WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Weight pendulum instead of rotor bounces back and forth between sprung end points, ratcheting the winding mechanism forward. Pretty much a rotor with rotation limited by springs.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The last of these, produced in the 30's and 40's, were a throwback to the original device invented by A.L. Perrelet, and used on a pocket watch, back in 1777.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
The last of these, produced in the 30's and 40's, were a throwback to the original device invented by A.L. Perrelet, and used on a pocket watch, back in 1777.
pssst - JLC still used them in the 60's (caliber 815 no-date and caliber 825 date) inside Memovoxes.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Ulackfocus: Interesting, I'll make a mental note of that. It's a bit odd they would still use the design when they had better ones, but who am I to question JLC?
watch origins: I have a Cyma Watersport bumper that will be for sale if we can get around to servicing it, but the price will be in the neighbourhood of $150, which includes full service, of course, with documented timing results, gasket, and crystal, with Lizard strap. You may be able to find an 'as is' watch on the 'Bay for $30, but I haven't seen anything like that lately.
My apologies, I just realized I'm walking the line here, the watch is not actually for sale at the moment, I'm offering it as an example of what you can expect to pay.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Yeah, probably.

But why? For the most part, these are simple 'time only' watches, so you don't need to keep them running to keep the calendar caught up. If they're in good order, they'll run fine overnight after wearing all day, and if they don't they're in need of service and shouldn't be kept running indefinitely. If you're wearing them infrequently, it's simple enough to wind a bit, set the time, and strap them on.

With the exception of the Memovoxes, these watches are mostly >60 years old. Serviced properly, they'll last decades more, but they'll last longer if they're not run when not needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts