WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on this forum for a few years now, and it's slowly dawning on me that we seem to be seeking "satisfaction" with our collections, and I will NEVER get there.

I ADORE my collection, I love wearing my watches... but damn if there aren't a dozen or so timepieces dancing in my head that I'd love to own too. But really WHY? If I keep buying new watches then I don't have enough wrist time available to really enjoy what I already have.

So then I think... ok no problem... lets flip some and buy new ones. Problem is I've reached the point where the majority of my collection I would consider "unflippable"... I don't want to sell them. I like them. I want to keep them.

Does it ever end? Has anyone actually reached the point when you're not reaching for the next one?

Oh and for the record the ones dancing in my head at this moment:

Rolex Explorer II 216570 (Black)
IWC Portofino 8-day (Blue)
Bremont Boeing 247 (Black)
Glashutte Original Senator Observer (White)
Halios Delfin
Omega Speedmaster Titanium (Blue)
Armin Strom Gravity/Manual Water
Panerai PAM320
Baume et Mercier Capeland Flyback Chronograph

Ridiculous...

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I think I am. I've given until my birthday next year before I even consider a new band, the only exception being replacing something I already have.

You can quote me on this.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I'm satisfied to a point.

After I got my pebble, I can't seem to want to buy another mechanical. Although the pebble is not perfect, I think smart watches will really be so essential one day in ways you and I cannot imagine. At that point, my mechanicals will be in the safe for the next generation to sell.

One app that the pebble have to prove my point: there is a contractions timer to time my wife's contractions for delivering the baby. This is one of those times a device strapped to the wrist beats taking the phone out of the pocket, such that my two hands are free to help, and the seconds of time lost it takes to find my phone is actually crucial.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

After I got my pebble, I can't seem to want to buy another mechanical. Although the pebble is not perfect, I think smart watches will really be so essential one day in ways you and I cannot imagine. At that point, my mechanicals will be in the safe for the next generation to sell.

One app that the pebble have to prove my point: there is a contractions timer to time my wife's contractions for delivering the baby. This is one of those times a device strapped to the wrist beats taking the phone out of the pocket, such that my two hands are free to help, and the seconds of time lost it takes to find my phone is actually crucial.
Is this your first child? I thought timing contractions was a good idea too... until the actual moment comes along... then you're just panicking and don't remember to push the buttons....

·
Registered
15,232 Posts
Reached that point of satisfaction long ago.
I still buy - but mainly out of curiosity, and a desire to study it.

No more "lusting" or "hankering" after.

Kinda like taking an active interest in cooking techniques, even though one is satiated.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Is this your first child? I thought timing contractions was a good idea too... until the actual moment comes along... then you're just panicking and don't remember to push the buttons....
The contractions bit is just an example (not my first). There are many more ways why notifications on the wrist (driving eg) is actually more useful than a having a phone attches somewhere.

The point is that, if there was one phenomenon that can make me debate & choose something else over my mechanicals, it would be the utility of apps on the wrist.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The contractions bit is just an example (not my first). There are many more ways why notifications on the wrist (driving eg) is actually more useful than a having a phone attches somewhere.

The point is that, if there was one phenomenon that can make me debate & choose something else over my mechanicals, it would be the utility of apps on the wrist.
I don't think I could ever make that transition. I just removed my one piece wrist electronics and moved it to my belt... my fitbit. Just switched to the FitBit one.

Reactions: Crunchy

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I knew from the title you posted this Max, even before I saw it was you who posted it. ;-)

For people like you and me and many others here, the ONLY answer is NO. We get something and say "That's It, I'm completely satisfied." Then we look at the new posts for the day and we see someone got something new and shiny and we think, "ooh, I likey!"

I'm sorry Max, but the only way to get past the "I want something else" is to find something else to enjoy, besides watches. Who knows whether either of us can do that?

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I knew from the title you posted this Max, even before I saw it was you who posted it. ;-)

For people like you and me and many others here, the ONLY answer is NO. We get something and say "That's It, I'm completely satisfied." Then we look at the new posts for the day and we see someone got something new and shiny and we think, "ooh, I likey!"

I'm sorry Max, but the only way to get past the "I want something else" is to find something else to enjoy, besides watches. Who knows whether either of us can do that?
You know me too well Rod....

I really want to be satisfied... I want to be like McDuck and go swimming in my watches... but I keep wanting more!

*Sigh* you're probably right... We're doomed aren't we?

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Doboji said:
Is anyone ever satisfied?
Yes, two times:

1) for a few days after I get a new watch

2) When I'm not haunting the watch fora

Sounds bad, but it's true. Hanging around here causes us to obsess and spend lots of time thinking about the wrong things in life.

After my fiance arrives here with her son from China tomorrow, you probably won't see me around for quite a while. (and rightfully so)

The beauty of it is that in the meanwhile, I've "put in my time" here. Researched, collected for years. I now have a nice overflowed box full of nice watches from which to choose every day.

When it's time to pick a watch in the morning, I'm like an evil overlord looking down on his kingdom. "Buaa-hahahaha"

When I look for the time at a nice watch during that day, that gives me a little boost of pleasure, no matter HOW bad the day is going otherwise.

Then, I get bored, come back here, admire my fellows' watches, maybe buy one, maybe sell one. I think it'll be a lifelong hobby, and one that doesn't suffer from being in remission.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nope, only thing holding me back is the lack of funds for more watches! Next up is a Steinhart

Sent from my C6602 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,629 Posts

Silly man, you know the only real way to time contractions is on a $30k chronograph....... ;-)

Congrats on the new incoming!!

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Silly man, you know the only real way to time contractions is on a $30k chronograph....... ;-)

Shouldn't it be a Tourbillion Chrono to ensure gravity doesn't interfere with the accurate timing?

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reached that point of satisfaction long ago.
I still buy - but mainly out of curiosity, and a desire to study it.

No more "lusting" or "hankering" after.

Kinda like taking an active interest in cooking techniques, even though one is satiated.
This sounds remarkably like the Heroin addict who still shoots up for "academic purposes"....

·
Registered
779 Posts
Isn't that the journey for most of us? Looking for the next acquisition. Preparing the funds to purchase, whether saving, flipping, or using means at hand. Then finally acquiring and enjoying.

I don't plan on stopping. But at the same time, I enjoy the ones I have and not let the desire for another watch ruin that enjoyment.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Isn't that the journey for most of us? Looking for the next acquisition. Preparing the funds to purchase, whether saving, flipping, or using means at hand. Then finally acquiring and enjoying.

I don't plan on stopping. But at the same time, I enjoy the ones I have and not let the desire for another watch ruin that enjoyment.
I don't feel like the process of seeking and acquiring hurts my ability to enjoy what I have, but buying too many does mean some watches don't get enjoyed enough... know what I mean?

Reactions: wschofield3

·
Registered
246 Posts
I collect a lot of things other than watches... I haven't found a single collection that I have been "satisfied" with. I love all of my collections, but I don't think there has been a single time where I have been able to say "I have enough, no need to keep buying/flipping/etc."

·
Registered
3,467 Posts

Thanks!

Shouldn't it be a Tourbillion Chrono to ensure gravity doesn't interfere with the accurate timing?
Yes, indeed I was going to do a this or that thread with the pebble vs this:
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1399570161.954802.jpg

Never mind the fact that one costs 1000 times the other. :D

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have put considerable thought into this. Because I am kind of heart, as a service to you, I can rent out wrist time and wear several of your "un-flippables" in rotation to allow you to pursue your fresh fancies. For a small extra fee I can also write you a monthly report on how much they have been enjoyed.

No need to thank me... I would do the same for anyone here...

1 - 20 of 72 Posts