WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Months ago, when I was in the market for an inexpensive diver I remember trying to find side by side comparisons between the Invicta Pro and Grand diver. While anyone can look up the specs in text, finding a place with side by side images was a bit tough. So I guess I can pay it forward and post some here!

The two pictured below are the Pro Diver 8926OB, and the Grand Diver 3045. Both have the same Seiko NH35A movement, though the Grand Diver is rated to 300m and the Pro Diver to 200m. Note that the reason the two watches are 9 minutes apart is because the Pro Diver had JUST stopped from lack of wear earlier today. Both run at -5 to +15 seconds a day (well within the -20 to +40 second per day tolerance listed by Seiko).

This particular Pro has the Rolex style coin edge bezel. FAR easier to manipulate than the polished Omega style bezel on the Grand. While the 120 click uni-directional bezels are smooth and easy to operate, the polished surface on the Grand is about impossible to grip if you have any moisture on your fingers.

Not only is the case wider on the Grand, but its also taller by quite a margin. Though, since the case back is aggressively domed, it doesn't feel uncomfortable even with your wrist flexed all the way back.

The lugs on the Grand are what make it feel so much larger than the Pro. Thicker, longer, wider, and aggressively turned downward.

The crown on the Pro features Invicta's cross logo, while the Grand features the diving helmet logo, and deeply engraved "Grand Diver" lettering.

Not only is the case thicker on the Grand, but so are the bracelet links. Even though they are much larger in both width and thickness, I feel they are well proportioned to the Grand's overall size.

Both feature a display case back with a semi-decorated movement, but as stated before the Grand's case back is aggressively domed adding a lot of thickness to the watch. The Grand also features solid end links compared to the stamped end links on the Pro.

While both divers have a safety style clasp, the Pro has a Rolex style stamped sheet metal clasp, and the Grand has a Breitling style plate steel clasp. Personally I feel this adds quite a bit of perceived quality to the Grand.

The lume on both are very comparable. The hands shine much brighter than the bezel insert or hour markers, but calm down and match them in intensity after about 20 minutes. Both watches can still be read in darkness for 5 or so hours after being charged.

Over all the watches feel like a good value. The Pro Diver was bought for $85, and the Grand Diver for $105 on Amazon. Well worth the money paid IMO, and more so with the Grand Diver considering it has the plate steel clasp, solid end links, and 300m rating. Not knowing Invicta as a company, I dare say Id pay what retail stores are asking for it ($200-$250) if I didn't know it was available much cheaper online. Without going in to an Invicta bashing rant......I will say I was disappointed to see a fingerprint under the crystal of my Grand Diver.

The choice between the Pro and Grand is simply personal preference. Both are very well made, inexpensive, use quality materials and movements. I prefer the Grand Diver simply because I prefer 47-50mm watches with my size (stocky 6'5"), though the Pro Diver can be used in a professional setting without coming off as obtuse.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Great comparison! I like the comparison of the bracelets since i assumed they would have used the same type.

Anyway, I was just curious as to how you found out about the fingerprint under the crystal? Was it scrutiny under any particular lighting or a casual glance and you noticed the fingerprint?

Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great comparison! I like the comparison of the bracelets since i assumed they would have used the same type.

Anyway, I was just curious as to how you found out about the fingerprint under the crystal? Was it scrutiny under any particular lighting or a casual glance and you noticed the fingerprint?

Thanks!
I noticed it under direct sunlight one day. It almost looked hazy as if there were oils on it, but when I looked closer I could see it was smudged under the crystal. You can't see it unless you put it under a light.

·
Registered
Just one more TX Timex Enabler Club - Broths Hams n Subs
12,615 Posts
What a great review. I've looked for something similar in Amazon never to find it. The Grand Diver has been on my sights for quite some time but I was always a bit reluctant. I have other Invicta pieces and very happy with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts