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts