WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hello all,

I am a 28 year old, I work in finance. I am considering purchasing a used classic looking date-just, or most likely the Tudor version, you all know the type...and what they look like. It would be the Two-tone, with the ridged bezel, etc.

What I want some opinion on is....

1) Is this age and profession appropriate?

2) Is going with gold and stainless two-tone a big mistake?

3) Any other information you think I should consider?

I am fairly preppy. In the summer time, my office is business casual. My other watches I wear regularly and a Speedmaster Pro, a Tag, a Longines Chronograph, etc. My dress watch is a JLC Master Control Ultra thin (in gold). Just to give some perspective on what I am adding to the collection.

So, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts!

If I get some thoughts, since we all LOVE pictures... I will post pics of current collection.

Thanks!

- Brian

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Some people knock two-tone particularly, and gold in general. I happen to think it would be a great choice, and one which would serve you well for years. These watches are timeless classics.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
You know what I think is inappropriate? Someone who is obviously capable of accumulating a fine collections of watches that appear to give pleasure in both wearing and acquisition and then who comes to a forum for reassurance that it's OK to buy another watch of a certain style.

Jeepers, by your admission of career CV and current status you seem quite capable of making a lot of good decisions. If a two toned Datejust or Prince Date style is on your wish list for another watch, why in the world would you care what others think is appropriate for your current conditions?

The two toned watch isn't for EVERYONE...only those who happen to like the attributes of a gold/stainless combo in what is arguably one of the pillars of watch design and heritage. Given your current line up of timepieces, who wouldn't want to switch in an iconic Rolex once or twice a week to derive the enjoyment and basking in the good fortune (or luck) that allows you to indulge this passion.

Buy whatever watch you like and keep it for as ever long as it gives you, and only you, pleasure. If that means that you make a watch buying decision or two that ultimately feels like a mistake, you can always dispose of the watch to someone who feels differently. Stop asking others for validation of those decisions.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know what I think is inappropriate? Someone who is obviously capable of accumulating a fine collections of watches that appear to give pleasure in both wearing and acquisition and then who comes to a forum for reassurance that it's OK to buy another watch of a certain style.

Jeepers, by your admission of career CV and current status you seem quite capable of making a lot of good decisions. If a two toned Datejust or Prince Date style is on your wish list for another watch, why in the world would you care what others think is appropriate for your current conditions?

The two toned watch isn't for EVERYONE...only those who happen to like the attributes of a gold/stainless combo in what is arguably one of the pillars of watch design and heritage. Given your current line up of timepieces, who wouldn't want to switch in an iconic Rolex once or twice a week to derive the enjoyment and basking in the good fortune (or luck) that allows you to indulge this passion.

Buy whatever watch you like and keep it for as ever long as it gives you, and only you, pleasure. If that means that you make a watch buying decision or two that ultimately feels like a mistake, you can always dispose of the watch to someone who feels differently. Stop asking others for validation of those decisions.
A little harsh... but overall solid advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
I work at a brokerage firm and wear a two tone DateJust. Also a solid YG DateJust.

I have never been a believer in certain watches for certain ages. That has always felt like a stereotype to me. If you like it, wear it, regardless of your age.

As Kawika said, it's your decision, no one else's. I also think the rest of the world doesn't get hung up on this watch stuff the way we do. ;-)

Jeannie

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
A little harsh... but overall solid advice. Thanks.
Don't mind him. He gives a ton of great advice here and this just happens to be one of his pet peeves. (I think)

Although I think a TT DJ is a fine choice, I personally would choose something a little more sporty. You have several nice watches for "dress", why not a SS GMT/Exp II/Sub/SD? It seems to me that more of your watches lean towards the dressy side rather than sporty......why not add something to the speedmaster? TT watches are fine, but you would definitely be buying it because you like it.....TT Rolex watches hold their value poorly over time. JMHO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts