WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my name is Samantha and I’m a rather new watch enthusiast. The two watches I own are character watches and actually what helped spark my interest in timepieces; they’re a Winnie the Pooh Timex that needs a new battery and Mickey Mouse Lorus.

However, I do find myself drawn to Art Deco style watches, which isn’t too surprising since I’ve been fascinated with the 20s but love learning about the 30s and 40s as well. I’ve been looking into online articles about these watches but am welcome to any suggestions on reading material.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
When you say art deco, the first watch that comes to mind is a JLC Reverso. Maybe start there, and you'll come across other vintage watches too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say art deco, the first watch that comes to mind is a JLC Reverso. Maybe start there, and you'll come across other vintage watches too.
Thank you for the suggestion, it looks like a lovely piece. Unfortunately, many of the JLC that popped into the search engine are just so far out my reach financially. I plan on going back to school for my masters and currently work a retail job. So for now I’ll just admire these through a computer screen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello, my current budget is $500. I’ll bump it up to $1000 if I have to get a good working watch but with how new I am to this I will admit to being a little hesitant in dropping that kind of money in one go.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hello, my current budget is $500. I’ll bump it up to $1000 if I have to get a good working watch but with how new I am to this I will admit to being a little hesitant in dropping that kind of money in one go.
Oh I am sure you can get something decent for that kind of budget. This site seems like a very good resource. Keep doing your research and I am sure something will catch your eye. Have you tried eBay?

art deco watch | eBay

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I am sure you can get something decent for that kind of budget. This site seems like a very good resource. Keep doing your research and I am sure something will catch your eye. Have you tried eBay?

art deco watch | eBay
Yes, I have looked into eBay and absolutely love the vintage Art Deco timepieces there. I haven’t bought anything yet but was pleasantly surprised to learn that eBay offers authenticity guarantee for some of the timepieces.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Have a look here:

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Keep an eye on the Vario website. Their Empire collection is sold out, but would be worth considering if they revive it. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Hello all, my name is Samantha and I’m a rather new watch enthusiast. The two watches I own are character watches and actually what helped spark my interest in timepieces; they’re a Winnie the Pooh Timex that needs a new battery and Mickey Mouse Lorus.

However, I do find myself drawn to Art Deco style watches, which isn’t too surprising since I’ve been fascinated with the 20s but love learning about the 30s and 40s as well. I’ve been looking into online articles about these watches but am welcome to any suggestions on reading material.

Font Art Circle Dishware Electric blue

Brown Rectangle Packaging and labeling Audio equipment Box

·
Registered
814 Posts
...Mickey Mouse Lorus.

My Dad has worn a Mickey Mouse Lorus for about 35-40 years. It's his only watch!

You got suggestions for Dan Henry and Vario, and I think those are great starting points. I'd also look at the Bulova Breton. It will be at the top end of your budget, but you might get lucky and find one on sale or used. Also have a look at Farer. They're not necessarily Art Deco, but Art Deco-adjacent.

Welcome to WUS!

·
Registered
6 Posts
For the future, a Stowa Antea or Partitio might interest you. Looks like the used prices start around $800 right now. For now, the Laco Classics watches are $540 new. The movements are Miyota 9000 series (manufactured by Citizen in Japan). I have not owned one, but others seem to have had largely positive experiences.
Watch Analog watch Silver Rectangle Watch accessory

·
Vendor
683 Posts
We are working on new variants for Empire but plagued by delays. mecaquartz will come first hopefully by end of Q1 this year and the last of handwound mother of pearl dials by June. We've set aside 200 cases for auto but the dials are not planned yet.

Keep an eye on the Vario website. Their Empire collection is sold out, but would be worth considering if they revive it. Good luck with your search!

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
We are working on new variants for Empire but plagued by delays. mecaquartz will come first hopefully by end of Q1 this year and the last of handwound mother of pearl dials by June. We've set aside 200 cases for auto but the dials are not planned yet.
Good to know -- thanks! (y)

·
Registered
953 Posts
The watch site Timezone has a lot of great articles in the archives. Some very thoughtful, well written stuff. There might be something there specific to your interests.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts