WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a legitimate panic yesterday when my second hand misbehaved (hour hand and sub-second seemed to touch and stick or it might have run out of juice for some reason). That problem has not reared its head again (despite ridiculously rigorous testing and fiddling for hours and hours) and the Nomos is working beautifully and *very* accurately (obviously, if it happens again, it's going back).

But the anxiety I had felt yesterday led to a ridiculous panic earlier when I had… wait for it… LOST my hour hand. Actually, as it was, it was merely a moment that happens fairly regularly on a watch where the minute hand and hour hand overlap. I experienced horrific amounts of embarrassment after I shouted to my boyfriend 'OH NO, IT'S GONE' … 'Oh… no… wait, THERE IT IS :-!'.

So I wondered if anyone, perhaps not to that degree of silliness, had panicked unnecessarily about their watch for any reason? Thought there might be some good stories to unlock from the f71 memory banks.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
You are not alone. I have one that happens fairly regularly.

I'll check the time after a fairly busy morning at work. My watch will be an hour or two slow. How the heck did my watch lose time. Is the movement going out? Did I bump it? What happened.

Usually this occurs after I haven't worn one for a while. I simply forgot to set it before leaving in the morning. Phew!! Im glad there's nothing wrong with my watch. Im just an idiot.

Sent by Lumia

·
Registered
12,811 Posts
The slim seconds hands on some of mine have caused concern when not seen, luckily with a wrist flick....there they are ;)

It has been known on the stubby ST5 hands to read the wrong hand :((

·
Banned
5,646 Posts
It had to happen more than a couple of times before I realised that when I've been concentrating on getting the minute hand set just so I sometimes set the hour hand wrong.

·
Premium Member
40,681 Posts
I had a legitimate panic yesterday when my second hand misbehaved (hour hand and sub-second seemed to touch and stick or it might have run out of juice for some reason). That problem has not reared its head again (despite ridiculously rigorous testing and fiddling for hours and hours) and the Nomos is working beautifully and *very* accurately (obviously, if it happens again, it's going back).

But the anxiety I had felt yesterday led to a ridiculous panic earlier when I had… wait for it… LOST my hour hand. Actually, as it was, it was merely a moment that happens fairly regularly on a watch where the minute hand and hour hand overlap. I experienced horrific amounts of embarrassment after I shouted to my boyfriend 'OH NO, IT'S GONE' … 'Oh… no… wait, THERE IT IS :-!'.

So I wondered if anyone, perhaps not to that degree of silliness, had panicked unnecessarily about their watch for any reason? Thought there might be some good stories to unlock from the f71 memory banks.
That gave me a chuckle. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I panic like that once per hour. I just don't learn! Lol! Made me laugh, thanks!

To relate to the topic of watch related panic, I get mildly stressed often when I'm heading off for a few days away for work and I can't decide which watch to wear and which others to pack for the journey. The agony of choice :( I have literally headed back into the house to change before setting off....!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for reassuring me that watch madness is an entirely normal condition ;-)

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I'm embarrassed to say recently when putting a different watch on and setting it i was concentrating so much on the seconds and minutes i forgot the hours . And of course this was pointed out by the wife and her mother who found it hilarious . All times it was an hour behind. And worse still it's happened 3 times this year . DW.

·
Registered
467 Posts
every once in a while I get a fraction of a second panic when I glance at my watch in the mirror and notice the seconds hand not sweeping. But i I have found it is merely an illusion as my brain is expecting it to move clockwise but in the mirror it is moving counter clockwise so it takes a bit for my brain to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I get mildly stressed often when I'm heading off for a few days away for work and I can't decide which watch to wear and which others to pack for the journey. The agony of choice :( I have literally headed back into the house to change before setting off....!
good to know, I am not the only one...

Regards from Shanghai,

Romain

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Embarrassingly (and has happened several times) I set the time on my Zeno Watch Basel, but I forget to wind it (manual wind). A few hours later I'm freaking out that the watch stopped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
71,472 Posts
You are most certainly not alone and I wouldn't call the panic irrational. It happened to me only last week when I was showing a tree how an axe worked and forgot to take my watch off. When I remembered I checked that the seconds hand was still going round and in the half second it took to accomplish I had already planned the trip to the watchmaker to get it fixed.

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
I wouldn't say that watch panic is irrational, I'd say it's justified because of how much we care about our watches, and we'd hate to break them. I know the feeling. But that's why I wear a beater watch like 90% of the time, and a nice watch the other 10% to avoid this kind of panic.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
You bought the Nomos and THIS is how you tell us?! ;-)

Post pics or suffer the meme-shame! Final warning.

Did you find the 33mm you were looking for?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 31 Posts