WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a Citizen Eco-Drive watch I like in both a mineral crystal and a sapphire crystal version. Near as I can tell, one is a US version (mineral) and the other a European (sapphire).

The price difference is between $50 & $100 depending on the retailer (total cost is about $240 for mineral and $320 for sapphire).

Is sapphire worth the difference?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
It kind of depends. I don't wear my watches if they are likely to get beat up and I don't knock them around a lot so mineral is usually fine for me. For $50 I might go for it for $100 probably not, unless it was a really special watch.

·
11,865 Posts
Not to me, but I don't wear them much!! If you are a crystal scratcher, it may be worth it.

One more thing to consider is the US version will have a 5 year warantee is bought at an AD. The Euro version will only have the 1 year (or is it 2?) intl' warrantee and you have to (usually) return it to Japan for the service. (This is from what I can gather, I have no experience with US or Intl' warrantee service). Something to look into if it matters to you.

·
Registered
778 Posts
If it was $50 I'd get the sapphire without thinking twice, but I'd have to think about it if it was going to cost $100. I always manage to scratch my mineral crystals.

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,169 Posts
Same here. I'd always go $50 more for sapphire over mineral but maybe not $100...but then I might pass entirely if it's mineral (not always though, I have lots of mineral glass watches).

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I am strictly avoiding watches that don't have sapphire crystals. The first day I wore my Zodiac Dragon Wing, I hit a door frame with it and got two deep scratches in the crystal; sapphire would have shrugged off the contact! You can polish out scratches with Flitz if they're not too deep; the scratches on the Zodiac are still there after much polishing! No, mineral crystals just don't work for me after discovering sapphire!

·
Registered
962 Posts
$50-maybe
$100-no
Check with your local watch repair shop and see what they charge to fit a watch with a sapphire. Ive heard some as low as $30, so then simply get the mineral and have it swapped. Then again, if you cannot find anyone that will do it for under $50, its worth it.
$100 is far too much just for a sapphire.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Scratches will destroy the beauty, as well as resale-value, of your watch. I'd say spring for sapphire unless you plan on using this watch as an expendable beater.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the responses.

Will go for the sapphire version if I can get it for an extra $50 or less.

Also need to check on the warranty - did not realize there was a difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts