WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
341 - 351 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
10,155 Posts
..SBGH015?? *Smacks forehead* If you want a SPECIAL Grand Seiko, in steel, but like my SBGJ005, then track down a SBGH003. A similar green dial, a SPECIAL but not mentioned on the dial and without the tacky Japanese stye "gold badges on a Honda prelude* thing going on with the SBGH015. I mean - how many fonts can you use on one watch??
It just makes me smile when I look at it. There is a level of that strange Japanese hyperbole in that watch (and all the 50th watches). The only thing that would make it better is if it said "Super" instead of special. I like watches that make me smile, my favorite Rolex are the first and current Milgauss with the quirky Thunderbolt second hand, my favorite Seiko is the ocean inspired Credor LE with the goofy talking Mr. Magoo-san laughing fish on the back, I'm grinning from ear to ear just thinking about it (though I would change the strap), how often can you say my watch has crabs? Come to think of it they should have put Hattori glasses on the lion, now that would be cool!

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
It just makes me smile when I look at it. There is a level of that strange Japanese hyperbole in that watch (and all the 50th watches). The only thing that would make it better is if it said "Super" instead of special. I like watches that make me smile, my favorite Rolex are the first and current Milgauss with the quirky Thunderbolt second hand, my favorite Seiko is the ocean inspired Credor LE with the goofy talking Mr. Magoo-san laughing fish on the back, I'm grinning from ear to ear just thinking about it (though I would change the strap), how often can you say my watch has crabs? Come to think of it they should have put Hattori glasses on the lion, now that would be cool!
This is subtle elegance with a cheeky green tint...

This is scary...

The Hattori L.E. is amazing though.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Regarding all those fonts on the dial, I'm pretty sure it's because Japanese designers perceive fonts in "our" alphabet quite differently as we do.
I think you're right, apparently, the Japanese find English writing beautiful and exotic, which is why quite a bit of Japanese merchandise have nonsense phrases in English written all over it.

Japanese Are Sold on Skewed English : Language: Need Up Gel and Super Winky condoms are just a few examples of quirky product names and slogans that entice consumers. - Los Angeles Times

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
I think you're right, apparently, the Japanese find English writing beautiful and exotic, which is why quite a bit of Japanese merchandise have nonsense phrases in English written all over it.

Japanese Are Sold on Skewed English : Language: Need Up Gel and Super Winky condoms are just a few examples of quirky product names and slogans that entice consumers. - Los Angeles Times
Sure but that is something entirely different to the suggestion that Japanese designers don't understand the use of type as a design element, especially on a product with numerous comparative examples and is one that will see sales overseas.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Is the snowflake worth the extra money? Im tossing up between the snowflake and the black model that has the same markers as it. But it costs about $1000 less used and much more new? Ive only seen photos online, and from them it doesnt look THAT nice and looks a bit wood rather than snow. also considering the sbgh001

341 - 351 of 351 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.