1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Jimmy Collins here from Collins Watch Company in Los A
ngeles, CA.

Collins Watch launched two years ago on Kickstarter with the Bronson—an automatic field watch drawing inspiration from the world of audio engineering and analog recording equipment. Thanks to the support of backers around the world and many amazing people in this community, I was able to turn my dream into a reality. There is honestly nothing like seeing a watch you designed sitting on your own wrist. But, what’s even better is seeing it on wrists around the world. It was the feedback from our initial customers that made me realize this was not just another fun design project, but a life’s passion.

After the Bronson, I set about building a “real” watch company. We started selling on Long Island Watch and were lucky enough to join some truly amazing brands in shows around the country, like WindUp, District Time, and LAmicroLUX. We’re now gearing up to launch our next watch, Hyperion, on Kickstarter and I’m super excited to bring it to the world. While keeping some of the same audio-inspired design language from the Bronson, Hyperion takes a step forward in terms of simplicity and features—Sellita SW200 (with customer rotor plate), double-domed sapphire, brushed finish, 10ATM, to name a few. For this watch, I really wanted nothing extraneous on the dial. It was an exercise in “what can I take away?” more than “what can I add?” And that’s harder to do than it sounds!

I could dork out all day about design and watches, and watch photography, and music, and travel, and…well, happy to chat in the comments. Also happy to end a long spell of lurking on WUS with an actual post. Look forward to hearing from you, and don’t forget Hyperion launches on Kickstarter 4/23/19!

Yours,
Jimmy

P.S. Discount code for WUS members in my signature.

Collins Watchuseek 01.jpg View attachment 14069255 Collins Watchuseek 02.jpg Collins Watchuseek 04.jpg Collins Watchuseek 06.jpg Collins Watchuseek 08.jpg Collins Watchuseek 05.jpg Collins Watchuseek 07.jpg

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, IWC Pilot Spitfire, Sinn EZM 10
5,021 Posts
I like the design, especially the dial on the no-date version pictured above. The dial texture reminds me of the fabric covering a speaker, which, given the audio inspiration might have been the idea. I do find it odd, however, that the photo of the rotor boasts of the 38-hour power reserve. While typical of the movement you are using, it's low for the industry and doesn't seem like a feature you would emphasize.
The watch reminds me a lot of the Hamilton Khaki Aviation watch.

·
Premium Member
36,086 Posts
Very nice looking watch. The longer hands are most excellent.

I am going to try to make the Worn & Wound next weekend when I am in the city, and l look forward to seeing one in person.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I have often stared longingly at your watches at Long Island Watch. They're really beautiful, hope to try one soon someday!
And a fellow Angeleno, it's exciting to watch our quaint city become the Le Locle of California, with several other fantastic watch companies based here!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Jimmy, good to see you finally stepping from the shadows.

The Hyperion is a good looking piece, I could see myself becoming a 'Hype Man'. ;-)
Thank you, kind sir! Great to finally step up to the plate here. Perhaps I'll even go a step further and find a Land Rover forum to join now too ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome Jimmy! Nice to see a fellow Angeleno here and another LA based watch brand. Have you heard of our local group - LA Watch Gang?
Great to be here! I didn't know about LA Watch Gang. I know Watch Gang, the company, but don't think you're referring to that ;) Would love to join a meetup one of these days. I'm sure you guys have already met Nodus. Those guys are awesome. Very happy to see LA brands getting out there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like the design, especially the dial on the no-date version pictured above. The dial texture reminds me of the fabric covering a speaker, which, given the audio inspiration might have been the idea. I do find it odd, however, that the photo of the rotor boasts of the 38-hour power reserve. While typical of the movement you are using, it's low for the industry and doesn't seem like a feature you would emphasize.
The watch reminds me a lot of the Hamilton Khaki Aviation watch.

I love this! Thank you for noticing all the small details. I can spend days fussing over some little thing in the design that no one ever notices. Glad you mentioned the detail about the power reserve. Totally agree 38 hours isn't something to brag about. But, I studied A LOT of dial (and movement) text on other watches when I was designing this one, and started really questioning why some text is written at all. Like, why write "automatic" on a dial if anyone buying the watch would already know it's an automatic? I'm sure there is (or was) a purpose for that kind of text, but I wanted to keep everything on this watch pretty simple and relevant. To make a long story short, I've personally never seen the power reserve written on the back of a watch and thought it would be useful information to the user, and just a cool thing to try, even if it's not exactly a "feature!" Hope that makes sense.

LOVE that Hamilton btw and thanks for mentioning the audio reference with the carbon fiber dial! I wish that were intentional ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just learned you will be in SF, Worn & Wound's Windup Watch Fair, next weekend. Have fun.
Thank you! Can't wait for WindUp. We did the show in SF last year and had an amazing time. Highly recommend it to anyone in the Bay Area, or heck, anyone in California. It gets busy, but not overwhelming, and still plenty of opportunity to meet the brands and try on watches.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts