WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Admin Edit: Mirus Watches has rebranded to Attra Watches here: https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/re-introducing-attra-watches-new-official-thread-5005677.html#post49533307

Hi, folks!

Lucas Bernstein of Mirus Watches here. I'd like to tell you a little about my brand, about me, and of course... my watches. :)

About Mirus

I founded Mirus back in 2018 here in Long Island, NY with a simple goal of offering high quality, highly versatile Swiss Made watches. Although I've been a watch enthusiast for many years, the inspiration for founding the brand came from non-enthusiasts (believe it or not!)

Folks often approached me for advice on purchasing a 'good' watch after growing tired of cyclically buying fashion watches that break/degrade after only a couple of years. At first, I played with designs just as a hobby. However, when my friends, family, and colleagues saw them, they strongly encouraged me to take it to the next step; so I set out and designed something that I felt would fit the bill. The result is a watch that can be worn to any occasion whether it's in the office, at the beach, or a night out on the town. Most importantly, it's designed to last; I want these to be timepieces you can be proud to own and pass down to future generations.

Latin in origin, the word, 'Mirus,' translates to 'wonderful' or 'fascinating'. Our logo, the wreath, symbolizes timelessness or eternity, as it has no beginning or end. We feel that these embody the spirit of our watches and we hope that they invoke the same emotions in you when you wear one.

Mirus Logo Square - Small.jpg
We recently had a couple interviews if you'd like to learn more about the brand!

Interview with MyWatchLifestyle:

Interview with WatchMe Unboxing:

About Me

I prefer modesty, so I don't want to talk too much about myself (although I'm happy to answer any questions you may have, so don't be shy!)

I'm from Long Island, NY, born and raised. My background is in project management, having worked in IT, Healthcare, Media, and Entertainment industries. I'm proud to say that I've enjoyed a successful career in this space over the years; it's come quite natural to me. Nowadays, I serve in an advisory role where I coach project teams to perform their very best. I absolutely love what I do (2nd only to my love for watches! ;-))

The Mirus Classic Sport

OK, onto the good stuff!

The Classic Sport is our take on... well, a classic sport watch. However, we've incorporated some key design features:

The watch is designed to fit wrists of all sizes, which means it needs to look big, but still be small enough to fit on smaller wrists. How exactly do you make something look big while being small?
  • The watch, itself, is only 10mm thin (many in this segment are ~12mm.)
    • This allows for an easy fit underneath a dress cuff. However, the case sides are relatively flat (inspired by German design) which makes the watch look taller.
  • The case has a remarkably thin bezel.
    • This allows us to use a bigger dial within a 40mm case diameter; on average, our dials are 3-4mm larger than dials typically found in a 40mm sport watch. (This was not easy to accomplish with 100m water resistance!)
  • The lugs were reduced and shaped to fit smaller wrists.
    • This makes the dial look larger, relative to the rest of the watch. Additionally, the lugs curve downward to hug the sides of smaller wrists, but still remain flush with the caseback so there is no abrasion when worn on a larger wrist.

A lot of finishing goes into this watch! The goal is for the whole watch to play well with the light, while offering a myriad of visual contrasts upon closer inspection:
  • The bezel is a flat, Genta-style design with vertical brushing
  • The bezel bevels are polished
  • The top of the case and lugs are circular brushed
  • The sides and lug tips are polished
  • The caseback is polished with a circular bushed mid-section for the lettering and 'grainy' finished central portion with high polished logo
  • The crown is polished with embossed logo
  • Our clasps are brushed and signed with an engraved logo
  • Our bracelets are vertically brushed on the top with polished centerlinks. The sides of the links are polished and the underside is all brushed; this gives the bracelet a smooth feeling that breathes well and doesn't stick on the wrist

Design.jpg

Specifications:

• Movement: Sellita SW-200
  • Material: 316L Stainless Steel
  • Case Size: 40mm diameter, 47mm lug-to-lug
  • Water Resistance: 100m w/ screw-down crown
  • Dial: Applied indices w/ SuperLuminova
  • Crystal: Sapphire w/ AR coating
  • Strap: Silicone AND Leather included, both with tool-less spring bar system
  • Optional Bracelet: 316L Stainless Steel -- Polished and brushed H-Link bracelet w/ screwed links, all solid (including end links)

Pictures

DSC_0158 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0100 (1) - Copy.JPG

DSC_0076 (1) - Copy.JPG

IMG_0613 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0575 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0581 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0604 - Copy.JPG

Upcoming Events: Kickstarter, Website, and More!

We'll be targeting our Kickstarter campaign to launch sometime this Fall at the completion of our marketing campaign (don't worry, you'll have plenty of notice.)

We're still finalizing pricing (packaging, shipping, and logistics are being finalized at the moment,) but we're targeting a price point of $649USD on Kickstarter and $949 retail; in terms of price point, think of our main competitors as Christopher Ward, Oris, Monta, etc. (though we really just like to think of them as friends in a similar segment -- we absolutely lovetheir watches!)
  • Watchuseek members will be given advance notice so they can access our Super Early Bird pricing for an additional $50 off!

Some other exciting things to look out for:
  • We'll be sending out our prototypes for review within the next few weeks, so stay tuned, YouTubers!
  • We'll be revitalizing our website with fresh pictures, timelines, and additional product information!
  • We'll be looking to attend upcoming microbrand watch shows (think LA MicroLux, District Time, etc.)

Follow Us, Subscribe, Win a Watch!
I think most of you know the drill at this point; if you sign up for our newsletter at www.miruswatches.com, you'll be kept in the loop with regard to pricing, our kickstarter, etc.. Best of all, you'll be automatically entered in to win a free watch!

Don't forget to follow us on Instagram and Facebook!

Give me your feedback!
The greatest aspect of this forum are all of the ideas that flow through it. I'm eager to learn more about what you all think of our watches, both in terms of what you like as well as what you don't. Have a suggestion? I want to hear it! You never know, it may just make it into our watches. ;-)

Thank you all so much for your time and consideration. I hope to speak with you soon!
-L

·
Registered
31,320 Posts
OK, here goes-

Very attractive in all colors and good specs. I like the thicker and slightly longer hands and the simple indices. Makes for an attractive, yet easy to read dial in any condition.

I like the look of the bracelet as well.

The deal breaker for me is the white date wheel. I like it at the 6:00 position and the fact you beveled the window, but the white kills the look of those great colored dials.

Otherwise you have obviously done your homework. I might consider it via Kickstarter at some point, as your overall design appeals to me, so I signed up for your newsletter to keep in the loop.

Good luck.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Nice looking piece. I’d have to agree about the white date discs- perhaps they could have been colour matched but in an overcrowded market i understand how this may have bumped up yr production costs. Nice to see that the hands are the right size and touch the appropriate minute track and hour indices. The watch head looks quite versatile if worn on a metal bracelet or rubber strap. I think it would also look nice on an embossed patterned leather. Good use of a trusted movement also. Definitely something I would consider. Good job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I do like the thick Monta-esque hands and hour indices but agree with comments about the white date wheel and slightly overblingy bracelet, although I'd probably put it on leather myself. I like the small lugs but please allow enough space between springbar and case so that thicker vintage style strap ends won't rub against the case. I like and appreciate the minute hand which barely touches the minute hash marks but in two minds about the split second marks, sporty looking but is it necessary? Not sure. Otherwise very nicely styled with a simple understated look perfect for everyday wear.
Good luck with your venture OP!

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I’m diggin’ it. It’s a very attractive watch with a cohesive, legible dial and I think it nails the “sport watch” vibe dead-nuts. Offer it with a nice strap option (for a touch less coin than the bracelet) and I’ll be giving the green version some serious consideration. I really like it.

My one and only criticism is that the name and logo make me think immediately of Milus. Milus isn’t a very well-known brand, so I’m curious; are the similarities just a coincidence?

Anyway, it’s a great looking piece that I suspect will do well. I’m off now to check out your website and subscribe for the updates. Best of luck.

Edit: I see two additional straps will be included.

Edit 2: a little feedback - I think the “live” photos posted here are way better looking than the renderings on your site. Personally, I’d lead off with those.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
That's a lovely-looking watch. Well done!

(The white date wheel is fine by me. The contrast helps give visual balance to the dial layout.)

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
As a classic sports watch, it appears to be a solid watch. Plus, the indices, hands and metal bracelet add to the watch's overall aesthetics.

One point you may want to consider is the polished bezel bevels. As a sports watch, the bevel, as a whole, will probably be prone to getting scratched and nicked. As such, with a brushed surface, the scratches and nicks may not be as pronounced as if they were on a polished surface.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, folks,

Thank you all so much for your feedback! Please, keep it coming! It helps me to better understand what everyone wants so I can keep my customers happy.

OK, so regarding date discs --
I completely agree, a color-matched date disc would be AWESOME! It actually occurred to me quite early in the design process, but after doing some digging, it was quite a bit more challenging than I originally thought. I had a couple options to choose from:

1. Special order date discs to match my dials, retain my existing movement -- this is still an option for the future, but ultimately, would drive the price of the watch up and add another layer of complexity to the manufacturing process. Since I'm already on the more 'premium' side of microbrand pricing (over $500 on Kickstarter launch,) it gets a bit tough to justify to new customers that they should spend even more money on a watch they've never heard of - from a man they've never heard of - as his first Kickstarter release. And, as many of you know, Kickstarter campaigns tend to encounter manufacturing delays, and I want my first campaign to be the best possible experience for my customers.

2. Use a cheaper movement and order the date discs -- Although the value proposition/price point would be able to be maintained, I refused to do this because cheaper Swiss movements would be a compromise on quality. At the time, some of my suppliers were willing to do this for me, but ultimately, the supplier I chose is a group of folks that value quality and reliability as much as I do; they told me that they simply won't offer these to me out of fear of returns. In hindsight, I'm extremely happy I opted away from this.

3. Do nothing, offer this in a premium variant once the initial launch is successful -- Ultimately, this is what I went for. By keeping the price as low as possible and reducing manufacturing complexity, I'm mitigating risk and helping to keep my customers happy, which is what I'm all about. In the future (hopefully within the year of the first launch,) I intend on offering a more premium variant that will be packed with extra features based on customer feedback -- this is where you all come in! Including a matching color date disc, I've also been contemplating domed sapphire crystals, decorated movements and exhibition casebacks, and genuine crocodile leather straps.

Regarding Milus -- Yes, this is entirely coincidence. This is the first time I've heard of them! I did a quick Google search though and I'm confident that you all can see a clear difference in the product offerings. Nothing against them at all, just not anything that MiRus is associated with. :)

Regarding the hands -- I'm so glad you folks like them! This was a very big deal for me because I didn't want to use off-the-shelf hands on my watches as I feel it cheapens the look. This involved quite a lot of trial and error, but ultimately, it was worth it. I absolutely love how they came out and I feel that they flow well with the general design of the watch.

Regarding the website -- I completely agree, it needs to be gone over quite a bit. I will be dedicating time to it over the holiday weekend.

Of course, all other feedback you folks have provided has been extremely helpful as well. I want you all to know that I'm recording this stuff so I can consider the types of design changes that may be necessary in future versions and new models. Thank you all again!

~Lucas

PS - Keep the feedback coming, especially in regard to other watch goodies! Have a Kickstarter stretch goal that you think would be fun to add? Let me know!

·
Registered
425 Posts
ur watch reminds me of rolex OP.

I like the design, and personally I think the white date window is great and goes with the indices very well.

I do recommend using a diff font for the logo tho. The letters are not evenly sized and are not pleasing to the eye, a bit amateur / cheap / unclean.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I really like the hands, indices, and the brushed top of the bezel. Undecided on whether i prefer what you currently have, or an all brushed bezel. The point about the shiny part getting scratched makes sence. But i feel what you have done here (shiny bevel, brushed top) adds a layer of character to the design. Maybe offer a choice on the bezel? I am assuming it won't change production much, as it can be installed towards the end.

Love the dial colors, and I agree with the others. Your live pictures are more appealing, and you should showcase it more on your website.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I like the watches, but I didn’t see anything on price. What’s your price point going to be? One problem you might have is pricing yourself out of the game. I’ve seen quite a few micros and kickstarter brands price their watches in the $1000-$1500 range and fail to gain traction. Not many people are going to be willing to risk that kind of coin on an unknown brand’s initial offering. You can get a really nice Swiss Made automatic watch from a well known brand like Hamilton, Glycine, Certina and Tissot for under $400. Just wondering what your price is.

Also, I’d prefer an all brushed bracelet. Too much polish makes a watch look cheap to me.

Reactions: Fozzaru

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
It's a nice, timeless design. One functional consideration would be to make the 12 o'clock index visually more prominent or distinctive from the rest to assist in quick visual orientation. Either a larger baton or double baton or some other shape entirely. I suppose the date wheel at 6 serves a similar purpose. The design certainly works as is, but my personal preference is to always see the index at 12 stand out in some way. A more prominent marker at 12 would also help balance out the date window.

Although I prefer the more toolish aesthetic of brush link faces, the polished centerlinks on this bracelet are the right choice given the amount of polish on the watch head.

The sizing should have pretty wide appeal. That said, with such a large dial, this watch will wear large even though the rest of the dimensions are reasonably restrained. I think this would look borderline too large on my 6.5" wrist. Would love to see a smaller version at some point. Maybe 37mm.

What type of lume is being used?

·
Premium Member
Wolbrook Professional modded to handwind only
207 Posts
Looks good; I could be interested in a no-date option. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Pretty good looking, even with all the dust in the photos.

But not sure you got me at $650 - $950 (retail) for yet another watch with a basic Sellita and a flat crystal; I think even a slight dome like an Aquis makes all the difference.

I do like the Sinn-style bracelet though.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I really love the looks of these watches! 'Course, I'm not a watch guru and the most expensive one in my collection is under $400 but, these really appeal to me. I also like the white date wheel as opposed to dark ones. As I get older, the darker ones are hard for me to see. The black number on white shows up better for me. Good luck with your venture and I hope you really make a go of it in this, as stated, over crowded market.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts