WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so i decided to buy my first "luxury watch" over 2000 dollars, i wanted a 36mm 100 wr watch similar to the oyster.

I was between a nomos club and a tudor 1926 but after some thoughts i decided to save for the tudor.

When i was thinking that i wasn't have to made other decisions, a friend of my grandfather decided to sell his never used two tone tudor at the same price than a new steel 1926 (the numbers and date were hard to read for him).

I don't know if a two tones watch would be excessive for my persona, for the context im a year near to the 20s and im a college student (engineering so the watch could be in some hard work environment) the school and the house are safe places, but the work is not very safe(its almost during the night, some coworkers are not reliable, and the clients could see the watch), so i think the steel one would be more discrete.

Should i keep saving for the steel one, or i should pay 1000 dollars (almost half the watch price) to reserve the two tones watch. This would be only expensive watch in 4 years because im also saving to buy a rolex op or explorer for my graduation.

Also my moms card can buy the steel one in 15 payments of 150 at month so after i get the 2300 dollars i don't loose them inmediatly, keeping some extra money for emergencies

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I would not spend a 1000 on a watch I dont really want. Better bite the bullet

Personally I think a two tone watch on a 20y old guy is a bit much. Might be a cultural thing though. It also looks better on a darker skin. On a really white skin it looks pretty bad (imo)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Personally I think a two tone watch on a 20y old guy is a bit much. Might be a cultural thing though. It also looks better on a darker skin. On a really white skin it looks pretty bad (imo)
Actually i really feel in love with that tudor and yes i also think a two tone watch is very excessive for a young person, but at the same time is like that make it more interesting to wear

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2 tome or full gold is fine at any age. Ask all the people wearing the fashion ones, they are all gold or rose gold.
Well the fashion is not much my concern, literally my closet only have a pair of boots, 2 jeans, 2 suits, a couple of shirts and a safari/field jacket.
The subject that worries me is the safety, the steel one is discrete but the two tones could attract some dangerous people.

·
Registered
31,631 Posts
Always buy what you really want.....period.

I’m 62 and I’m still not into gold watches, at your age I would have run a mile.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Always buy what you really want.....period.

I’m 62 and I’m still not into gold watches, at your age I would have run a mile.
It's like my guilty pleasure, my grandfather used to wear gold watches, ironically now he uses steel casios, but when i was a kid they were like my goal, my first watches where gold plated and i sold a couple to get money for college but i still like them.
It's like the two tone would be to show to my family and ti impress my grandpa that i achieved something working. and also to tell me that im doing the things good and if o keep working better things would be in the way

·
Registered
5,928 Posts

Buying watches you don't like has become a sort of a "thing" on this forum. The OP has articulated so many reasons why the tu-tone is not the right choice, that I don't understand why he's asking.

If the OP is working with dangerous people, the best thing to do is not wear the watch to work. I find it difficult to imagine a scenario in which your co-workers would openly mug you, but if I absolutely had to work in an environment like that, I would not wear any watch in it, except maybe the Bombmaker's Friend (the Casio F-91W).

Finally I wouldn't be putting a luxury watch on credit and paying interest. Buy it from cash or save up. Personally I think the Club is a bit more interesting, and looks good on a stack of different bracelets and straps depending on time of year and so on. Has lume, too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buying watches you don't like has become a sort of a "thing" on this forum. The OP has articulated so many reasons why the tu-tone is not the right choice, that I don't understand why he's asking.

If the OP is working with dangerous people, the best thing to do is not wear the watch to work. I find it difficult to imagine a scenario in which your co-workers would openly mug you, but if I absolutely had to work in an environment like that, I would not wear any watch in it, except maybe the Bombmaker's Friend (the Casio F-91W).

Finally I wouldn't be putting a luxury watch on credit and paying interest. Buy it from cash or save up. Personally I think the Club is a bit more interesting, and looks good on a stack of different bracelets and straps depending on time of year and so on. Has lume, too.
I didn't think it but yes, it's kind of dumb wear an expensive watch to that kind of work.

Buying the watch in monthly payments wouldn't be on credit or payment interest, it would be only to divide the expense of existing money in my account and for my mother to use some advantages that the card gives her from a monthly expense.

I also like the club its more casual so it would be very funny to use, but it cost the half so, i could buy it in a year or two

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
I didn't think it but yes, it's kind of dumb wear an expensive watch to that kind of work.

Buying the watch in monthly payments wouldn't be on credit or payment interest, it would be only to divide the expense of existing money in my account and for my mother to use some advantages that the card gives her from a monthly expense.

I also like the club its more casual so it would be very funny to use, but it cost the half so, i could buy it in a year or two
Got you - well if it's no skin off your nose (i.e. won't cost interest) then may as well collect the points. I am pretty sure the Clubs will be around for a long time and I think they represent Nomos at their best.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Plenty of time for two-tone watches.....when you retire. ;)

·
Premium Member
Rolex 116618LN, Rolex MG, Rolex DSSD, Rolex SD43, PAM176, PAM1305, Omega PloProf, SeaMaster300,
776 Posts
I rather like this one. Clad gold so price is reasonable. Gold is brushed and will last a very long time.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Plenty of time for two-tone watches.....when you retire. ;)
Well, I have found a couple that are nice and don't look like a retirement watch:

This Citizen AT9035 is one of them. (It DOES look like a retirement watch on its original bracelet, but not so much on the leather strap). The Oris Artelier Complication is another (on a leather strap, of course).

Reactions: Aivan47

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I have found a couple that are nice and don't look like a retirement watch:

This Citizen AT9035 is one of them. (It DOES look like a retirement watch on its original bracelet, but not so much on the leather strap). The Oris Artelier Complication is another (on a leather strap, of course).

View attachment 15829750

View attachment 15829751
I think that the problem with the two tone watches is more the bracelet than the watch itself

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I think that the problem with the two tone watches is more the bracelet than the watch itself
Totally agree - the two-tone bracelets just kill it for me - but I find a gold bezel on a steel watch can look really good - On my citizen, I know the photo doesn't show it well, but with the brown leather band it looks almost rose gold in most light - it went from being my least favorite watch to one of my regulars. (I had it on a black strap, and it didn't work as well as the brown).

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I love my TT Tudor (c/w diamond markers), but then I am coming up to 64, so possibly my opinion doesn't count in this context!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I rather like this one. Clad gold so price is reasonable. Gold is brushed and will last a very long time.

View attachment 15829733

View attachment 15829734

View attachment 15829736
I got this very watch a couple of months ago and love it. The bezel and pushers are solid gold, the crown and bracelet are wrapped gold and looking at the links have a good bit of gold wrapped. The brushed gold has got a much warmer tone than polished imo, which does look a bit bling, but each to their own. I would say buy what you like and can afford. Can't ever go wrong with that.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Aivan47,
I am a fan of Two-tone watches, but with that said, any doubts about any watch you are looking at should give your your answer. Buy what you really want and can afford from the start. It will save you money in the long run. Wear what you like, don’t worry about what anyone else thinks. You are all that need to be happy. I wore a Rolex Sub. all through college. Never even had many compliments! Don’t really think anyone else care or noticed. But I did and enjoyed my watch Immensely. This was in 79’ so a long time ago. Vance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts