WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

First I wanna say that this is my first post, and that I have used WUS a lot as a spectator and I find this site very useful !

I got a ebay news letter this morning and saw a sale on the Invicta 17881 link HEREthe sale was 92% off from $995 to $69.99 and I thought.. Wauw that's an offer I wanna invest some money in.

I find the watch pretty sweet and after some research I could find a few comments on the watch on amazon, and they also liked it and recommended it. I was still a little suspicious about the offer, could it really be true that the watch was worth $995 ?

Then I found another site who finds bargains on the web and post them and there a guy writes that it's a hoax and that the watch isn't more worth than $85 and that amazon.com sells it in that price area all the time.

What do you guys think, is it a no-brainer offer or is it just a small cut off the original pricing?

//EMF

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Why would you want a watch that you can't see the hands?

Bob
I'm going to get my one "I'm not going to bash Invicta this time" yearly post out of the way here. I think it's fine. I doesn't take too long to make out and there appears to be lume on the hands so during a dive you should still see it quite well on top on a rather monotone dial, which is ideal.

Dang, that was one hard post to do . . . :-d

·
Moderator at Large
53,151 Posts
You already summed ip up very well.

Given you believe in fairy tails you got a good deal. If not you got an Invicta and paid a reasonable price for it. If the watch is sold for 69,99 and the seller still earns some money with it......well.....you got what you payed for.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I think they missed a decimal point, it should read $9.95! Marketing, that watch was never and will never be worth $995. If you like it then get it, you'll only be out $69.99 if it stops running. If it runs for the next 2-3 years then you got your monies worth out of it.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
This is the definition of a fashion watch - nothing horologically redeeming about it. Functionally - impossible to tell time due to lack of contrast between hands and dial. Completely uninspired quartz movement, cheapest possible materials used and little QC.
At 69.99 - it may be an ok price for someone who wants that look and size, 48mm gold plated, and fits well with a peacocking outfit. It will get noticed, and possibly may impress people who don't know much but view shiny big things as an indicator of quality.

But is it a deal? No. Is it a watch of any interest? No.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is the definition of a fashion watch - nothing horologically redeeming about it. Functionally - impossible to tell time due to lack of contrast between hands and dial. Completely uninspired quartz movement, cheapest possible materials used and little QC.
At 69.99 - it may be an ok price for someone who wants that look and size, 48mm gold plated, and fits well with a peacocking outfit. It will get noticed, and possibly may impress people who don't know much but view shiny big things as an indicator of quality.

But is it a deal? No. Is it a watch of any interest? No.
That's a solid statement on this thread. It's a fashion watch. If you like it, buy it. If you are buying it because you think you are saving a great deal of money, then this would be misleading. I collect watches, as many who subscribe to this site do. In that collection, I've got a couple of Invictas. I thought they would last 6 months. They all needed adjusting by a local watch repair shop who reset some of the functions in all the watches. They run perfectly now. I really question whether I should ever wear them, but I find myself actually taking them on holiday with me, and wearing them in the swimming pool or ocean, and treating them without the care as the other timepieces I have. They are particularly hilarious in Las Vegas. But here's the thing. They give me pleasure. And that's the bottom line. whether it's an AP, a Rolex, or a Swiss Legend...are you happy with what you've bought and what you wear. The great thing about choice is exactly that. To each their own. If you like that watch, go for it.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
And if you like the watch, you'll be just super crazy about Invicta's stellar returns policy and robust service after the sale!

I don't want to be cynical, in case the OP is a sincere newbie. If that's the case, do yourself a favor and avoid the watch and the brand. Bluntly put: Buying budget watches that are slapped together in China is a recipe for disaster, and this brand has the worst record on repairs than any company I can think of, and that's in the history of free commerce. To quote the great Peter Graves: "Ughhhh."

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
Not my style, but if you like it nothing wrong with getting it and the price is fine to me. I'd do the same for an Invicta that I liked the look of, like this one, well worth the money since it's held up/been more accurate way better than some other watches in my experience . .

Attachments

Reactions: MisterHo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of your replies.
I was aware that Invicta wasn't the most trustworthy brand but I'm still learning the watch market (among all other aspects of the watch world) where there obviously are some traps. One thing that confused me a bit was the fact that amazon state that this watch have a Swiss Qartz movement and I'm still that naive to believe that then it must be off some quality.

But yes you're absolutely right, that if I like the appearance of a watch then I should try it out. It is good to know that you are willing to help out when a newbie get's a little confused :)

- Thank you

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Swiss Quartz does not mean much. With basic quartz - there is nothing special about it - whole new movement can cost $10-30 online. Quartz ETA\Ronda are not much different than Miyota\Citizen or any other generic Japanese movement. (high-accuracy thermo-compensated quartz is a whole other story).

Don't worry about MSRP - what's the asking price is all that matters. And if movements are not very critical to you - focus on looks. Is it a watch you'd want to wear and would it fit your wrist (size\fit) and your style (flashy\conservative, etc)

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
$70 a lesson. or sign up WUS for advices FREE!
ummm, many times there's a price/cost of irritation for the "FREE" advice, mine included of course . . .

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Besides making complete butt ugly watches, their marketing deception is probably the single most thing that irks me about invicta. They continue to lure in unsuspecting victims into buying the "deal if the decade". I can't imagine the victim count if they actually made nice looking watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts