WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
Both are METAS certified.

The 8900 has twin mainsprings/barrels and a "jumping" hour hand, so if you travel across timezones frequently you may find that appealing as you can adjust the hour forward and backward in 1 hour increments without hacking the movement. However, it lacks a quickset date, so if you want to change the date, you need to spin the hour hand around and around. Fortunately, turning the hour hand backwards will make the date go backwards, so if you over-shoot the date, you can go backwards.

8800 has a different architecture. Only one mainspring/barrel and it does not have the independently adjustable hour hand. It does have a quickset date.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
They are the same. Just different features.
Also the 8800 is probably thinner which might help to have a thinner case ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
None are better than the other, however, there are a few reports of the jumping hour feature getting misaligned if used often. Take that with a grain of salt. The 8800 is more traditional architecture with only a single barrel and quickset date. If the watch is meant to be a daily the extra power reserve on the 8900 is negligible. They're both great movements really, and if you travel a lot the 8900 is a no-brainer.

·
Premium Member
7,447 Posts
quick set hour > quick set date

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I know but if we are talking about a current gen PO the 8900 in 43.5mm is their flagship model.
There is no flagship. A PO is a PO, and they are exactly the same price.
One is more compact for smaller wrist and uses the 8800. There is no lesser model.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
That’s your opinion.
That is Omega positioning, nothing to do with my opinion. I don't influence Omega prices and marketing strategy.
The 8800 was done for a purpose, and a lot of people prefer the quick set date function, to the quick set hour in terms of feature.
On top of that the 8800 has the advantage of the reliability, there has been quite a few reports of the 8900 having issues related to quick set hour function.
The power reserve difference is meaningless, and the size gives a big advantage to the 8800 which can be used in a broader variety of case sizes.
These two movements are both equivalent in terms of accuracy / quality/ finish... which was the OP's question.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
That is Omega positioning, nothing to do with my opinion. I don't influence Omega prices and marketing strategy.
The 8800 was done for a purpose, and a lot of people prefer the quick set date function, to the quick set hour in terms of feature.
On top of that the 8800 has the advantage of the reliability, there has been quite a few reports of the 8900 having issues related to quick set hour function.
The power reserve difference is meaningless, and the size gives a big advantage to the 8800 which can be used in a broader variety of case sizes.
These two movements are both equivalent in terms of accuracy / quality/ finish... which was the OP's question.
Appprecite the info. Had issues with date functionality on my 8800 seamaster but the 8900 PO zero issues so far. People would like the PO more if the case was not so chunky.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Appprecite the info. Had issues with date functionality on my 8800 seamaster but the 8900 PO zero issues so far. People would like the PO more if the case was not so chunky.
Indeed.. I have an AT 8500, SMP Diver 8800, and PO 2500.
I have had no issue personally with the quick set hour of the 8500, but some people have had some as well with this movement. (and I like this feature but don't mind either way)
I would trade the movement in the PO 43.5 for a 8800 if it was to shave some of the thickness personally (Or the display case back for that matter even though being able to see the movement is very nice). That's one of the reason why I didn't trade my PO2500 and bought the SMP Diver 8800 instead.

Noone will argue both of these movements are excellent anyway, especially for the price.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Depends on how you look at it I guess.

Is more power reserve better? It may be to someone who rotates watches more.

Are two barells better than one? I read that it may help achieve less dramatic variances in timekeeping between full to low power reserve, but I could be wrong about that.

Are more jewels better?

Is a rotor with ceramic vs jeweled bearings better, albeit louder?

The functionality of the jumping hour hand is important to some and not to others. The part that makes that happen is a regular service item and is changed during overhauls as preventive maintenance.

Both are great, but one may be better to you than the other. I like my 8800 as well as my 8400 (two barrel, non date).

·
Registered
642 Posts
When shopping between the 8800 and 8900 i felt the 8900 was the more advanced movement. Dual barrel, more PR, jump hour (no danger zone) and slide bearing.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I have both the 8800 and 8900. They both keep excellent time. I noticed the METAS specifications are different for them, though. I asked about this in another thread. @Archer was nice enough to explain that it’s due to the sizes of the movements...8800 is smaller and has slightly looser METAS specs. Apparently COSC does this, too...who knew? Like a lot of things, where a watch falls within the ranges is just up to luck.

I don’t know that that really answers the question of if one is “better” than the other, but it’s info you may find useful.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have both the 8800 and 8900. They both keep excellent time. I noticed the METAS specifications are different for them, though. I asked about this in another thread. @Archer was nice enough to explain that it’s due to the sizes of the movements...8800 is smaller and has slightly looser METAS specs. Apparently COSC does this, too...who knew? Like a lot of things, where a watch falls within the ranges is just up to luck.

I don’t know that that really answers the question of if one is “better” than the other, but it’s info you may find useful.

Wow, i did not know there were different METAS specs, thanks for posting this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts