WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my good friend is going to iraq for his 2nd tour soon. I was thinking he should have a nice watch while he is in the big sandbox! i was thinking either a mudman or maybe a cool tough diver like the seiko monster? i know 2 totally different ideas but what do you guys think? i would like it to be less than 200 bucks!
thanks

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
The Monster might be distractingly bulky. Any standard G-Shock should be fine, and the Mudman would be a good choice.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Going with firsthand experience, a mudman is a good watch that will minimize the amount of dust that gets inside the outer case. That said, if the budget is 200 or less, a Pathfinder is a fine choice as well. Since there is no atomic signal there, it doesnt have to be an atomic model. I personally wore my 1200 and my orange monster, although I hung up my monster towards the end as it now gains nearly 1 minute per day! I also had a DB Frog that I wore as well, but oddly only the british guys would ask it it was actually real (there are lots of fake frogs for sale over there. ) If I were going back again, it would definitely be a 1500 and a riseman or mudman. Its nice having a compass handy if you are getting dropped off a bird in the middle of nowhere, and need to quickly find a bearing!

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I also had a DB Frog that I wore as well, but oddly only the british guys would ask it it was actually real (there are lots of fake frogs for sale over there. )
That's rather surprises me, I must say. G-Shocks don't have a particularly high profile in Britain, and I wouldn't expect many people outside our kind of circle to have heard of the Frogman.

The fakes would be ebay fakes, I imagine, because I've never seen any kind of Frogman in Britain (although I think the Carnaby Street Casio boutique sometimes has them).

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
If I was still serving I would take two, Protrek & a basic PRG-80 G, DW-6900, always good to have a backup in the field.

When I go into into the field these days I always take a standby, "if anything can go wrong, it will."

Q-6

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Hi,
I'd say go with the Mudman. How about the camouflage Muddy?:

Has been my everyday watch for quite some time till I got the Riseman. But in an environment where dust and sand is an issue - I'd go with the Mudman|>.

Greetings, Sedi:)

·
Registered
244 Posts
.............going to iraq .................the big sandbox! ................ mudman .............. cool tough diver .........seiko monster....................? less than 200 bucks!
thanks
it's a desert man, where's he gonna dive??o|

look at all the signs!!! big sandbox(also mud).....hot/cold extreme....and definitely less than $200.

go MUDMAN :-!

i'd suggest the 9000. looks like a MILITARY watch (specially the OLIVE GREEN one with reverse LCD)

|>

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just be mindful that negative displays have much poorer visibility in lowlight conditions, and are pretty much useless for military applications.

Q-6
hmmm...i did not know that. putting the normal module into the olive green bezel might be the best combination then :-!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'd get him the Stormtrooper(StarWars, not SS) mudman. The sand will have less of a chance to get in and I think it would go better with the color of the desert fatigues.

·
Registered
990 Posts
That's rather surprises me, I must say. G-Shocks don't have a particularly high profile in Britain, and I wouldn't expect many people outside our kind of circle to have heard of the Frogman.

The fakes would be ebay fakes, I imagine, because I've never seen any kind of Frogman in Britain (although I think the Carnaby Street Casio boutique sometimes has them).
Almost all of the Brits wore some kind of really cool watch. One had a Ball that he wore daily, another had a Breitling Ti Chrono Avenger, Tissot T Touch, I could go on and on. There was another guy with a Geiz, and a few other collector grade Gs. It also wasnt unusual to see the occasional Rolex or Omega being worn either.

As for the fakes, yes most of them are sold by the local Iraqis at their huts they have set up on base, and they were pretty sad copies. Most were poor copies of 8200s.

Dive watches work well there because they are the best sealed from dust. The only thing you really have to worry about is getting dust/sand in the bezel, but a good washing kept it rotating smoothly.

US SF guys would sometimes wear Gs (5600s or 6900s) , but most would wear a Timex ironman with a cheap compass on the side, and a couple had Suuntos.

All in all, the Brits definitely had the best watches. Most worked private security, didnt meet any Army or SAS types this time around.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts