WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
But whoever wrote this article is obviously not a watch person.

You can now pair multiple Apple Watches to an iPhone, but why?

For developers, this is a solid feature. If you’ve got a 38mm and 42mm Apple Watch you want to physically test a glance on, this is cool.

When it comes to consumers, I can’t see how this is handy. Unless you’re buying an Apple Watch for the kids (which is a bit silly), why would anyone have two?
LOL, OMG.

Anyways.

I myself am looking forward to using my AW Sport for fitness tracking/sleep monitoring (and maybe bar hopping), an AW with bracelet for the classroom/office, and maybe a AW Hermès for dressy events (sadly, and AW Edition is out of the question).

Editing to add: But now, how about pairing an Apple Watch to multiple iOS devices?

I like using the remote apps. But I would rather keep the movie files and Keynote presentations on my iPad.

·
Registered
17,816 Posts
But whoever wrote this article is obviously not a watch person.

LOL, OMG.

Anyways.

I myself am looking forward to using my AW Sport for fitness tracking/sleep monitoring (and maybe bar hopping), an AW with bracelet for the classroom/office, and maybe a AW Hermès for dressy events (sadly, and AW Edition is out of the question).
I'll bet they feel that a variety of bands, plus the variety of watch faces, would do the trick of multiple watches.

Editing to add: But now, how about pairing an Apple Watch to multiple iOS devices?

I like using the remote apps. But I would rather keep the movie files and Keynote presentations on my iPad.
I did some digging and found this:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204623

I haven't tried it yet, and it seems like a few hoops to jump through. It could be cool to keep another watch in the bag with the iPad just for presenting, but then again, the watch's battery doesn't last as long as a conventional remote's battery, and you can't plug in a watch for power while it's on your wrist. Better to have the one watch on your person so you know it's working.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll bet they feel that a variety of bands, plus the variety of watch faces, would do the trick of multiple watches.
Multiple faces and switchable bands does help increase the range of situations a watch can be in—but it helps most those who must make do with only what they have. Which is fine. It’s perfectly fine for a one-watch (or no-watch) person to admit they have no imagination for watches which the article author had no reservations admitting.

But it’s amusing because I’m so used to this forum where some people fret over which watch to get next and why.

I did some digging and found this:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204623

I haven't tried it yet, and it seems like a few hoops to jump through. It could be cool to keep another watch in the bag with the iPad just for presenting, but then again, the watch's battery doesn't last as long as a conventional remote's battery, and you can't plug in a watch for power while it's on your wrist. Better to have the one watch on your person so you know it's working.
Oooh, this helps tremendously—for Keynote. But what if I want to use Pandora or VLC? I’d rather have Pandora on the iPad hooked up to the TV; the sound is still great but the experience is underwhelming with the iPhone hooked up to the TV.

·
Registered
17,816 Posts
Oooh, this helps tremendously—for Keynote. But what if I want to use Pandora or VLC? I’d rather have Pandora on the iPad hooked up to the TV; the sound is still great but the experience is underwhelming with the iPhone hooked up to the TV.
I've streamed videos stored on my phone and iPad through my TV and controlled them from the Watch. I have to start them from the phone or iPad, but once they're going, I can pause, fast forward, etc from the watch. I wonder if Pandora and VLC would respond the same way.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've streamed videos stored on my phone and iPad through my TV and controlled them from the Watch. I have to start them from the phone or iPad, but once they're going, I can pause, fast forward, etc from the watch. I wonder if Pandora and VLC would respond the same way.
Oooh . . . But I have no TV. *sighs*

Seems a good idea then Apple owners can have a couple of watches with them then if they work a long day or go straight out after work and maybe get lucky and stay out all night then when one watch runs down you can use your second one. It could be a way around the useless battery usage problem ;-)
I actually get good battery life. It goes from 0% – 100% in less than two hours of charging. Also, setting the brightness to it dimmest setting and turning off “Wake Screen on Wrist Raise” when I go to sleep helps a little bit and I’m now at around 30% – 50% battery at the end of a day when I charge it before bedtime. Whereas, I used to be at 10% less than that before doing these tricks.

But there are times when, for some mysterious reason, the battery will drain very fast (and the latest WatchOS update did not fix that after all). Sometimes, I’ll wake up and it’ll be at 70% and by lunch it’s at 50% and the only reliable way to fix it is to restart it and restart my phone. Having even only one other watch would help so much when this happens.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I actually get good battery life. It goes from 0% – 100% in less than two hours of charging. Also, setting the brightness to it dimmest setting and turning off “Wake Screen on Wrist Raise” when I go to sleep helps a little bit and I’m now at around 30% – 50% battery at the end of a day when I charge it before bedtime. Whereas, I used to be at 10% less than that before doing these tricks.

But there are times when, for some mysterious reason, the battery will drain very fast (and the latest WatchOS update did not fix that after all). Sometimes, I’ll wake up and it’ll be at 70% and by lunch it’s at 50% and the only reliable way to fix it is to restart it and restart my phone. Having even only one other watch would help so much when this happens.
From what my friend who owns one as told me about the battery life he gets i don't think these are fit for purpose especially for what Apple charge for one if you bought one from new. Maybe the Apple 2 will be better but i do feel a little sorry for early customers who i think have been sold a lemon and this will not go down as one of Apples better products. IMO

Peter

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WatchOS 2 actually gives me noticeably better battery life than WatchOS 1 did—except for once in a blue moon when it doesn’t. And when the battery drain gets wonky, a simple reboot fixes it. Just so you’re clear, I’m not getting those battery issues everyday just once in a blue moon. Even with heavy use with checking Maps and Pandora every few minutes all day, I don’t remember a day when I was at less than 20% after 22 hours, and most days I’m at 30% – 50% battery left.

Not to rehash an old conversation but “it sux” is something lots of people said about the first iPhone and yet that v1 sold millions of units in that first year, with high satisfaction rates (despite flaws like: EDGE only, no cut & paste, no native apps); and now the same is happening on with the AW. On my watch, I have remotes for various media players, remote/viewfinder apps for various camera apps (nifty for tripod and selfie stick users), credit cards, loyalty rewards cards (great if you want to slim down your wallet to the bare essentials), a user client for my BAC breathalyzer, and the directions to where I’m going to (maybe a godsend depending on the car you have), and this is what I use which is only a fraction of what it could do. Not bad for $350 if you’re willing to settle for 38mm, and still not bad if you drop $400 or 42mm.

That said, if I was a heavy user of the green LED heart rate monitor—instead of the more energy efficient infrared heart rate monitor—then yeah, battery life is going to suck at around 12% drainage per hour which ends up being only 8 hours per day. But for what I do, I could comfortably add 1 – 2 hours of exercise, and if I stretch it, maybe 2 – 3 hours. Of course battery life isn’t the best—but if you would want to use the Workout app constantly, you probably also have your sights on more pro-level fitness trackers. But Apple has made the right compromises for what an average person would do with their watch.

Back to topic: If someone had multiple Apple Watches, they could easily set one aside for fitness uses; it would be nice to have a second watch for such a battery intensive task. At around 12% battery drain per hour, only the most gung-ho fitness fanatic would push the battery limits.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Not to rehash an old conversation but “it sux” is something lots of people said about the first iPhone and yet that v1 sold millions of units in that first year
I have not seen sales figures and for the first time Apple have not quoted them as they normally would have on new releases i did see somewhere they shipped so many millions, but you can ship 100 million that just means the shops are full. My mate as the Apple Watch 42mm Stainless Steel Case Silver Milanese Loop (MJ3Y2B/A) and i must admit it looks nice i love the milanese loop strap. What he and i don't like is his wife paid £600 from Apple yet on Ebay (UK) they are going for as little as £450 new and we saw one 2 months old sale for £360 i have never seen an Apple product drop in price so much and so quickly and with a Macbook, iPad, iPad mini and an iPhone i am a no nonsense Apple man. Could these be the biggest flop Apple as ever released OK as said i am Apple through and through and if the funds had been available i would have bought one because it's Apple as a lot of people did but i was lucky i could not afford one and have since looked at the composition and found this release sadly lacking.
IMO

Peter

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m looking at Ebay prices for the 42mm Sport ($400). Broken/locked for parts are going for $225 – $275; like new starts at around $300, and goes up from there depending on the warranty. The Sport is the most popular AW model and prices on that haven’t been going down, save for brick & mortar retailers using them as X-mas loss leaders to lure people away from online shopping. The cheapest I’ve ever seen a new one is $350.

As for shipped vs. sold, that’s been a problem I’ve seen only once at Apple (the PowerMac Cube) ever since Tim Cook became SVP of Worldwide Operations (and the Cube was early in his career at Apple)—his expertise is manufacturing and he runs a lean, mean, and tight ship. Even if demand for the AW drops, he’s not going to let a surplus happen.

Anyways—

A few months ago, I thought I’d have to invest in multiple straps to get mileage with my wardrobe. But since I’ll soon be able to pair multiple watches, my interest in straps has completely dropped and I feel more confident to save up and be patient for the v2, whenever that drops (even if it isn’t this year). I don’t see any point in getting another v1, but I love it and look forward to v2.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Anyways—
A few months ago, I thought I’d have to invest in multiple straps to get mileage with my wardrobe. But since I’ll soon be able to pair multiple watches, my interest in straps has completely dropped and I feel more confident to save up and be patient for the v2, whenever that drops (even if it isn’t this year). I don’t see any point in getting another v1, but I love it and look forward to v2.
Wow a real die hard Apple man even though the first Apple wrist iPhone is not that good or practical IMO your already looking forward to V2 well at least paring both you should know the battery will last even a long working day.

Peter

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow a real die hard Apple man even though the first Apple wrist iPhone is not that good or practical IMO your already looking forward to V2 well at least paring both you should know the battery will last even a long working day.
The battery already lasts 22+ hours for me . . . ?

(o.i.c.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts